Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Watermelon Cleanse
Posted by: ashleekanaan ()
Date: June 01, 2009 05:32PM

Hi everyone!!
I have decided to do a 3-day watermelon cleanse which consists of only consuming watermelon (with seeds to promote extra colon cleansing) for 3 days.
I also will try to consume a full gallon distilled water with lemon during the day to reduce hunger and then a stimulant laxitive herbal tea in the evening.
I have not done a watermelon cleanse and was wondering if this is the way I should do it? Is anyone out there fimiliar with the effectiveness of watermelon? I just love it, so juicey and water filled..It makes me full, and effectively stimulates bowel movements :-)
Anyways, I have been feeling a big lathargic for the past two days and my body is asking me for a break. Any input would be so appreciated!
Health and Happiness to all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Watermelon Cleanse
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 01, 2009 06:52PM

The 'Ultimate Fruitarian' (Anne Osborne in Australia) does
Watermelon Cleanses.
Buy Organic, and you can juice the Rind.....WY

[images.google.com]

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: June 01, 2009 07:26PM

If you consume enough watermelon,any additional water is not necessary and potentially dangerous...BTW,the WM will not cleanse you.

Date: June 02, 2009 02:42AM

thank you C.dove I have read many articles saying how well WM cleanses due to the high amount of water and its ability to 'flush' the intestines/colon. Please advise if I am incorrect.
Thank you!

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 02, 2009 02:56AM

I agree with C. Dove. Its not the watermelon that cleanses your body, but your body. That being said, eating only watermelon for most people is much cleaner than their normal diet, and in such circumstances, the body has extra energy to clean out old stuff. Also, all the fiber helps clean out the digestive system for those who don't eat that much fresh foods.

Also, as C Dove said, extra water will not be necessary. If you are thirsty, then by all means drink. But I am guessing after you do this for a while you will find yourself not thirsty.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: June 02, 2009 06:34AM

watermellon makes me go to the bathroom a lot so be prepared. A couple of days ago I juiced some carrot and cucumber and had to run to the bathroom several times it was so frusterateing and kind of imbarassing because I had to leave the class room several times. So beware of the watermellon and cucumber.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 02, 2009 03:09PM

..yes, the watermelon and gallon of water sounds like one diuretic cleanse on top of another; which considering the low electrolyte (sodium) content of watermelon, water intoxication is possible..

-- medium size watermelon (4,518 grams or 10 lbs.) has about 21 cups of water

-- gallon of water is 16 cups

-- 21+16 = 37 cups of water

[www.nutritiondata.com]

..I like the idea of whole food 'garden cleanses', just would keep track of electrolytes.

How much watermelon were you thinking? What do the articles say to do for sodium?

blessings

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2009 03:17PM by loeve.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 02, 2009 06:13PM

if i eat watermelon ... just watermelon for a few days i get phlegmy (sp?) , as bryan says its soooo lite on the digestion , the body is able to clear out the junk ... i used to be a smoker so there is alot of junk lol, so a few days of coughing out crap is a welcome thing smiling smiley gross yes but welcome lol

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: June 03, 2009 03:43AM

Thank you all for your replies
I have not read anything about the sodium however, I LOVE watermelon and figured it would be nutrient sufficent and delicious. I have thus far (being on my 2nd day) eaten two rather large watermelons. I decided to skip the gallon of water today, only drinking when I was thirsty. However I am drinking an herbal laxitive tea in the evening as well as taking an all natural herb based laxitive before bed (4 tablets) I have yet to have a "overwhelming" bowel movement but have rather had 2 smaller ones a day..However, I feel like there is more inside of me I am just awaiting its depart LOL.

Posted by: cocoa_nibs ()
Date: June 03, 2009 02:20PM

I would skip the laxative tea and do an occasional enema instead. These teas can be a stressor for theintestines and with the lax properties of wm it shouldn't be needed.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 03, 2009 03:54PM

I have had a client use the Watermelon cleanse for removing kidney stones.I will share his storey,I have done this fast many times but not in the way which i will describe now. You be the judge of how to appraoach this information. He juiced the rind and all of the cleaned watermelon.On the 3rd day he sat in an extremly hot bath. His body felt the need to urinate and as he did so painfully but tolerable he said he could see what was described as smAll crystal looking structures that felt like glass in the water. Im not suggesting everyone to run out and repeaat this .He did report a complete recovery of his syptoms and no more pain.Interesting it is.

Date: June 03, 2009 11:36PM

I just finished my 3rd day of my cleanse...I feel absolutely fantastic and I am more than pleased with the results and amount of clarity i am feeling..not to mention my skin looks fantastic. I did not pass much stool on day 1 & 2..But today starting at 5:30 this morning all hell broke loose and I have throughout the day 4 or 5 large very 're-newing' bowl movements..I enjoyed it very much as my body has responded very positively to it. I did however, not drink 1 gallon of water a day like I originally planned.I just drank as I was thirsty and ate one very large watermelon a day.
Health and Happiness to all
:-)

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: June 04, 2009 12:10PM

What is the recommended length of a watermellon cleans? Is if safe to do more than three days? What is the longest any one has done one for? Just really curious!

Posted by: C. Dove ()
Date: June 04, 2009 01:29PM

Im glad you took my advice to avoid the additional water.....this could dilute the sodium levels in your body. Potentially very dangerous. WM is well over 90% water. Congrats!

Date: June 05, 2009 02:45AM

Thank you C. Dove :-) Morgenjune I did the cleans for 3 days however, I am not sure of the longest period someone has done this cleanse but, I do know someone who has done it one week. Hope that helps!

Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: June 06, 2009 12:36AM

Thanks! When i do a cleanse/fast I usually have a goal but depending on how I feel during decides the length and If I was to do a watermelon cleanse I think Id be able to go for days! Its so yummy!!! I think I might try this myself now smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables