Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How much calcium do we need?
Posted by: rufio ()
Date: December 25, 2014 10:37PM

I get 400mg/day. Most of it from leafy greens. Finding it hard to get more through food. Is this enough for raw vegan?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much calcium do we need?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: December 26, 2014 03:29AM

I don't think so, are you sure you're eating enough? smiling smiley

Date: December 27, 2014 06:09AM

rufio Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I get 400mg/day. Most of it from leafy greens.
> Finding it hard to get more through food. Is this
> enough for raw vegan?

This is an impossible question to answer because a person's individual metabolism will highly influence what one needs.

What l will say is that apparently various cultures who have done well on low calcium diets on as low as 350 mg per day and had no bone fractures (reported by John Mc Dougal and needs investigation by myself in coming months). But, as l have said, anti nutrients and nutritional synergy all influence metabolism, various people may have a higher need for calcium and others may have a much lower need.

NOW...the scarey bit. There is now research to suggest that consuming too much calcium (over 1000 mg per day) greatly increases risk of bone fractures, and when l have done more research l will post these alarming new studies. I have had to be careful l structure my diet correctly to keep my calcium down because too muich is not good.

Does calcium strengthen bones? Apparently not, because calcium is a brittle substance like chalk. It is the combination of other minerals which combine with calcium that make strong bones, BUT apparently we don't want bones solid like iron because they are more prone to fracturing...we want flexible bones.

Again, does calcium strengthen bones? Well, we can eat high calcium diets and always have poor bone health. How do l know? Because Brian Clement said that when people with poor bone health eat high calcium diets and don't do resistance exercises they are almost guaranteed to not improve their bone health, where-as when they exercise and eat a good diet the bone health will improve out of sight. So...if you eat a diet high in calcium you are just as likely as everyone else to have bone issues as you grow older.

Date: December 27, 2014 09:03AM

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Silica is also important as calcium wont be
> absorbed or utilized without it. Fresh whole raw
> greens provide more silica I think than the juice
> but Im not sure about this.

Yes, and it makes me ask whether raw vegans on high calcium diets will suffer bone fractures like the other groups that consume high calcium diets.

THeSt0rm Wrote:
> Vitamin K2 is also very important. TSM has posts
> on how to get vitamin k2 which is rare for vegans
> to get.
>
> Check out his website if you want :
> thesproutarian.com

Thanks for the post Storm. Yes, K2 is important for a whole host of things. You can get it from fermented black beans, fermented adzuki beans, fermented soy beans and fermented sunflower seeds. The K2 seems to work best for the larger seeds for various complex scientific reasons.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: December 27, 2014 01:33PM

Sproutrian man, did you share the video tutorial of fermented sunflower seeds? I recall that you posted about it but don't remember seeing the actual video

Date: December 27, 2014 02:26PM

tezcal Wrote:
> Sproutrian man, did you share the video tutorial
> of fermented sunflower seeds? I recall that you
> posted about it but don't remember seeing the
> actual video

It needs to be uploaded. I have a bunch of videos that have been done, and the better ones are the ones on the importance of brocoli/radish sprouts, nutrient synergy and fermented foods. I am far from the best speaker on video, but l am getting better with practise. I am just an unfancy-talking-version of Ann Wigmore. smiling smiley No gloss on our talks,just ordinary folks doing their thing and sharing with the world. At least the honesty and simpleness of the lifestyle comes out.

Fermented sunflower seeds is perhaps the finest ferment. Why? For many reasons, but the important things are:

- an already high food in B vitamins greatly increases and become super potent B vitamin source
- a super high vitamin E source
- vitamin K2 in good amounts
- it combines starches from grains, proteins and fats from the seed, so it becomes an enzyme rich cocktail of these highly digested macronutrients. And yes, science has shown that food enzymes are effective, that's why doctors are known to use food enzymes to help normalise functioning in cancer patients, and have had some small succcesses.
- it greatly increases bioavailability of minerals, especially zinc and iron. I recall one study showing that sprouted fermented wheat increased 1,000 in available iron and 600% in available zinc. I need to find that study

Always better to ferment sunflower seeds over nuts any day. Fermented sesame, fermented poppy,fermented sunflower and fermented pumpkin seeds walk all over nuts. Seeds are completely superior as a food, very high in nutrition and antioxidants and can be used as good diet balancers to pop upparts of the vegan diet that may be lacking suich as omega 3's, zinc, iron and calcium.

Best to have a really powerful nutrient rich ferment for best effects imo. After a while the digestion greatly improves and one will utilise food much better. The harder foods digest nicely when one builds up the inner parts of the body and restores things to proper health. Still, l don't think we want to go too hardcore and be eating raw non femented nuts or sprouted grains each night, if we eat these things as staples we should be fermenting some of those things to keep the pressure off the digestion imo. We don't want to run the digestion too hard all the time, we only want to rev the engine occasionally and keep the body adapted so we can eat different foods high in nutrition that have lower water content.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/27/2014 02:36PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Posted by: tezcal ()
Date: December 28, 2014 12:01AM

How long do you ferment sunflower and sesame seeds? Those are the two I eat the most at the moment.

Date: December 28, 2014 10:41PM

Soak in grain based rejuvalic for 1 - 2 days (only 1 day in warmer weather).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables