Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting, parasites and grain avoidance
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 02, 2015 08:51PM

Thought I'd share this article as I found it totally fascinating. It's about ancient fasting practices, parasites and 'bigu' (grain avoidance). Reminds me a bit of EGOP.

[sites.google.com]

A long read but worth it.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting, parasites and grain avoidance
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 02, 2015 09:27PM

The last picture looks tantric.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 02, 2015 09:43PM

Tai: I will draw your attention to the following quote in that article regarding Bigu:

"Arthur (2006) believes that the simple avoidance of grains was the original intention that gradually evolved to mean a complete avoidance of ordinary, or any, food. Other terms such as duangu “to cut off grains” or quegu “to eliminate grains” or xiulang “to cease cereals” and jueli “to abandon staples” would corroborate this assumption. Arthur (2006) believes that prior to the Tan dynasty (618-907) the practice was for short rituals fasts for ritual purifications “while long-term bigu practice did not avoid but merely limited food intake” while “ideally combined with other cultivation methods.”

Tai: Okay, so this author is suggesting bigu means to avoid grains, but after talking with many, many Chinese, the understood meaning of bigu is total fasting. There are legends in China of cultivators climbing into caves to meditate and using a breatharian type of practice to avoid eating. Some people think it is impossible, while others with no training or proper guidance attempt it and starve themselves to death. The legends remain in China and you can see some people still doing it, like the buddha boy did in Nepal for at least 10 months straight. Bigu in this context includes no eating and no drinking either.

Then, of course, I have met some Chinese who quit eating grains either because they grew tired of them or they followed a raw vegan diet, but they still did not use the term "bigu" for the reasons above.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: January 03, 2015 05:00PM

Yes it does doesn't it Prana!

Tai, thanks for the clarification of bigu, interesting. As the years go by on rawfoods I do find myself very gradually transitioning to a lighter, simpler, more liquid diet.

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables