Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I new and transitioning, can use pointers and help!
Posted by: Hobbes ()
Date: January 03, 2015 05:50AM

Hi!

I'm a 125lb 5'7" guy. I've been eating a vegan diet for past six years and for about half a year now the raw food diet has become more and more interesting to me. I've been trying to transition into it, so I can start eating at least 80% raw a day and possibly 100%, but I still enjoy treats and eating out.

Trying to get a routine down, I try to make a smoothie for breakfast when I can. I But when I have to rush to work, I don't have time for it. I work in a grocery store, so I can buy things here or there. I just aim to make a smoothie later. My smoothies consist of juiced carrots, celery and ginger (I throw in cabbage, kale stems, broccoli stems, etc when I have em) which I blend with bananas, spinach, and spices/maca/etc. If I can't get one in the morning, I try to squeeze one in later in the day.

My lunches have been raw vegetables tossed with Braggs and flax oil that I pile onto a soaked cashew spread (with raw vegitables, flax oil, nutritional yeast, etc for flavor) I make using a blender. This is wrapped in a wheat tortilla. I make 2-3 of them.

For snacks and in between meals, I go for nuts, dried fruit (or making a bar out of the two) and fresh fruit.

At I home I basically eat the same way. A salad here or there.

My main staple diet has always been beans and rice. I've been trying to rely on nuts more and think of ways to transition.

What I really need are simple, protein filled lunches that aren't too hard to make or cheap ones I can buy on the go and prepare in 10 minutes.

Dinner ideas are welcome too.

Any help to get me moving in the right direction is GREATLY appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I new and transitioning, can use pointers and help!
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 03, 2015 06:01AM

I recently posted this in a similar thread:

-A variety of fresh fruit (+frozen fruit for smoothies)
-Green juices (+other veggie juices such as carrot/beet/cucumber)
-Salads with greens, sprouts, red bell peppers, cucumbers, etc.
-Sprouted nuts and seeds (including nut milks)
-Coconut water

For snacks... kale chips, flavored nuts & seeds, raw cacao, dried fruit (such as goji berries and golden berries)

Maybe you could replace rice with quinoa? Flax or chia crackers with a delicious guacamole spread could make for a nice meal. You could also try making some type of bread out of sprouted buckwheat groats.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2015 06:07AM by jtprindl.

Posted by: Hobbes ()
Date: January 03, 2015 06:36AM

Hey jtprindl! Quinoa is something I've been using, but that requires cooking. Smoothies and juicing is great, but I can't have just that for the rest of my life. I guess what I'm asking for are meal ideas. I have some raw food cook books, but what is the daily eats of a raw foodist? What do you eat on a daily basis through out your work week?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 05, 2015 04:18AM

I don't think you'll find a universal answer for a raw foodist daily food, we are all fairly different (which is okkkkayy):-) try to eat more green leafy vegetables and sprouts. Make larger smoothies. I don't think high protein is healthy, maybe someone else has suggestions. Sounds like you're really thin?

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 05, 2015 05:23AM

Hobbes, if you are very active you can get away with mostly fruit (if your calorie intake is large).

If not you might do better with emphssis raw greens. They provide more minerals, vitamins, and protective phytochemicals per calorie than fruits.

I tend to eat 1 or 2 large salads based on leafy greens (mostly lettuces, which are mild), a bowl of fruit salad (based on what is seasonal/local/cheap), and a glass of green juice.

You can eat as much lettuce as you want--it is mild. But if you add crucifers or goosefoots (spinach and relatives) you can't do unlimited of these--there are reports of toxicity at high levels of intake.

If you add fats be mindful of the omega6yawning smileymega3 ratio. This should be 1:1 to 4:1 ideally, meaning added fats should be mostly walnuts, flax, or chia.

Everyone does something different so don't be afraid to experiment. But use [cronometer.com] to be sure you are meeting your requirements.

Also you will need to supplement with B12 and D (if you are not getting sunshine on your skin). I use fortified milk alternatives for these but you might prefer a supplement.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables