Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Organic Coops that are not raw friendly
Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:37PM

All the GRAPES AVOCADOS PERSIMMONS and MANGOS they have for sale are all hard rotten bad uneatable. I feel like my vacation in Iceland. I live under Mount Rainier, still it is part of the USA. The fruit is all bad. They have a 99 cents a lb eat me tonight box, but that is beyond rotten. All their produce should be in there. Who refrigerates avocados? Who leaves out thai coconuts room temperature.
( I asked or months) I have commented to them all on this.

For months I asked them to stop saying that Oregon Almonds are raw. All USA almonds are pasteurized. So they gave in to my request, and for months we had truly raw almonds from Italy. always sold out mostly by me...BUT now back to the old cooked lying almonds, lying, saying they are raw.

Also the truly raw cashews they used to carry, labeled " Hand shelled" they stopped carrying them for cheaper regular cashews organic that they label raw...but its not. Only hand shelled cashews are raw..

What is going on, are we being lied to?

There are no prepared vegan raw meals like all the other coops in the world..everything is cooked. They carry cooked hummus, by the same company that makes RAWMMUS, but they do not carry it at the store. I have to drive hours to get that..

Everyone loves me at the coop , they know all my family. Relationship good. But they think they know everything when I ask questions.

I make my own raw vegan meals, but I am out a lot and I have to get things when I eat out, like bring my own food, and none I know is raw... etc..

All the raw nori has been out for 5 months and when I asked the lady asked me = if I was sure the toasted ones were not raw, with a smirk.

I wrote them notes about this, I am probably the reason why they have gotten bigger. I have spent average $350 a week there. I am a member too. I am a big spender and so are my family. My requests are valid.

Every section has nothing raw. Braggs is no longer raw anymore. To get raw nama shoyu I have to go out of my way. Out of town. I told them this a year ago.

So I am pissed.
FED UP!

Even the farmers markets here are all about the local butcher too. When something like kombucha comes along they are all on it, but why not the raw vegan movement, your biggest spenders..

Apples oranges and tomatoes and greens they got it good, so that is what I been eating for years. To be fair they carry some little frozen raw chocolate treats.

I do travel to big cities to go grocery shopping..I have to. At the Coop in Oly , everything is labeled correctly. I can get access to raw vegan meals too. Plus raw vegan cooking or uncooking classes...plus the usual raw vegan condiments.. NOT AT MY COOP LOCALLY.

EVERYONE IS DYING FROM CANCER IN THIS TOWN it seems, they should be ashamed.

Anyone feel me?

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 08:51PM by coconutcream.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Organic Coops that are not raw friendly
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:45PM

I think that if you are spending that kind of money there, they ought to be bending over backwards for you.

Are the farmer's markets any better? Can you get local cherries, pears, apples, and hazelnuts?

Maybe it's time to move. You would find an organization more accommodating in a bigger city.

I have been watching John Kohler's videos lately and really hankering for a place that is sunny enough so that I can grow my own food. I picked this place for the shade (lower utility bills) but it's so shady that nothing edible will grow.

Today I spent a half hour in the backyard hunting for dandelions and I couldn't find any.

I learned (from John) that my Monstera produces edible fruit but that only happens once a year. I have a baby loquat that has not yet produced fruit. I have tons of elephant ears but their roots are toxic unless you cook them. I wish I could eat more that is in my yard.

Date: January 04, 2015 08:53PM

Arugula if you want to send me some tropical fruit in a flat rate box I will send you paypal.

I hear you. I see you. I feel you! Thanks, I feel you are correct. So let's gang up on our coops!

The mangoes are rock hard and when you cut them open they have brown streaks.

I knw I know, why don't I have special orders..I am too lazy and I think I tried once and the process was really hard.

For an organic coop to be selling almonds and cashews and to label them RAW when they are not, its an ABOMINATION!!!!!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 08:57PM by coconutcream.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 04, 2015 08:56PM

I never buy nuts or seeds from the bulk section at my local organic co-op. I just have a feeling that bulk section food is dirty and low-quality, despite being organic. One thing I will say though is that fruit is extremely overpriced. A 16 oz. package of "fresh" strawberries is $9.99. That's 10 bucks for 100-200 calories of a common fruit.

Date: January 04, 2015 09:01PM

Well I read an article jtprindl, about how to eat cheaply organic and the articles said go to your bulk section for everything, it is kind of true. I can get giant ziplock bags of raisins for 1 dollar organic.

But I hear you

I know they keep prices down by the bag thing..did you ever see this skit about a man who didn't bring his own bag to the organic coop and they made a big deal...? I hate that part too. I will pay for someone to help me with packing my groceries. I usually have three kids with me. I have to find boxes. I don't prepare my day as I am going coop shopping. I go when I can. And I do not carry around boxes and bags.

HERE IS THE LINK MUST WATCH SKIT ON HOW TO MAKE ORGANIC COOP CLERKS CRY

They say rodents love bulk sections of stores after closing time. Why do you think every coop has cats?

Look I know I have to be supportive. I know. But I am pissed and am I allowed to vent !!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2015 09:05PM by coconutcream.

Date: January 05, 2015 05:39AM

Mado, if it were only nuts and seeds, I would do it.

But sweet juicy fruit has a high water content which makes it very heavy and expensive to ship.

I am pretty sure that my suppliers are subject to the same or similar constraints as your suppliers.

The cost of shipping heavy fruits would not make it worth the time and trouble.

I think this lends some support to the idea that fruitarianism is more practical and doable if you live at or near the tropics.

I never thought seriously about moving nearer to the tropics. UV radiation is a lot stronger there. I try to protect my skin. I am the crazy hat lady who wrote a book about sun protection. I always wear my hat.

But maybe my tropical fruits are cheaper than yours because they do not have to be transported by ridiculous distances.

At any rate I am thinking that there is something to be said for eating locally.

It is citrus season where I live so that is where I will be getting most of my calories. Also, where I live, collards are really cheap.

These things are not always what I crave but there are aspects of my diet that are more important than taste. I wish to tread lightly, to mind my health, and those ideas do not always align with my taste buds.

Date: January 07, 2015 05:51AM

I want to go to ANY SUPERMARKET AND BE ABLE TO GET RAW + ORGANIC FRESH JUICES LIKE THIS!!!

Date: January 11, 2015 10:29AM

I will post a photo of my fruit stash. Its all apples pears oranges bananas dates boring stuff. I miss the Tropics

But ARUGULA, that makes me feel better now that you stated this..TRUE!!

I never thought seriously about moving nearer to the tropics. UV radiation is a lot stronger there.

Date: January 11, 2015 01:14PM

One of my next-door neighbors were a very proper older woman in her 80s. She had so many wrinkles that her neck sagged down to her chest. It was scary the first time I saw her. I rarely see it that bad. She was from Boston, but after she married, she spent 30 years of her life in Panama. Panama is 9 degrees north of the equator and the sun is really intense there, far too strong for a Celtic-type with blue eyes like her.

Many parts of Australia are also too strong in solar insolation for many of the milky white people who live there. They look old way before their time. I don't want that to happen to me. They boys tend not to care so much but the girls often do, once they get older.

Back to food, though. A new grocer opened in my town this week. They had blackberries for $1/pint, apples for $.49/lb, lettuce for $.49/head. They had also orange beets, heirloom carrots, rainbow chard, and some other really expensive and rare treats. I guess this is one way to do raw--the affordable way. I only got the cheap stuff and build my menus around that, except for walnuts which I always need.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables