Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

diabetes and diet
Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: July 28, 2006 05:05AM

Came across this article in the Canadian news. If a low fat vegan diet is this powerful, just imagine how good a raw vegan diet is. (Yes, I do know that there is information out there about raw vegan and diabetes, but I haven't seen much about it in anything mainstream like this!)

[www.cbc.ca]

I wonder how many people who are newly diagnosed with diabetes are told about this!!

It would sure be great to see more articles like this - people need to know! (I read somewhere once that doctors don't like to tell stuff like this to their patients because it is too radical for them to accept - yet it isn't radical for a person to go blind and/or have to have limbs amputated ??? Or to take medications for their entire life - interesting...) Excuse the sarcasm, I just can't seem to help myself.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: diabetes and diet
Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: July 28, 2006 06:24AM

Yes, it would be good to see scientists making such experiments involving the raw diet. (Actually, I know one scientist who does research on cancer, and was thinking of making a raw suggestion to her.)

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: brome ()
Date: July 29, 2006 08:06PM

Mulberry leaves have been shown to be effective in treating diabetes:

[www.lef.org]

Evidently, mulberry leaves contain substances that reverse this defect. In a study conducted in India, patients with type II diabetes were randomly assigned to one of two groups.48 One group took glibenclamide, a drug that stimulates pancreatic insulin secretion and is prescribed to certain type II diabetics. Patients in the second group received three grams of mulberry leaf powder taken with each of three daily meals. Treatment continued for 30 days.

Before treatment began, researchers measured a variety of parameters that collectively provide a detailed picture of a patient’s lipid status and glucose-handling abilities. These parameters were measured again at the end of the 30-day trial. The leaves are also used as an antidote to henbane poisoning.

Patients taking mulberry leaf had significantly lower fasting glucose, while the decrease in the glibenclamide group was statistically insignificant.

While glibenclamide subjects enjoyed some minimal improvements in their blood lipid profile, the changes were not statistically significant, except for triglycerides, which fell by 10%. Mulberry patients, on the other hand, experienced striking improvements across all lipid parameters, including a remarkable 18% increase in highly desirable HDL. The biggest change was a dramatic drop in harmful LDL. While glibenclamide patients saw no significant change in their levels of this artery-clogging lipid, mulberry patients saw their LDL decline by 23%.

[www.hsshanzhi.com]

I have eaten alot of the very young mulberry leaves and they taste very good. Plus the trees are all over California (the fruitless Mulberry planted everywhere.) An internet search reveals that they are commonly eaten in Asia.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:19PM

I am not super knowledgable about diabetes - don't know anyone who has it, but my sister-in-law, who has been somewhat overweight for years was recently told that she is "pre-diabetic". She also told me that this is quite normal for someone in her 50's who has been overweight for a long period of time and that they are going to monitor this to see if anything changes.

I am shocked by the attitude - if someone told me I was "pre-diabetic", I think I would be changing everything about my life to make sure that it didn't cross that line to a serious illness. I can't believe the doctor and my sister in law both are so totally calm and accepting - this is amazing! Is this really considered to be a normal part of the ageing process these days?

Unbelievable!

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: July 29, 2006 11:37PM

It's like everybody fell asleep and only a few of us woke up! People just don't want to take responsibility for their health. They want the doctors to do it. And, the sad thing is that I think that the denial goes so deep that many, many people really truly do not get it - that our food choices impact our health to the degree that they do. They shut it out. That's denial.

My family makes me crazy! My mother has diabetes, my husband has it, my sister will have it soon is she doesn't make some changes. My husband has high blood pressure, high cholesteral too. So do my mother and sister. And they make fun of me!!!!!! Go figure.

I just keep on doing what I'm doing, but every now and then I remind them that I will be taking care of their sorry asses someday!!!!

I've mentioned this before - now and then when I see my husband eating a particularly unhealthy meal (he cooks his own food - he has ever since I went vegan) I just gently suggest that he might want to take his plate outside and eat in the car. That way I can just drive him on over to the emergency room and save the cost of an anbulance!!!!

It's not REALLY funny - I love the guy so much and my life will be so diminished without him around to make me laugh out loud the first thing in the morning when I'm trying to be crabby! But, I can't make him see things my way and I'm tired of hearing myself talk.

I'm glad to see that the word on diabetes is getting out there to the mainstream media. Most people still think that they need to cut down on candy and go along happily eating their 16 oz. steak or equivelant every night.

Anyhoo, thanks for posting that - I'm gonna show it to him even if he ignores it .

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: July 30, 2006 08:13PM

That was a good article I read it on CNN the other day it is good the news is getting out there.
Same article but on CNN
[www.cnn.com]
Cherimoya

Love Peace and Happiness

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables