Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Struggling
Posted by: bluespixie ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:05PM

Hi guys,

I'm having another go at introducing raw to my diet again (just done a 10 day master cleanse). I've kicked the caffeine (which I'm very proud of grinning smiley), but am struggling getting a taste for fresh fruit. This means I'm spending a lot of $$$ on semi-processed raw food products like date/nut based sweets and nut mylks. I'm reasonably happy with salads, but can't exist on those as I do a fair bit of exercise.

Maybe it's the cold weather? Not sure what to do...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Struggling
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:22PM

bluespixie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm having another go at introducing raw to my
> diet again (just done a 10 day master cleanse).
> I've kicked the caffeine (which I'm very proud of
> grinning smiley), but am struggling getting a taste for fresh
> fruit. This means I'm spending a lot of $$$ on
> semi-processed raw food products like date/nut
> based sweets and nut mylks. I'm reasonably happy
> with salads, but can't exist on those as I do a
> fair bit of exercise.
>
> Maybe it's the cold weather? Not sure what to
> do...

Are you sure you're picking out high-quality, ripe fruit? Have you tried a variety of different fruits to see which one's cater more to your tastes? Lots to choose from... strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, papaya, pomegranate, grapefruit, watermelon, mango, blood oranges, red bell peppers, etc. You could try making smoothies and adding natural sweeteners to make it taste better (raw honey, coconut sugar, stevia, etc.).

Posted by: Kiwibird ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:30PM

What exactly is it about fresh fruit you don't like? The sweetness, the texture, the chewing?

I find smoothies are one of the best ways to get variety and easier to get down than eating endless amounts of whole fruits. I use (naturally) bananas as the base because they make everything so creamy and easy to drink and then add other fruits. I toss (not strong tasting) greens in my smoothies sometimes too just to get more greens instead of salads all the time. Certain fruits I juice since I don't care for the pulpy consistency. I do raw applesauce too that I add other small amounts of other fruits to. Fermented oat groats (not quick oats, working on sprouting them now that I know they need to be) make a yogurt-like snack you can add fruit too, just like yogurt. Freeze bananas then run through the food processor and stick back in the freezer, it becomes like soft-serve ice cream and you can add various fruits to it. I've also recently got a dehydrator and have been experimenting quite a bit with that. Apple chips, banana chips, fruit rolls... I'm thinking of doing some "baked goods" type fruit things in it too, but unfortunately it's not the ideal design for thatsad smiley (saving up for a better one). You can also do salsas and dips with fruit. And don't forget fruit salad! Hope theres some ideas in here for yousmiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2015 11:31PM by Kiwibird.

Posted by: Living Food ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:33PM

If fruit isn't working for you, I highly recommend adding sprouted seeds to your diet; you can also try legume and grain sprouts. Not everyone does well on high-fruit diets.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: January 14, 2015 01:40AM

bluespixie, this time of year bananas are your best bet for getting a high calorie fruit that is relatively cheap. Make sure your bananas are ripe, that is, they have freckles on the skin. The other abundant fruit during the winter is citrus, i,e. navel oranges and tangerines.

I use frozen fruit during the winter to flavor my smoothies, like frozen blueberries and strawberries. When I make a strawberry banana smoothie, I only use 1 strawberry per banana.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2015 03:01AM by Prana.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 14, 2015 03:44AM

I like to eat citrus in the winter as well smiling smiley

Date: January 23, 2015 10:37PM

Hi all, thank you for the suggestions smiling smiley I'm finding smoothies 'okay', not really craving them though tbh, fruit either. At the moment I'm mixing big fresh salads with plain rice noodles, and although not raw, I find that quite tasty.

I tried making a raw pizza recently and the marinara sauces I used to love now taste gross to me! I made courgetti and that made me gag. It's like my taste buds have done a 180 since I was last raw. I think eating simpler is more bearable. I'm hoping when the weather gets nicer I'll lean back towards the fruit. It's just so cold at the moment!

Edit- sorry to answer your question, I'm just not finding the sweetness very appetising/desirable, maybe its all the lemon/maple syrup of the master cleanse.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2015 10:49PM by bluespixie.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 27, 2015 01:20PM

if u don't like it
don't eat it

Date: January 28, 2015 08:52PM

la_veronique Wrote:
> if u don't like it
> don't eat it

I agree smiling smiley Unfortunately, it does mean leaning away from raw and more into cooked (i.e. steamed) veggies and potatoes.

It's become very cold the last few weeks. This lunchtime I got a fruit smoothie and a salad (which was semi cooked i.e. hummus, steamed broccoli), and my body was crying out for something warmer like a hot soup. Maybe I just need to give myself time to adapt?

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 28, 2015 11:07PM

bluespixie Wrote:
> la_veronique Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > if u don't like it
> > don't eat it
>
>
> I agree smiling smiley Unfortunately, it does mean leaning
> away from raw and more into cooked (i.e. steamed)
> veggies and potatoes.
>
> It's become very cold the last few weeks. This
> lunchtime I got a fruit smoothie and a salad
> (which was semi cooked i.e. hummus, steamed
> broccoli), and my body was crying out for
> something warmer like a hot soup. Maybe I just
> need to give myself time to adapt?

If you have to be outside in the cold for long periods of time you can keep warm with teas and tonics while you're out there - no need for hot food.

If you have central heating to stay warm inside your house go raw savory style. Adding garlic and hot peppers, etc., to your thick raw creamy soups is all you have to do to adapt to winter weather while staying raw. It's easy.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 29, 2015 12:17AM

also bluepixie

maybe u could get a dehydrator thing
and put the temperature really low so enzymes are intact
and warm up some of your foods

i've yet to do it so i can't give u the best advice
but maybe others have and they can chime in

where is coco ?
she could have given a good tip or two about this because i remember her mentioning something like that once

no need to eat fruit
if dislike it

i think that is kind of folly

the body is intelligent
and it will ask for what it wants and needs

maybe another time
your body will ask for fruit
but til then

why force it?
it will just make you feel sad to eat foods you really don't like

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: January 29, 2015 07:50AM

Blues pixie hang in there, we are all in this together, soon it will be spring and you will look in the mirror and you will be living totally differently..

see the documentary MAY I BE FRANK 2010. It will inspire you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables