Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

where to buy dried coconut?
Posted by: rawigor ()
Date: February 06, 2015 08:41AM

Dear friends, I have been trying to be on strictly raw diet for 6 months already and it is rather hard because, as I recently discovered, what is labeled raw in the store might not be trully raw. This had happened with almonds, cashews, and dried coconut.

Please advise me where should I buy trully raw dried coconut. I could find it in multiple online stores, but I have no idea what would be the resonable price for this product. I used to buy 1lb for $3 from local store, but now I must spend 3-4 times more (if shiping is calculated). So how do you go around it? Obviously this question is not for millionaries.

Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: where to buy dried coconut?
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: February 06, 2015 08:57AM

DIY

Maybe an easier approach will be to make your own.
You will ample supply and will know it is dried.
You can buy an omega 8006 juicer, used one for about 100 dollars
And raw coconuts are available in stores

[www.youtube.com]

You will need a dehydrator too but
It is a cheaper approach in the long run

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2015 08:59AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: February 07, 2015 07:07AM

This is very impressive how you did the coconut flakes. My next question is: where did you get such a meaty coconuts? A number of times I got them from Sprouts store and I could barely get 1/2 cup of meat. I thought about dehydrating the coconut myself (I do have a dehydrator), but I would spend even more money if I only get 1/2 cup of meat per coconut. In dehydrated form this could be less than 1/4 cup.

Thank you!

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 08, 2015 03:13AM

Does it have to be dried? I think it would be better to get a whole coconut and shred the meat as needed. Tastier, too!

I am totally with you on the $$$$ thing. I hate how much stuff costs and especially how much the marketed/packaged raw stuff costs. I never buy that stuff. Only f+v, nuts/seeds, except for olive oil (which I really intend to reduce or eliminate).

Date: February 11, 2015 08:03AM

I can share my personal discovery. Certanly, dried coconut is not prefered, but it just seemed to be significanly less costly. This is what I thought untill I visited the local Asian market. It turned out that they have in a refrigerated section raw shreded coconut and it is very unexpensive! Regular whole fruit coconut is also much chipper than in regular store. I am sorry now for everybody who doesn't know about it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables