Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

southeast asia cvd where they eat a lot of coconut
Posted by: arugula ()
Date: February 15, 2015 11:40AM

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Background:

Hypertension is one of the most important determinants of death due to vascular damage and is fast emerging as a high burden disease in India. However, its documentation is poor in the country. This study aims to estimate the rate and the causal pattern of mortality in a cohort of people with high blood pressure as compared to normotensives.

Methods:

The study setting is Varkkala, a rural village in southern Kerala, India, and the study design was that of a prospective cohort. A total of 77,881 participants of age 20 years and above were considered for analysis. The rate and risk of all cause mortality (death due to any cause) among hypertensives were quantified and compared against the normotensives. The causes of death were also analyzedin both the groups. Cox proportional hazard models were created to estimate the hazard ratios of death among hypertensives adjusted for sociodemographic factors, behaviors, and comorbidities.

Results:

The incidence proportion of deaths in the study was 4.28% during the follow-up period of 6 years. The relative risk of mortality was 3.13 (CI: 2.91-3.37) in the high BP group. The age-adjusted hazard ratio of all cause mortality for the high BP group was 2.96 (2.56-3.42). Coronary artery disease was the major cause of death among the subjects with high BP.

Conclusions:

The study revealed high prevalence of hypertension in the study population. A person with hypertension is at three times higher risk of death due to any cause compared to a normotensive individual even after adjustment for age.

Also please note here that deaths by coronary heart disease are HIGHER compared to the USA in countries where coconut is a staple and not lower.

[www.worldlifeexpectancy.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: southeast asia cvd where they eat a lot of coconut
Date: February 15, 2015 12:05PM

Differences in all-cause, cardiovascular and cancer mortality between Hong Kong and Singapore: role of nutrition.

Zhang J, Kesteloot H.

Department of Epidemiology, School of Public Health, Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium.

BACKGROUND: The majority of inhabitants in Hong Kong and Singapore are ethnic Chinese, but all-cause and cardiovascular mortality rates in these two regions are markedly different. This study describes differences in the magnitude and trends in mortality and attempts to explain these differences.
METHODS: Data of mortality rates in 1963-1965 and 1993-1995 in the age class of 45-74 years, dietary habits and other factors were compared between Hong Kong and Singapore using Japan, Spain and the USA as reference countries. Mortality and food consumption data were obtained from WHO and FAO, respectively. RESULTS: Large differences in all-cause and cardiovascular mortality exist between Hong Kong and Singapore. The difference in total cancer mortality was less consistent and smaller. The most pronounced finding was that ischemic heart disease mortality in 1993-1995 was 2.98 and 3.14 times higher in Singapore than in Hong Kong in men and women, respectively. Of the five countries considered, Singapore has the highest all-cause mortality in both sexes in the period of 1960-1995. The ratio of animal to vegetal fat was higher in Singapore (2.24) than in Hong Kong (1.08). Singapore had higher serum concentrations of total cholesterol and low-density lipoprotein cholesterol than
Hong Kong, but the opposite result was observed for high-density lipoprotein cholesterol.

CONCLUSIONS: There are striking differences in all-cause and cardiovascular mortality between Hong Kong and Singapore. These differences can be most reasonably and plausibly explained by their differences in dietary habits, for example, a higher consumption of coconut and palm oil, mainly containing saturated fat, in Singapore.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 15, 2015 12:39PM

My BP, on a very high RAW fat diet is 110/70 just as it has always been.

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: February 15, 2015 02:54PM

the entire makeup of the diet is important in determining health.
so hard to draw conclusions from those studies.

do you know your average calorie intake, suez?

Date: February 15, 2015 02:57PM

I think the dietary fiber intake is also highly relevant. On a high-fat, high coconut oil diet with lots of juice, fiber intake can't be very high.

Blame it on the "carbs" though.

Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: February 15, 2015 03:02PM

This study fails in so many ways by it's lack of distinctions of crucial factors that it is meaningless in the raw vegan, and most other, communities. Even cooked food vegans should understand that much.

Date: February 15, 2015 03:04PM

Sue, did you read the study? Could you be more specific about your criticisms with references to the actual content rather than the abstract?

They consume a lot of coconut in Kerala.

If coconut were the health food that so many people think it is, would you not expect some protective effect?

Or are you consuming large quantities of it because you prefer the taste, and because marketing mishmash labels it as "raw?"

Do you feel it does more for your health than a head of romaine lettuce might?

I am very curious as to people's motives for making these kinds of choices.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 03:10PM by arugula.

Date: February 15, 2015 03:11PM

>This study fails in so many ways by it's lack of distinctions of crucial factors that it is meaningless in the raw vegan, and most other, communities. Even cooked food vegans should understand that much.

i have to agree. if i am going to criticize the value of studies, i need to be just as critical of studies such as those that are supportive of my paradigm. it's just hard to draw conclusions from such generalized dietary patterns. although the comment regarding some protective effect does have some merit since that is a major claim of the medicinal types.

----------
"ways by it's lack"
"ways by its lack"
-----------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 03:14PM by fresh.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: February 15, 2015 05:26PM

"On a high-fat, high coconut oil diet with lots of juice, fiber intake can't be very high."

Yes it can, but what do YOU define as "high-fat"? I already showed you a study in another thread which showed that those eating 35% of their diet from nuts had a lower risk of heart disease and another one with similar intakes on nuts and similar results.

100 grams of flax seeds provides 27.3 grams of fiber (72% RDA)
100 grams of chia seeds provides 34.4 grams of fiber (91% RDA)
100 grams of hemp seeds provides 27.6 grams of fiber (73% RDA)

That's from ~500 calories of each and doesn't include any fruits or vegetables which can obviously still be eaten on "high-fat" diets.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2015 05:28PM by jtprindl.

Date: February 15, 2015 05:28PM

>I am very curious as to people's motives for making these kinds of choices.

conductivity

Date: February 15, 2015 05:34PM

fresh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> >I am very curious as to people's motives for
> making these kinds of choices.
>
> conductivity

I asked once for somebody to explain this to me and I never
got a good answer. But I find it vexing and painful that
people will choose to follow a little boy who has no
credentials just because he is promoting something that
they find palatable.

I'd rather that people watch Dr. Greger's videos. I may
not always agree with 100% of the things he concludes but
at least he always provides his (legitimate) sources and
is absolutely anal about fact checking.

Date: February 15, 2015 05:39PM

I don't believe there are any universal classifications but I consider these categories

ultra low fat: < 10%
low fat: < 15%
moderate: 20-25%
high: 40% or higher
very high: 60% or higher.

In many of the so-called "low-fat" studies people are advised to aim for 20% but there is usually a fudge factor of 33% or more so that they are actually hitting 30-35% instead of 20%. Generally with the very low fat studies, compliance is only assured if there is very strong motivation (like wanting to avoid an early death) or the people are locked up in a metabolic ward.

Yes, nuts, seeds, and fatty fruit are always a better deal than a refined plant oil like coconut or olive. There is less metabolizable energy in them because some of the nutrients are bound up in the fibrous matrix. Of course if you blend them you will be getting more calories and fat from them.

Also, vegetables are usually the best sources of fiber. If you are achieving a high fiber diet only through your fat sources, that means you aren't eating enough vegetables. And to a lesser extent, fruit.

Date: February 15, 2015 05:52PM

"If you are achieving a high fiber diet only through your fat sources, that means you aren't eating enough vegetables."

I just showed that ~500 calories of three omega-3 rich seeds alone provided 70%+ RDA for fiber. Even on a low-calorie diet, this would still leave room for at least another 1000 calories. Two cups of blueberries and two cups of strawberries, which isn't a lot of fruit or calories, brings that fiber intake up to almost 100% RDA already. Personally, I eat more fruit than this daily, this is just an example that one could achieve high-fiber intake on a high-fat diet, very easily actually. That doesn't include the fiber I would get from algae's. Now I can't even say for certain the actual amount of fat I consume on a consistent basis, I don't log everything I eat, but I'm certainly not afraid of omega-3 rich fatty foods or consuming 4-5 TBS of extra-virgin coconut oil per week.

Date: February 15, 2015 05:56PM

there is no such thing as extra virgin olive oil

[www.coconutoilcompany.com]

Date: February 15, 2015 05:56PM

RDA for fiber is far too low. Max. benefits occur at 150 g/day. If you are getting only 1/5 of that you should increase significantly.

Read Jenkin's very high fiber diet papers. Here is one. It changed my life.
[www.researchgate.net]

4/5 tbsp of coconut oil per week is manageable. You made it sound like you used that much per day. But I would still prefer that you eat actual coconut meat instead of the oil. It is cheaper, tastier, and better for you.

Date: February 15, 2015 05:59PM

do people ingest the oil instead of the coconut for convenience?

Date: February 15, 2015 06:00PM

the real garden of eden diet:

[www.researchgate.net]

Date: February 15, 2015 06:05PM

Fresh, I am not sure why raw fooders would use coconut oil. They can use coconut meat for just about any purpose. Maybe they are adding "raw" cocoa and "raw" maca and "raw" agave to make "healthy" "raw" chocolate pudding.

Cooked fooders could use it for frying or baking because it has a high smoke point. Or making popcorn.

Date: February 15, 2015 06:10PM

"You made it sound like you used that much per day."

No, that would be ridiculous lol - though I still wouldn't be convinced that it would necessarily be unhealthy if one's overall dietary approach included many other healthy foods and maintained a healthy O3:O6 ratio.

"4/5 tbsp of coconut oil per week is manageable. You made it sound like you used that much per day. But I would still prefer that you eat actual coconut meat instead of the oil. It is cheaper, tastier, and better for you."

I only use it with omega-3 rich seed meals.

Date: February 15, 2015 06:13PM

arugula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> RDA for fiber is far too low. Max. benefits occur
> at 150 g/day. If you are getting only 1/5 of that
> you should increase significantly.
>

i think i get 50 to 150/day

the study says 55g/1000kcal so seems about right.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables