Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

If the stores closed, what ?
Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 28, 2006 10:30PM

I was just wondering what with all the trouble in the world, and the US and other countries still being so dependent on oil supplies for transporting food, are people thinking about what they would do if for any reason the food supplies were interrupted? Hurricane Katrina did that in New Orleans, so we know it's possible. Do people on the forum have a plan of action? Does anyone store food at home, like seeds, dried fruit, or dried veggies?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/2006 10:34PM by Ally.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: If the stores closed, what ?
Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 28, 2006 11:27PM

I have some food growing in the garden, and every day I go out and pick wild greens so I know what is around locally. Not much, but it's at least something.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 29, 2006 02:15AM

I live in the middle of the largest citrus producing region in the state of Florida. Fruit trees are all over here. If society collapsed tomorrow....I would eat like a king! smiling smiley

-David Mason

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: July 29, 2006 04:50PM

you raise a very good point there Ally.
I guess it's a good idea to have a stock of seeds in, at least. Like Kulvinskas says, there may come a time when seeds are more valuable than gold.

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: July 29, 2006 05:12PM

I think about this often and would like to do something about it. We should be prepared for food shortages with the way the world is right now. You could store bulk nuts in your freezer - otherwise they'd go rancid after awhile right? I think those with gardens would be the luckiest but some of us don't have that option.

Great Thread topic!

David, what part of FL do you live in? I'm in Miami now...I don't have fruit trees but I'd have tons coconuts!

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 29, 2006 06:34PM

Jen:

I'm from Miami / Ft. Lauderdale originally - but now am building a small farm in Avon Park / Sebring.

-David Mason

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: July 30, 2006 04:30PM

Wow! Your building a farm! That sounds like a dream come true. Next time your in Miami or Ft.Laudy I'd love to meet up.

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 30, 2006 06:09PM

At least raw food is also what everyone else eats (cooked) so the demand would be there to ship/grow food. (It's not like we have to eat just durian) I also have been thinking of putting in a store of food, like buying big sacks of almonds and rasins from a wholesaler.

I bought some non-electric food prep things like a mandoline from a thrift store but I think what I really need is a meat grinder (I hate the term) to break up nuts, I think Ann Wigmore ran rasins and dates through a meat grinder to make nut balls.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 01, 2006 12:08AM

By the time the stores close I will probably be living in California's Fertile Central valley which grows more food than the whole country of Mexico. smiling smiley

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 01, 2006 12:31AM

My family is planting fruit trees and other edible plants in our large backyard. So far, we have 10 fruit tress (planning another 15), plus grapes, raspberry, gooseberry etc. So, we are creating our feeding base here.

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: August 01, 2006 12:46AM

Plenty of edible greens where I am and if push comes to shov there are plenty of coconuts and wild fruits all over the place not as sweet as store bought but if you ate enough you can get full.
Cocoplums are everywhere in the summer and in spring palm fruits in the winter plenty the citrus.
Just plant some fruit trees for the future and hope for the best.

Cherimoya
Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: sodoffsocks ()
Date: August 01, 2006 03:36AM

I live by the sea and like seaweed. I'll just paddle off in a kayak and eat seaweed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/01/2006 03:37AM by sodoffsocks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables