Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Problems Digesting Bananas?
Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:07AM

K this may sound absurd, but I'm starting to wonder...

I've searched the internet plenty and I always find the exact opposite answer I'm looking for, but I'm wondering if it's possible to actually have trouble digesting bananas? I'm not sure if it's the bananas that cause it, because sometimes I eat them and I can be okay. But there's been plenty of times where I'll eat them on an empty, hungry stomach and halfway through my stomach starts gurgling loudly, which it will continue the entire time it's digesting. I have crohn's, so I'm used to the loud gurgling when I eat something that doesn't digest well. I don't know what it is about bananas though or if it's strictly coincidence and is caused by something else I'm eating.

Yesterday I had some avocado in my banana-spinach smoothie, so I just assumed it was improper food combining. So today I made a banana-spinach smoothie (no avo) which I had a glass for breakfast and then brought the rest to work for when I got hungry again.

My eating schedule: 5:30-6: smoothie. 6:45-7: 1/2 avo. 10:30-11 cup of grapes. 12-1 smoothie. 2-4 carrot-celery-apple juice

The gurgling started about fifteen minutes after the grapes, continued on through the afternoon.

Is it the high-sugar fruits? I don't know if I should ditch the bananas or what, but they are such a good way to get more calories, and they are one of my favorite fruits. I think starting tomorrow, no more avocados. I've been addicted to them but I'm going to cancel them out, and I think tomorrow will be strictly (or at least mainly) juice just to get rid of this gurgling and slightly-bloated gut.

Sory for the rambling, I always tend to over explain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Problems Digesting Bananas?
Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:17AM

its cool.ram-bull-ings cool here.we all need to get it out.

what ive heard about bananas, is they can create too much potassium in a body.there good for diahrea, so i imagine there not the most laxative food.your body could have crud in it, wanting fiberous foods and gurguling cuz you need to dump.

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:24AM

It is possible to have difficulty digesting bananas. It used to be worse when I had a slight ulcer. I don't seem to have as much difficult anymore, although, sometimes I still burp after eating one.

You might want to eat fruit/veggies that are more alkaline. You can find food charts on this. I never mix sweet fruit and greens. You should keep sweet fruits together, although you should eat melons (one kind at one sitting) by themselves. I know that there are big proponents of "Green juices" wherein one mixes greens with sweet fruit but I cannot do it. This is bad food mixing. Keep your greens together, although you can have nuts/seeds and non-sweet fruit with them, e.g. you can use lemon juice which isn't sweet with greens. The avocado is a non-sweet fruit. I typically don't mix sweet fruit and non-sweet fruit even though they are still fruit.

It typically takes about 2-4 hours for fruit to digest and they require different acids in the digestive system than the veggies, etc. The greens take longer to digest. If you are mixing veggies/greens with the sweet fruit this is interfering with your digestive system.

See you if you can mono-eat at a meal. Not sure about eating as frequently or as early as you do. I don't eat until later in the morning, around 9A.

See what works for you and if you find that you are having digestive problems, use that as an indicator to modify your eating. Hope that helps.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:43AM

Are you sure your bananas are ripe? In this picture:

Banana #7 is the only ripe one, the rest are unripe and will be a challenge to digest.

As for your eating schedule, try eating the avocado as the last thing you eat. With an avocado in your stomach, this may hinder your body's ability to digest sweet fruit well.

I eat banana-strawberry smoothies that digest well. I just use 1 strawberry per banana.

You might also try just making a banana smoothie without anything added, and see how that digests.

Here are some more ripe bananas:

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: June 17, 2009 01:58AM

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Bryan- I do only eat my bananas ripe, spotting brown with the occasional bruises. I will try the blended banana smoothie (after my insides get a rest) but I have eaten bananas alone on an empty stomach and seemed to still have problems.

Life101- you are probably right about the sweet-fruit and greens. I completely spaced and was thinking greens could be blended with any fruit. A banana in my green smoothie is probably not the best, although the taste works best for me. How unfortunate.. isn't a banana pretty common in green smoothies as it's excellent with cutting out the green flavor? I guess I will have to find other ways.

lawofattraction- I've also thought that that could be a problem. I actually was trying to eat more bananas to slow my digestion down (crohns bathroom runs and full time receptionist job doesn't mix well) but it's very possible I'm just eating too much and other things are trying to just get through. It's a tough spot to be in, I don't have time to keep running back and forth to use the restroom, but at the same time I'd like to be comfortable, not bloated and emptying when I need to. Gr, so frustrating.

--

I have been trying to mono-meal more, it's just something I fail at everyday. I try not to obsess too much over food combining as the meal planning alone is a lot to have on your mind, but when you think of combinations and separating certain foods, it just seems like a lot when you're beginning. I'm AM still trying to work on the mono-mealing though. I'm going through a time when a lot of things aren't sounding so appetizing so sometimes it's not all that exciting to mono-meal one fruit.

I'd love to do a juice fast but I'm still trying to figure out how I do that when I'm away from my house for 10 hours a day M-F. I'm going to attempt it tomorrow though.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 17, 2009 02:58AM

I prefer my bananas to look like #6 with the green gone from the ends. smiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2009 12:45PM

petrichor,

Actually, it is typical to blend greens with sweet fruit. This because greens are considered "neutral," and can be digested fairly well with anything. At least that's the prevailing belief. It may not be the case for you, and evidently, life 101. Or for me occasionally, if I'm having an off day. Or others who aren't posting here. See, you have to play it by ear. I think if I were consistently getting stomach upset--not mere gurgling, but cramps, bloating, and difficult elimination--after bananas, I'd lay off the bananas!

I second the advice of everyone who suggests monoeating, with long breaks in between.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: June 17, 2009 05:50PM

i like my bananas to be a 7# too ..

fruit in general was a hard transition for me, i tend to gravitate to greens , but i found that finding ripe fruit is the key .. i really cant stand underripe fruit its sucha let down for me smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 18, 2009 12:26AM

Jodi,

At least with an underripe banana, you know where you stand. There is no more woeful me than the me that breaks open a fragrant pineapple only to find it humidly, sourly underripe--whaaaaaaaaa!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables