Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mail Irradiation - All but UPS?
Posted by: nik ()
Date: July 11, 2008 10:15PM

I read from some companies that they will only use UPS because all other carries including USPS and FedEx irradiate all of their mail. Is there anything to back this up?

I don't understand how that could be because if they are irradiating all of the mail then it would kill anything living as well as damage sensitive items like DVD's and film, etc. I had live worms shipped to me through USPS and they were still alive. And how could people receive seeds in the mail to plant if they were all irradiated, as they would become sterile and wouldn't grow anymore if they were.

"We only use UPS since all other carriers are now irradiating all packages which can destroy the effective quality of whole food nutritional products."
"To return any item, the item must be shipped UPS. We will not accept returns sent via the US Post Office or Fed Ex since these carriers are now irradiating each package which destroys the life force in our whole food nutraceuticals"
[www.qnlabs.com]

[www.healthyawareness.com]

[www.purebodysolutions.com]

"If you only carry products from high quality manufacturers, why would they irradiate their products? It is not the manufacturer that irradiates the products, it is the shipping services. Unless a manufacturer makes all of their raw ingredients (on site and from scratch) or tests all of the incoming ingredients for irradiation they cannot guarantee that their product/ingredients are 100% irradiation-free. Shipping services like FedEx are usually the worst - PRL informed us that they refuse almost all of their FedEx shipments because the majority of them test positive for irradiation exposure."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mail Irradiation - All but UPS?
Posted by: happyway ()
Date: July 13, 2008 09:07PM

thanks for the heads up

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: July 14, 2008 04:37AM

Where do you live?

Xpresspost (Canada) does not irradiate.

Anything labeled organic coming into the states should not be irradiated, either.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 20, 2010 06:02PM

What I found out when I called UPS a few months ago:
Ground shipments aren't irradiated.
Everything that goes on one of their planes, is irradiated.

What I found out from FedEx calling their customer service:
They told me that they don't irradiate anything, not even if it goes on their plane (I was surprised).
What a Fedex store employee told me:
They only use a scanner to read the bar codes on the shipping labels.

What USPS told me when I called their customer service:
They use x rays for everything.

What I found out from USDA organic certification agents and USDA sites is that the radiation type (carriers seem to use x-rays) and levels used by carriers apparently don't impact the integrity of organic products.

I think it would be great to have an official site that keeps customers up to date with any security measures such as radiation type, doses used, etc. As carriers may change their plans in response to events. For example the 'printer cartridge bomb' found recently on a UPS plane may change UPS's methods).

If anybody knows of such site (I didn't find anything like it), can you please post it?

Posted by: RocketShip ()
Date: November 20, 2010 07:15PM

This is great information.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: November 21, 2010 03:19AM

According to the EPA, only mail to certain zip codes in Washington DC is being irradiated. You can also tell if your mail has been irradiated because things will look irradiated. Quote: "mail often looks yellowed, and can become brittle. Book bindings may become brittle, and plastic may be discolored".

[www.epa.gov]

Is my mail is being irradiated?

Currently only mail to the White House, Congressional offices, and federal government offices in the 202-205 Zip Code exchanges is being irradiated. Irradiation is taking place at facilities in Ohio and New Jersey.

Does mail that has been irradiated become radioactive?

No. The process is roughly analogous to shining a flashlight on the mail - when the flashlight is turned off, mail does not glow, or radiate back the light it received.

Are there changes to the mail after it has been irradiated?

Yes. Irradiating mail at such high intensity creates new compounds, which can result in a different look, feel, and even smell. The potential health effects of these changes is unknown. Because of the intensity of the beam, mail often looks yellowed, and can become brittle. Book bindings may become brittle, and plastic may be discolored. Seeds, plants or other biological material will be sterile, and photographic film will be useless. Items such as gem stones may be altered, and computer disks, CDs, and some electronic equipment (like personal digital assistants) may be damaged.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pics of irradiated mail, you can see how they are yellowed:
[www.life.com]

[www.life.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2010 03:25AM by tropical.

Posted by: catlady ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:31AM

Is the USPS still Irradiating the mail & how does this effect supplements and whole food supplements?

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 26, 2015 12:34AM

According to David WOlfe his cacao, when he was at NFL, was the only raw cacao that was not irradiated and when it came into the USA, there was these stickers on the box that said DO NOT IRRADIATE! ORGANIC FOOD!

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: February 26, 2015 06:55AM

Posted by: suvine ()
Date: May 23, 2015 01:54PM

Not only that but any skype out of the country is watched closely.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables