Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What are some superfoods?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 19, 2009 03:34AM

I am big on exercise. However, lately I have realized that all the pre-workout foods I used to eat to give me sustained energy during my run or workout are no longer acceptable foods. Regularly I would eat a powerbar or if I wasn't going to be working-out for a while a bowl of cereal. Does anybody have any good ideas on foods that will give sustained energy for a workout without creating a bloated full feeling? (I have heard of goji berries)+

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What are some superfoods?
Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:13PM

Bananas, blueberries, kiwi, any type of greens or fruit really is a super-nutrient-rich food.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: June 19, 2009 01:39PM

Right. A light juice or smoothie is also helpful to some. Having some glucose in your system before a workout is probably a good idea.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: June 19, 2009 05:20PM

Doesn't protein take hours before it can be absorbed. I know that it has to sit in the bottom part of the stomach for awhile to get the right digestive fluids for proteins. So carbs would be best.

So why does a powerbar give one energy, is it actually coming from powerbar or does the powerbar trigger the release of stored energy? I know that when substances that the body percieve as being harmful enter the bloodstream, the liver releases energy (sugar) to help the body fight these substances. This is what happens when people smoke, toxins enter the body and that stimulates a release of sugar into the blood to help get rid of those toxins. This is one part of the addiction of smoking. Then when the blood sugar levels drop again,people take another smoke to get their blood sugar levels up. So I'm wondering if the energy is actually coming from the powerbar, it seems like it would take awhile to absorb a powerbar, or from energy released by the liver?

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: June 19, 2009 07:32PM

I can do a half marathon on a couple of bananas. I find it more important to drink and eat right after exercise. Fruit is always good for me before a work out although I tend to steer clear from very watery fruits for obvious reasons.

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:54PM

I train on empty, I eat after. train three times a day no problemo. I would be sick if I trained after a feast lol

Posted by: lawofattraction ()
Date: June 20, 2009 07:22PM

hemp

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: June 21, 2009 04:30AM

The most super foods (in terms of having a high supply of the nutrients our bodies need) are fruits and salads. The fruits are high in vitamins and phyto nutrients (e.g. anti-oxidants), and greens are high in minerals and phyto nutrients. Both these foods are high in water and fiber.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: June 21, 2009 01:28PM

Green Smoothie. Especially good to make 2 jars and have one prior to and one after exercise.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 21, 2009 03:12PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't protein take hours before it can be
> absorbed. I know that it has to sit in the bottom
> part of the stomach for awhile to get the right
> digestive fluids for proteins. So carbs would be
> best.
>
> So why does a powerbar give one energy, is it
> actually coming from powerbar or does the powerbar
> trigger the release of stored energy? I know that
> when substances that the body percieve as being
> harmful enter the bloodstream, the liver releases
> energy (sugar) to help the body fight these
> substances. This is what happens when people
> smoke, toxins enter the body and that stimulates a
> release of sugar into the blood to help get rid of
> those toxins. This is one part of the addiction of
> smoking. Then when the blood sugar levels drop
> again,people take another smoke to get their blood
> sugar levels up. So I'm wondering if the energy is
> actually coming from the powerbar, it seems like
> it would take awhile to absorb a powerbar, or from
> energy released by the liver.

tropical,
I used to like powerbars as a snack, usually at work. They are about 75% sugars which gives you energy, and about 15% protein. The protein is intended to digest slowly in the stomach and intestines so that after your strenuous activity/workout the amino acids will be in a position to be aborbed and help rebuild muscles. They actually have different proteins that take different times to digest.. like 'time release' vitamins.

In addition a powerbar has a host of vitamins and minerals which amount to about 1/2 what a multivitamin might have, which in theory at least, would give the body the raw materials it needs to "release stored energy" and repair itself.

They were better than a lot of other things. These days I often start out with a rhubarb/carrot/coconut 'total juice', if anything at all.

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: June 21, 2009 04:24PM

Bean sprouts and nuts. Everything you need live.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables