Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cancer and eating raw HELP!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 20, 2009 05:22PM

Hi,
I am taking care of my mom who has stage 4 cancer, originating in the lung. We found an integrative DR here that wants her to eat only raw foods. I am doing it with her. I have kids and a husband that I still have to cook for too. We don't know what to eat to get enough protein. I work as well. My mother has been throwing up salad and can tolerate sipping juice but I really don't know what to give her. She is loosing alot of weight. She is not on chemo but is taking something we found called Protocel. She can't eat certain things on this protocall like citrus, tomatoes, and other foods highly acidic or that have high vit. C content. Can anyone advise? Thanks!!!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cancer and eating raw HELP!!!
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 20, 2009 06:25PM

Here's some info about protein on this site:

[www.living-foods.com]

Scroll down to the second to the last question.

Posted by: Sapphire ()
Date: June 20, 2009 10:00PM

Hi Linda:

Do you know how to make green smoothies? If your mom could sip a little bit of green smoothie, it might be more palatable when her appetite is not great. If you flavor it with fruit, and start off with mild tasting greens, like a little bit of spinach, it will taste very good. (and greens are great for protein)

If she can drink some water, there is something I took when I had cancer, and it really seemed to help me - more than any other supplement I tried. It's called cellfood. I don't know where you live, but this is available here in Canada at most health food stores, and many drugstores as well. Here's a website that tells what it is.

[www.luminahealth.com]

It's an oxygen drop with a bunch of enzymes and minerals or something. I don't quite understand what it is, or why it works so well, but some problems I had been having with bleeding gums and stuff cleared right up within days of starting to use this, and I recovered from my cancer surgeries amazingly fast. It's as if there was some certain thing that was missing, and I got it from that. It costs about $40 CDN a bottle (I have seen it a bit less, and also a bit more). I am not connected in any way with this company, and you will have to find your own way to get this if you decide to try it, sorry, I can't help you with that.

Other than smoothies, fruit is very easy to digest, so aside from the items she is restricted on, you could prepare small amounts of cut up fruit for her to nibble on. I don't think you need to worry about protein, it's not needed in nearly the amounts that many of us have been led to believe, in fact, in many cases, too much protein is a much bigger problem than too little, and the fruit will give her all the protein she needs. Personally, I think if I wanted to add any protein, I would probably think about something like a few raw fresh walnuts with some berries. See what appeals to her.

If her appetite is that bad, then she may give you some direction. She might tell you that she can only handle certain foods, probably doesn't even want the heavy kind of foods that cooking makes. I hope you are able to find some good ideas. You don't mention if you own a juicer or a good quality blender or what equipment you have.

Date: June 20, 2009 10:10PM

Oh yes,

Whatever you do, if you stray from the raw path, please STAY AWAY FROM DAIRY!

Every kind of dairy. I personally think that dairy products are more dangerous to human health than cigarettes. I can't stress this enough.

If you want more information from someone who has researched it, either buy a book called "Your Life in Your Hands" by Jane Plant, or else look around the internet. For example [www.alkalizeforhealth.net]

The China Study has some seriously compelling information as well. Here's a video [video.google.ca]

Hope this helps!

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: June 21, 2009 04:21AM

That was a great article, Sapphire. Thank you. I'm going to pass it on to my friends.

Date: June 21, 2009 08:44PM

Tahnks for all the input everyone. Yes, we do have a juicer and I am making her juice mostly conststing of carrots, celery, kale, red cabbage, ginger, spinich,beet tops and beets but not too much of that, parsley and brocolli. May not do all of the above but combinations on different days. As long as she sips them she is ok. For breakfast I am making her a fruit smoothie, usually banana, strawberries, blueberries , protein powder, green powder, red powder, flax oil, a little almond milk ans ice. She likes it although it takes her all morning to drink it. I am worried she might be getting too much suger, cancer loves sugar so we are trying to cut it way down but hard when she can't/won't eat that many vegetables. I am looking into more easy raw recipes for her. Thanks for all the great links and advice! Linda

Date: June 21, 2009 09:44PM

Linda - that sounds like you are doing great! The only thing I would say is to check the source of the protein powder - if it it whey based or soy based, I don't think it is great, and especially not an isolate. You could leave it out altogether, but if you really feel you need a protein, I think the health food store could find you one that is rice or hemp based or something - see what they recommend. In any case, it is a processed food, which makes it less than optimal.

I don't think the sugar is a huge problem in a smoothie, the cancer/sugar connection mostly refers to processed sugars (I think), so might be a bad idea to do much fruit juice (no fiber to slow absorbtion), but blended fruit should be all right. (of course, I would always mix some greens in to slow the sugar absorbtion just a little) And of course, nothing needs any added sweetener of any kind.

One of the best recipe books that I have found for fast and easy meals for just one or two people is Raw Food Made Easy by Jennifer Cornbleet. So many recipe books give you a ton of stuff that feeds 12 people or crazy amounts like that - I am the only raw person in my family, so it is just crazy, I can't get anyone else to eat my food half the time. Also, if you are cooking food for your family while also preparing raw food, I find it helps me a lot to rely on my crockpot and other things that are less time-consuming. (for their stuff) Much of the time, my family is pretty easy to trick - if I just put a small piece of cooked food on their plate, I can surround it with all kinds of raw stuff, and they have no idea. (plus, they are all too lazy to get up and make something else, so they usually just tolerate me!)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 21, 2009 11:20PM

LindaS,

So sorry to hear about your mom. My mom, too, was on Protocel and I did a lot of juices, though not much cabbage, as that's fairly high in Vitamin C. I am assuming you are familiar with the info on:
[www.webnd.com]

If you have not already done so, get the book "Outsmart Your Cancer," by Tanya Harter Pierce:[outsmartyourcancer.com]; it's a comprehensive resource on the use of Protocel, as well as other natural therapies. The best thing I can tell you is to skew towards greens, and liquified, but to not avoid fruit altogether. Sapphire is right that fructose, consumed slowly, as in a blended drink with greens, is not utilized by cancer the way that table sugar is. Besides which fruit has phytochemicals your mom's immune system needs. Avoiding large amounts of citrus, and certain berries is a good idea, because of their C content, but it's really the concentrated supplement forms of all antioxidants, which interfere with the capacitance-limiting action of Protocel, that should be avoided. Small amounts of antioxidant rich fruits are all right.

You are right to be sure your mother maintains her protein levels on Protocel, and this shouldn't be a problem if everything is raw. Consider putting hemp seeds or salba seeds into her blended drinks and make sure she consumes them slowly. If her liver is implicated at all, she has to eat her meals gradually. Lastly, blended raw foods will ensure she stays well-hydrated, which is integral to proper lysed cell disposal.

I do second the use of Jennifer Cornbleet's book for recipes for everyone else in the family; you can make large amounts of most of the recipes to last all week and to create raw sandwiches and raw pasta.

Please keep us posted, and my best wishes to you and your mother.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/21/2009 11:22PM by Tamukha.

Date: June 22, 2009 02:13AM

Yes, we have the book Outsmarting Your Cancer, which is why we chose Protocel. I don't think it is agreeing with her since she is constantly queasy. Now that she has slowed down on her eating and drinking of the juices and salads things are better but she always seems to be queasy. She has dry heaves even in the middle of the night. She takes a dose of the Protocel at 2am and then is even more queasey. I have ordered Barley Max for her, has anyone had experience with it? We have'nt gotten it yet, should come Monday or Tuesday. We have seen a DR in our area who has recommended the raw diet along with sesium and blood irradiation/hydrogen peroxide. We are leaning towards trying that. I just want her to be more comfortable eat ing raw and be able to keep it down. I am doing it too and I have no problem..but i don't have cancer! Thanks for all the input!

Date: June 22, 2009 02:17AM

How did your mother do on Protocel? What type of cancer and how old was she? thanks. Linda

Date: June 22, 2009 12:27PM

My mother is not doing well on Protocel, She is 75 yrs old and after 2 1/2 months, the scans were worse and there were new "hot" spots. It is now in her brain and liver, thats why we are doing the juicing/raw foods diet. The cancer originated in the lung and has spread to different areas including on her pelvis, rib and clavacle. I don't know whether or not to switch to another treatment and stop the Protocel, it seems to be making her very queasey. This has all bee extremely stressful on her too so that does'nt help her stomoch.

Date: June 22, 2009 03:09PM

Linda,

My mom was 64 and in pretty good health(no chronic anything) when she was diagnosed with late stage colon cancer. She had surgery, and at my insistence, declined chemo and did a vegan high raw protocol. I can honestly say that this period was the only time since her diagnosis when she enjoyed good health. Unbeknownst to us, she had a slow growing met in her liver, but she didn't look like she had cancer and she didn't feel like she had cancer.

After six months, her doctor sent her to an oncologist, who recommended chemo as a "precaution," presuming that she had cancer elsewhere--by the time you are diagnosed, you generally already have mets, just not visible yet on scans--to which she agreed. Four horrendous months later, the chemo proved ineffective, there was obvious metastasis in her liver, and my mom stopped. She went back on mostly vegan, partly raw; the difference from what she was first doing matters, and also took Essiac Tea, which slowed growth but didn't reverse it. After this, her doctor recommended a cryoablation, which might have been successful, had she not bled excessively during the procedure, releasing viable cancer cells into her adomen. An unexpected complication, but one that proved dire. It resulted in new metastasis in the liver, and, recalling the first course of chemo, my mom decided to take Protocel instead of another conventional treatment. At four months, she seemd to be doing better, with some lying symptoms and an unrelated surgery revealing a necrotic mass near her pelvis, which I attributed to the Protocel. Her scans showed the masses in her liver to be diffusing, which is typical sign of tumor breakdown on Protocel. However, to the conventional radiologist and oncologist, it looks like a tumor that's spreading. My mother's oncologist is a lovely person, and almost yearningly hopeful about alternative therapies, but also diligent about the conventional protocols, so he read her scans as indicating new tumor growth, rather than Protocel effectiveness, and advised another course of chemo. That, likewise, proved ineffective after six months, and my mother looked at her options and decided Cesium High pH Therapy was her best choice. Unfortunately, her body was so badly ravaged, that she died from complications from the chemotherapy before she had a chance to try the Cesium.

I cannot say for certain whether my mother would still be alive had she ignored the doctor's interpretation of her scans and stayed on the Protocel. I cannot say for certain that the doctor's interpretation of the scans wasn't right, and that the Protocel wasn't, in fact, working. I can say for certain that, had she stayed on her original regimen of raw, vegan foods, lots of sleep, oxygentaing exercise, and happy socializing, she would still be alive. Absolutely certain of that. Your mother can only benefit from raw.

I sympathize with you, I really do. Some people experience obvious signs of efficacy right away on Protocel, and some people take longer. It's hard to feel like you are gambling with your mother's life. Is you mother showing signs of lysing? How is her bloodwork? Her queasiness might be a sign that she's not eliminating dead tissues efficiently. That's why hydration is so important. You are very lucky that your mom has a doctor that knows about alternative therapies and freely recommends them. Again, at the end, my mother thought Cesium would be her best bet. Its primary adverse effect is that it causes potassium imbalances, so that should be supplemented. The main adverse effect of most alternative cancer therapies is that, when they work, they work more effectively than chemo and radiation. They destroy the cells to unviability, unlike conventional therapies, which force the body's macrophages to recycle dead cells. Alternative therapies generally make dead cancer cells wholly unusable so the body must excrete them as waste. This may induce sepsis, but that's rare, and if treament is supervised clinically, not a problem. You can get oral Cesium and potassium from here:[www.essense-of-life.com], but intravenous Cesium High pH Therapy must be sought outside of the States, I believe.

I wish you wellness and peace, Linda, and success. This is a very hard thing to go through, but you are doing your best, and I'm sure your mother knows this and appreciates it. Please let us know if there's anything else we can help you with.

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: June 22, 2009 07:59PM

Hi LindaS,
I have a friend that had cancer and was doing some research on his behalf and found this documentary www.phoenixtearsmovie.com
He didn't end up following it up because the chemo has worked for him so I have no first hand experience of it but it makes some interesting claims.
Wishing you peace,love and strength.

Date: June 23, 2009 01:31AM

That is what we are leaning towards, sesium and blood irradiation treatments. Regardless, the raw food diet is essential at this point and I just have to find what works for my mother. I also have to find out how to make more of a variety of foods that will benefit us both. I have already lost 7 lbs in a week !! Yeah! But she cannot aford to loose much more. Thanks to all who have given me input, I appreciate it!

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: June 23, 2009 01:46AM

Hi LindaS, Pls read Hulda Clark's "The Cure to All Diseases" or "The Cure to All Cancers". You mother should be parasite zapping and taking something to alkalize her body like Cesium Chloride or Paw Paw (there is a special kind). Also, your mother should be detoxing her environment -- not eating/drinking with styrofoam, etc.

Your juices have too much in them. There should only be 2-3 things in them at a time for your mother when she is so ill.

I looked up Protocel and it is not natural. I don't know that this will help your mother. Please read the book, buy a parasite zapper, and buy what will really cure the cancer. I wish your family good health. Therese

Date: June 23, 2009 02:37AM

life101,

Agree that detoxification of lifestyle is necessary, and I hope Linda has already done that with her mother. However, imo, parasite zapping is neither here nor there. For someone not fighting advanced cancer, it's advisable, but in a state of crisis it could overtax the kidneys and liver. Parasites don't cause cancer, and in Linda's mother's case, her body is fighting hard enough, I think. If Linda has her mom on sufficient green drinks, they should gently cleanse her of any pathogens, anyhow.

Btw, Protocel isn't non-alkalizing and it isn't unnatural, it's just not an herb or a food. It works very effectively for many people by using the body's own physics against aberrant cells and without being toxic. I'd certainly consider taking it.

It is wonderful, if also daunting, that there are so many safe approaches to treating cancer that one never need resort to things that one doubts.

Date: June 24, 2009 02:26PM

Thanks for the story about your mother, I am sorry she is no longer with you. I just don't know if the Protocel is working for my mother. We just had her tested for heavy metals which can interfere with the Protocal bur won't know the results for s few more days. She is moaning and groaning having to drink all this green juice and take all the supplements we have her on.She's just not a good patient!! We just got something yesterday called Barley Max it is a green superfood found at www.hacres.com , check it out. Has anyone heard of it? or the Halleluja Diet? Some of it is not totally raw but we are sticking to the raw part.

Date: June 24, 2009 03:23PM

Linda,

Thanks for your sympathy. My mother, too, grumbled about all the juicing. But in retrospect, after her health started to slowly, irretrievably decline on conventional therapies, she really appreciated how well she felt when she was doing raw.

Remember that green drinks, no matter how carefully processed, are not a good substitute for fresh green drinks. I found this out with my mom: when she was no longer enthusiastic about fresh juices and blended drinks, I was giving her loads of organic, low-temp processed green drinks. The effects just weren't the same, unfortunately.

Here's something that may help to encourage you:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: June 24, 2009 06:52PM

LindaS Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We don't know what to eat to get enough protein.

Protein is very sensitive to heat and heat will ruin about half of the protein in a food. Most people eat their foods cooked, so if the RDAs for protein were set at the actual levels needed and we ate that much we would only be absorbing and using half the protein we need. So they had to double the RDAs for protein to compensate for this destruction by heat.

I read about how the RDAs were determined (back in the 50's or 60's I think). They took college kids and fed them diets that were deficient in the amino acid that they were testing for and watched for signs of deficientcies and that helped them determine the minumum ammount the body needed of that aminio acid. Then they took the highest number for each amino acid that they got from testing and then they doubled that number "for safety".

Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, talks about how high levels of protein encourage cancer. If you watch this video (from about 13:00 to 17:00) he talks about this and about how if the level of protein is 20% of the diet then the tumors grow and if it is at 5% then they stop. By alternating diets at 20% and 5% protein he was able to turn cancer growth on and off.

[video.google.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/2009 06:53PM by tropical.

Date: June 24, 2009 09:42PM

Hi Linda,
I had breast cancer 5 years ago. I had the lump removed and refused chemo and radiation. I then went on the Hallelujah diet eating about 75-80% raw and taking Barley Max and drinking carrot juice. Two months ago 2 very small spots were found in the same breast and turned out to be cancer. I immediately went on an all raw diet, continued with my 4-5 glasses of carrot juice and 3 servings of Barley Max a day. We also added wheat grass daily which I think has really turned the tide. I just had a PET/CT scan and there are no signs of cancer. So in answer to your question, I think the Barley Max is very good. I also think you should add wheatgrass daily. It's great for fighting cancer.

Joyce

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: June 25, 2009 06:24AM

A bit more about cancer:
[www.alkalizeforhealth.net]
Cancer and Oxygen
Dr. Otto Warburg received the Nobel prize in 1931 for the discovery that unlike all other cells in the human body, cancer cells do not breathe oxygen. Cancer cells are anaerobic, which means that they derive their energy without needing oxygen. It turns out that cancer cells cannot survive in the presence of high levels of oxygen and this has given rise to a variety of successful treatments based on oxygenating the tissues,
. . .
One way to oxygenate is to use Chlorophyll to build the blood up. Greens are vital because the chlorophyll in green leafy plants is nearly identical to hemoglobin, the part of our blood which carries oxygen from our lungs to the tissues of our bodies.

The problem with chlorophyll is that it is very hard to assimilate because the cell walls around it are indigestible. So we might eat a big bowl of salad and assimilate very little chlorophyll because it is locked inside the cell walls which are impervious to digestive juices.

The cell walls need to be MECHANICALLY broken down. Herbivores will "chew the cud" like chewing gum to break down the cell walls, but humans prefer to blend their greens.

A quick fact sheet about wheatgrass and Chlorophyll that makes me want to try to grow it again. I've never been very successful at growing things and if I had cancer I would probably be using dried green supplement - like JJ1 suggested using Barly Max in the previous post.
[www.falconblanco.com]
. . .
[www.angelfire.com]
The High Enzyme Environment

Cancer cells develop a protein coating 13 times thicker than normal cells. This makes it difficult for the immune system to attack them. By ingesting high doses of pancreatin, you can actually dissolve cancer cells inside the body.

In the natural course of one's lifetime, millions of cancer cells develop, and are harmlessly digested by the immune system. The body uses pancreatin, a secretion from the pancreas to dissolve the cancer cells. As we age, the pancreas is less and less able to make this important substance. By taking pancreatin orally, it is possible to increase the levels of its active ingredients in the blood, thereby helping the body break down the cancer cells and remove them from circulation.

Pancreatin as a digestive enzyme is available from any health food store in the country, however this type of pancreatin is useless for the cancer patient. The active ingredients in pancreatin which have shown to have tumor dissolving abilities are trypsin and chymotrypsin. These ingredients were taken out of virtually all the pancreatin supplements available to consumers years ago. These active ingredients are being bought in massive quantities by the sewerage industries to digest the sewerage into less noxious forms.

This is exactly what is needed in the human body. Our own internal sewerage needs to be dissolved, and to do this, the body uses trypsin and chymotrypsin.
. . .
There was an all fruit cancer fighting diet that had pineapple and papaya as central to the diet. It turns out that Papaya and Pinapple (as well as guava,kiwi and figs) have these two enzymes according to the book "Fear Cancer No More" By Mauris L. Emeka.
[books.google.com]
. . .

That diet was "The Dries Cancer Diet"
[www.rawfoodsupport.com]
Dr. Dries gives you a list of fruit and vegetables ranked I (one) through VIII (eight) in order of the amount you should consume. Those in group one should be consumed at every meal and daily. Those in group eight are more for adding a bit of variety and supplementing the main items.

For example, Group I consists of the following:
Pineapple, Honeydew Melon, Raspberries, Cactus Fruits, Avocado, Pollen, and Comb Honey.

Group II is:
Bilberries, Kiwi, Cherries, Persimmon, Apricots, Yellow Spanish Melon, Melon, Galea Melon, Mango, Papaya, Almonds, Chervil, Mushrooms, and Honey.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/25/2009 06:28AM by tropical.

Date: June 25, 2009 06:13PM

Thanks for all the great info..there is so much out there. I hate tht the oncologists only want to give chemo and never even suggest dietary changes. Instead, they say,"Eat what you like so you don't loose too much weight" and have pastries in the waiting room. I feel like screaming at them and telling the other patients what they are doing is helping the cancer kill them faster!!!!

Date: June 26, 2009 12:30AM

Linda,

Ha-ha! In my mom's chemo ward, the head nurse would go around with a basket of Jolly Rancher hard candies and hand them out to the cancer patients. I kid you not! That's like injecting sucrose directly into a cancer cell! My mom would see that and mutter, "Look, here comes the Easter Bunny of Death."

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 26, 2009 12:39AM

After watching "Farah's Story" last month and then reading about her death today I am more convinced then ever that I would opt for a raw food lifestyle rather then conventional treatment.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: June 28, 2009 06:45PM

Linda

All power to you and your mother.
Small amounts of green smoothies may help. Predominantly fruit with a small amount of green to start.

I do hope that im never tested on this one.
I do know that i would place my trust in raw rather than conventional medicine.

I have worked in complementary medicine for 20 years. I worked in a hospice with palliative care patients. I left because i could no longer support the 'well meant' , misinformed practices.

I have many therapist friends and collegues.
I am always amazed at how quickly they opt for conventional medicine as soon as the C word is mentioned.
It is their choice and i do not judge them for it.
Its simply an observation.

My heart goes out to you, others facing, plus those brave souls that have faced this difficult decision.

ffx

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables