Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

sprouts
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 13, 2015 04:30PM

what are all the anti nutrients in sprouts
and what are the best methods to counter them

sproutman?
any others?

also, any great books out there that are really comprehensive that talks about sprouts.. how to grow them...what to watch out for... nutrient benefits...things to watch out for... i notice that ann wigmore's book doesn't talk about anti nutrients

i'd like one that is "balanced" ..talks about the pros and cons and how to counter them

sproutman

i hope you write a book

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: sprouts
Date: August 13, 2015 11:16PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> what are all the anti nutrients in sprouts
> and what are the best methods to counter them

There are far too many anti nutrients to name, but in many respects anti nutrients are our friends because they are largely phytochemicals which are very important health nutrients. The key to consuming health giving anti nutrients is to learning how to make them work for you while minimising their impact as anti nutrients. Eating certain foods wilkl help counteract the problems.

Anti nutrients can also be toxins, but these can often be delt with too. Various toxins also act as goitrogens,so things like kelp can help chelate them and take them out of the body as well as counteract the thyroid suppressing effects of goitrogens.

Anti nutrients can also be protein and starch inhibitors, so sprouts must be chosen wisely and prepared properly. One may even wish to use digestive enzymes and see how it goes.

The biggest problem is the rogue indigestable protein called lectins, however brown seaweeds chelate with this nasty protein and carry it out of the body. Fermenting also breaks down this protein. That is why sprouted legumes and sprouted grains must be eaten with strategies in mind or else one can get an enlarged pancrease and get deficient because these lectins steal the nutrients in the intestines. They are the Mr Nasty of the raw food world.

>
> sproutman?
> any others?
>
> also, any great books out there that are really
> comprehensive that talks about sprouts

The best book that used to be out there on the science of sprouts was `sprout for the love of every body' by Kulvinskas. It is out of print but you may be able to find it somewhere. Truthfully, none of the sprout books out there are up to scrach with the science because they are all old books and out of date....the science is far more advanced now.

.. how to
> grow them...

Sproutman's book is by far the best. You can also use the sprout people's website for the basics.

>what to watch out for... nutrient
> benefits...things to watch out for... i notice
> that ann wigmore's book doesn't talk about anti
> nutrients

None of the sprout books are very strong in this area, however a new book is being written which will cover all these things in great detail like never before. smiling smiley

>
> i'd like one that is "balanced" ..talks about the
> pros and cons and how to counter them

There will be a book which talks about these things in great detail soon.

>
> sproutman
>
> i hope you write a book

I am! smiling smiley It will be the `go to' classic sprout book that will have everything in it. Sprouts are a very misunderstood by many (the most misunderstood food of them all), so this book will give unique insights which will make them much easier to understand so the big mystery is revealed.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/13/2015 11:26PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: August 13, 2015 11:21PM

Of course l will always say that carefully selected sprouted foods ARE the finest foods we can possibly eat, but the key to doing well on them is a long term strategy of finely tuning the body and being able to tame the savage beast within some of the sprouts such as the nasty old lectin. We can get it to the point where sprout digestion goes as smooth as silk, but it doesn't always start out like that.

www.thesproutarian.com

Date: August 14, 2015 07:02AM

sproutman.. you wrote:

<<Sproutman's book is by far the best. You can also use the sprout people's website for the basics.>>

who are you referring to when you say "sproutman"? are you referring to yourself..and your future book or some other book?

i really hope you write a comprehensive book
please let us know

i'd be interested

thanks for giving the low down on the lectins and brown seaweed

which brown seaweed do you recommend ?
i know you mentioned it before
but i just don't recall
can you name a few?

thanks for all the info!

Date: August 14, 2015 12:44PM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> who are you referring to when you say "sproutman"?
> are you referring to yourself..and your future
> book or some other book?

Steve Meyerowitz. I never usually use that name because it is so difficult to spell. Yes, Steve goes way beyond jar sprouting and takes growing to a whole new level with his greenhouse sprout growing. Jar sprouts should never be used for greens. Steve's book was ground breaking with his growing techniques,and his science was good for those days also.

>
> i really hope you write a comprehensive book
> please let us know

It will be a comprehensive book because it is well overdue. Years of research and experience has gone into it. We need a real sprouting classic, and this will be the book to go to and will serve a new generation until a new sproutarian hits the scene and updates the book in another 25 years. I am also going to broaden it so the average raw fooder, cooked vegan/vegetarian and SAD person can use it, and l want to change the current thinking in the raw food world. I am not going to get too extreme, l will appeal to a broad audience.

I would also love to write a book on fats, fermentation, alkaline/acid theory (tricky topic) and a number of different things. Got some really good ideas saved up and plenty of science, especially on fermentation where a book could be written right away. The sprouts is the easy subject, but those other subjects will be really hard.

> which brown seaweed do you recommend ?
> i know you mentioned it before
> but i just don't recall
> can you name a few?

The easiest one to find is common old kelp. Apparently Wakami is not so good these days because it is highest in fats, and the fats draw more toxins in the seaweed which reduces the health effects. Other brown seaweeds should be good too.

www.thesproutarian.com

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2015 12:53PM by The Sproutarian Man.

Date: August 16, 2015 06:31AM

kelp
is nice in salads. thanks

meyerowitz
i got a book of his a while ago.. i think it was a juicing book.

i did not get his sprout book though
does he talk about counteracting anti nutrients
i always like to get the whole picture

maybe one book at a time
one book - sprouts
next book- ferments
etc.

so we don't have to wait too long smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables