Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Salt, Garlic Salt, Seasonings, etc.
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: June 30, 2009 12:19AM

Do any of you incorporate any of those ingredients into your diet? I LOVE garlic and I really miss putting garlic salt on my avocado or salads. I know it's not "raw," but I wonder how the rest of you handle this issue/craving? Sometimes I'm really craving SALT and seasoning. What do you suggest?

MY JUICER DIDN'T COME TODAY YET !!! Sob - Sniffle =*(

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Salt, Garlic Salt, Seasonings, etc.
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: June 30, 2009 02:01AM

plainlydressed

What do you suggest?

Everyone has to make their own call on what they will and what they will not include in their diet depending on the amount of benefit they want to receive as a result of their actions . . . (cause --> effect).

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: June 30, 2009 06:37AM

I'd suggest in this case weaning yourself off these gradually. Rather than cutting them out overnight, try halving the amounts you'd usually use.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: June 30, 2009 11:40AM

Salt is sodium chloride. Both sodium and chloride are essential nutrients. Plants have them in micro amounts. Humans need them in macro amounts. The craving may be a physiological need.

Can you make raw garlic salt?

Date: June 30, 2009 12:05PM

I haven't been using any of those ingredients since going 100% raw, but I do occasionally crave salt. I like the idea of making raw garlic salt with sea salt. Using that on my salads might help satisfy that craving, if I can figure out how to deal with the garlic breath around my patients. Hmmmm.... Thanks for the in-put.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 30, 2009 02:01PM

plainlydressed,

I use sea salt when I'm not consuming a lot of, say, celery juice. And I will occasionally use fresh garlic, because I think it's tastier and healthier than a powder. Can you find low-temp dehydrated garlic powder? If you mix that with sea salt or fine black rock salt, as I think loeve is suggesting, that would be a good substitute.

Date: June 30, 2009 02:22PM

loeve

Can you make raw garlic salt?

I have seen some posts about people who have dehydrators that are able to get around the chemical salt problem and get live plant salt by dehydrating celery at a low temperature and then grinding it into a powder. Add that to dehydrated garlic powder as Tamukha suggests and that might work as a live plant salt.

Date: June 30, 2009 02:49PM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> loeveCan you make raw garlic salt?
>
> I have seen some posts about people who have
> dehydrators that are able to get around the
> chemical salt problem and get live plant salt by
> dehydrating celery at a low temperature and then
> grinding it into a powder. Add that to dehydrated
> garlic powder as Tamukha suggests and that might
> work as a live plant salt.

Chemical salt is not a problem in moderation. Emergency rooms often have people getting saline IV's, which is simply two chemicals mixed together, H20 and NaCl. Water plus salt = saline IV solution.

Celery has good sodium true. Does it have significant chloride? I think we need about 750mg of chloride per day. We need both.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 02:54PM by loeve.

Date: June 30, 2009 04:47PM

If the emergency room is giving people salt water IV's then it must be good for em. Right ?

Date: June 30, 2009 05:04PM

After the ER finishes with the patient they ought to feed them a meal of healthy hospital food.
If I ever go to an ER I will try to take a fresh raw young coconut with me to put into the IV bag and take my own food too.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 30, 2009 09:14PM

EZ,

The saline is used in ERs because it is immediately assimilated into the bloodstream and helps maintain/regulate electrolytes, whatever else is going on with the patient. It's easy to confuse the discipline of medicine with that of biochemistry, but it is the latter behind the ER saline drip.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 30, 2009 09:34PM

I don't think people need to eat any type of isolated foods such as salt. If it pleases you and you notice no ill effects, go for it. But I wouldn't consider sea salt or table salt to be a food or necessary.

Celery has sodium and chloride. I have read that for good chlorine absorption, it's best to limit sodium intake. Some people who are not eating the 80-10-10 way or high-fruit, low-fat get too much sodium, anyway. Bananas and dates also have chloride.

Loeve, I'd be interested to see where you get your info from, considering you think 1/2 tsp. of salt a day is recommended for a human/land animal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 09:34PM by Utopian Life.

Date: June 30, 2009 11:19PM

..Utopian Life, please don't misquote me.

..estimated chloride and sodium estimated requirements for healthy adults (18yrs or more)..

--chloride 750mg

--sodium 500mg

[www.nap.edu]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2009 11:29PM by loeve.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: June 30, 2009 11:41PM

I think it was another thread where you recommended 1/2 tsp. salt/day, not this one. I didn't mean to misquote anyone.

I still don't think people should use salt. Just eat food.

Date: June 30, 2009 11:54PM

Oh, the 'salt in recipes' thread where we discussed adding salt to recipes.. This is what I said..

"Brigitte Mars on natural remedies for headaches..

"Foods to eat more of include barley, black sesame seed, buckwheat, rye, carrots, celery, radish, and scallions."

[brigittemars.com]

..so she seems to associate headache with lack of minimal intake of mineral rich veggies (containing healthy amounts of sodium), like "barley, sesame seeds...carrots, celery, radish and scallions".

..on adding salt to recipes, one tsp of salt has about 2 grams of sodium which, according to the Vegan Society, is in the "reasonably safe" (2-5grams) range [www.vegansociety.com] , pretty low considering adult males often consume 9g/day. One tsp of salt also contains about 3 grams of chloride, another essential mineral for digestion which is found in plants only in trace amounts, the lack of which causing bloating.

I seldom add salt to recipes, preferring to use the shaker on certain foods, but would not turn up my nose at someone's salty dish."

loeve

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2009 12:01AM by loeve.

Posted by: dhsredhead ()
Date: July 01, 2009 06:36AM

What about seaweed flakes?

Date: July 01, 2009 11:47AM

..yes, seaweed is used by some as a good source of chloride, iodine (fresh seaweed?) and sodium.

..by the way, tomatoes are a very good source of chloride (108mg/cup) but are low in sodium (16mg/cup) [www.whfoods.com] (Maybe that's why some say tomatoes are a good source of "salt"?) Some fruits and vegetables have more than just a "trace" of these minerals, especially if you include sea vegetables.

Date: July 02, 2009 02:52PM

Excellent suggestion, because I notice my "savory food" craving seems to be satisfied when I eat tomatoes.

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: July 02, 2009 03:01PM

I agree about excluding salt from the diet. As stated above, tomatoes help. Also celery.

If a food makes you thirsty, how can that be healthful for your body?

Date: July 10, 2009 09:58AM

Here's a bunch of info on salt: [www.cspinet.org]

Posted by: rawdanceruk ()
Date: July 10, 2009 10:11AM

just eat.. no "seasoning" needed for perfection!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables