Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Vita-Veg Days,
Posted by: KFCA ()
Date: December 08, 2015 01:50PM

also known as How Hollywood Became The Exotic Diet Capitol of the World.

Interesting on-line article from the Los Angeles Times by Charles Perry from back in March 2000. Both historical & a fun read. Enjoy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Vita-Veg Days,
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: December 08, 2015 05:20PM

My goodness. What a history!

Date: December 08, 2015 07:35PM

Good early LA health guru history, but the author left out some of the usual suspects such as Norman Walker, Dr. St. Louis Estes (Estes graduated from Northwestern University's Dental School, so technically earned a bona fide Dr. title), and there was one other guy very similar to Paul Bragg, who also billed himself as Health Consultant to the Stars---he supposedly had Marlena Deitrich (sp?) in his camp. His name escapes me unfortunately, but very well known back in the day. This will drive me crazy...

Date: December 08, 2015 08:30PM

From that I found the "one other guy" and ordered one of his books.

Gayelord Hauser.

Date: December 09, 2015 12:19AM

Thanks Suze. I just read his "bio" at Wikipedia, and he & Bragg must have been twins separated at birth! I hadn't read that Wiki article in several years, & just realized how much their (alleged) life stories melded. They must have been channeling each other.

Note that they were both born in 1895, but in the end Hauser died in 1984, rather than Bragg's 1976, so Hauser wins the toys on that one. Hauser comes through Ellis Island in 1911 from Europe (coincidence upon coincidence, Norman Wardhaugh Walker, came through there in 1910 from Europe---unbelievable!), then Bragg & Hauser both (allegedly) contracted TB, I guess "terminal", what else?, and both went to Switzerland where they were both "cured"--- Hauser by a "monk" & Bragg in a very expensive Swiss sanitarium. At least so the story goes.

They both ended up in HollywoodLand, where they collected the Big Stars of the time as followers, Hauser landing both Garbo & Dietrich, while Swanson, as in Gloria, seemed to Vacillate between the two, but Bragg (allegedly) snapped up the crowned heads of Europe. I get the impression that for both, their first best-selling product was a laxative.

On a personal note, I well remember when Hauser came to my Midwest hometown circa late 1940ties, rented a downtown movie theater, and put on his roadshow. It was all very exciting. I don't think Bragg ever came.

Posted by: BJ ()
Date: December 09, 2015 01:21AM

For those who haven't ordered Gayelord Hausers book I'll give a bit of a synopsis. Well into the 1950's, 60's and 70's as well as Gayelord Hauser, there was also Lelord Kordell, Bernard Jensen, Jack Lalanne, Bragg and Ehret.

Neither of the first 5 were raw foodists, vegans or even vegetarians. The core of their principles was to avoid refined processed junk food, as well as well replacing things such as: white sugar with raw sugar or honey, white rice with brown rice and white flour products with whole grains. They all recommended supplements , vitamins and minerals. Replaced ordinary salt with sea salt and included things such as kelp powder, dulse and things such as brewers yeast, wheat germ and bran.

Most of them lived well into their 90's: Hauser 89, Jensen 92, Lalane 96 and Kordell 97. Bragg fibbed his birthdate and added about 10 years till someone checked his records, but in his case it appears a water related accident was incidental in his early death.

Hauser had his cleansing days with juices, herb teas and vegie broth. I don't think much of what he wrote will resonate with some of the '' experts '' on this board.

None of these people ate a high fruit diet. IN the 90's and early 2000's Chet Day had a series online and he decided to find out about all the different diets. He found that most of the health advocates of a high fruit diet ended up succumbing to cancer in their 70's, and it seemed that the high amounts of fruit fed the cancer ( or according to Fresh, they were doing it wrong ).

Date: December 09, 2015 01:31PM

I'm pressed for time now but here are a few things I've found on line about Gayelord Hauser.

He invented that ghastly "Spike" jarred "gourmet" spice mix I remember now, (too well), bringing home from my first ever trip to a health food store.

Supposedly he cured his "tubercular hip" with 36 lemons a day.

One of his famous movie star queen clients was on his tomato juice and cracker diet.

He actually played a seemingly bit part role in another kingdom of drama - the dueling spa and cosmetic empresses Helena Rubenstein (sp.?) and Estee Lauder.

From the Wikipedia entry I learned why I needn't have felt bad for him that he was born with such an unfortunate name (which the first time I, too quickly and erroneously, read as 'Gayelord Hoser'). He wasn't born with that name. Quite the showman.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 13, 2015 07:28AM

hey KFCA

<<also known as How Hollywood Became The Exotic Diet Capitol of the World.

Interesting on-line article from the Los Angeles Times by Charles Perry from back in March 2000. Both historical & a fun read. Enjoy.>>

Where is this article? I don't see any linnks or anything. Where did you post it?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables