Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

How Do You Ripen A Totally Dark Green Pineapple That Finds It's Way To Your Kitchen?
Posted by: SueZ ()
Date: January 15, 2016 01:02AM

Is it Possible? Has anyone here tried it and been successful?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How Do You Ripen A Totally Dark Green Pineapple That Finds It's Way To Your Kitchen?
Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: January 15, 2016 06:11AM

Once, I put a totally green mango out in the sun. Just laid it there on the grass.
It tasted fantastic afterwards. It was ripened. Turned into a nice sunset hue, sweet, juicy.. perfect.

Re: How Do You Ripen A Totally Dark Green Pineapple That Finds It's Way To Your Kitchen?
Date: January 15, 2016 11:53AM

la_veronique Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Once, I put a totally green mango out in the sun.
> Just laid it there on the grass.
> It tasted fantastic afterwards. It was ripened.
> Turned into a nice sunset hue, sweet, juicy..
> perfect.

Whole different ballgame.

Not applicable.

Date: January 15, 2016 11:56AM

SueZ Wrote:
> Is it Possible? Has anyone here tried it and been
> successful?

Anyone? I personally

Date: January 15, 2016 12:16PM

SueZ Wrote:
> Is it Possible? Has anyone here tried it and been
> successful?

I personally do not believe it is possible to ripen a pineapple that has been picked so long before maturity that it is still entirely green. I have never read or tried any of the several methods claiming to work that actually worked.

From my own experimenting,(from back before I knew much of anything about pineapples), and from what I've subsequently read about pineapples, I have no reason to believe much hope is possible - but I'm open to reason. Is there co key pineapple ripening factor I'm missing?

Can green picked pineapples be ripened at home? Has anyone accomplished this task?

Date: January 15, 2016 12:19PM

SueZ Wrote:
> SueZ Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is it Possible? Has anyone here tried it and
> been
> > successful?
>
> Anyone? I personally

Opps. This is what I was trying to post ...

I personally do not believe it is possible to ripen a pineapple that has been picked so long before maturity that it is still entirely green. I have never read or tried any of the several methods claiming to work that actually worked.

From my own experimenting,(from back before I knew much of anything about pineapples), and from what I've subsequently read about pineapples, I have no reason to believe much hope is possible - but I'm open to reason. Is there some key pineapple ripening factor I'm missing?

Can green picked pineapples be ripened at home? Has anyone accomplished this task?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/15/2016 12:20PM by SueZ.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: January 15, 2016 02:03PM

I have placed many green pineapples out in the sun for up to 5 days and maybe even longer and they ripened. They go from green to golden. It is possible to leave them out even longer than 5 days, but you have to touch them to make sure they are not fermenting. Sometimes even after they turned mostly yellow, they still retained one green spot and so I left them to ripen that one spot and that is when I had to make sure I was not risking fermenting the whole pineapple. I would turn them so the whole pineapple would turn yellow. Like leave the pineapple in one direction of the sun for one day and then turn it the next day. And keep turning it once each day until the whole thing turns yellow.

The reason I didn't respond to this earlier is because I don't remember trying this in winter. I remember doing this in full sun. Also I left the pineapples out all week ouside. I didn't bother taking them in and outside.

I have ripened tomatoes on sunny window sills, so I would be inclined to try various methods.

Date: January 15, 2016 05:09PM

Tai, thanks for your response. Are you sure you recall rightly that the those pineapples were ones that hadn't started to lighten yet? Did you eat them as is? If you used them mixed with other fruits, in smoothies, or grilled them, for instance, it would have been hard to determine how much if any sweetening really occurred.

I have also had pineapples who's skin have been coaxed to turn yellow but their flesh did not ripen. They didn't get any sweeter or less fibrous. It's more likely the one's you had were in the early stages of fermentation rather than ripening if they were completely green to start with.

Anyone else?

Date: January 15, 2016 06:29PM

Hey Suez, yes I tried those pineapples while they were green and they weren't very sweet. after a week of sun, they turned sweeter and the tartness changed to sweet.
i noticed when I left one out for too long, it started to shrivel and ferment.

I use this method with any green pineapple. If the pineapple has no sweetness whatsoever to begin with, it's not going to get super sweet but the sun will impart a little/some sweetness to it, when it turns yellow.

The sun really speeds up the ripening process.

Date: January 15, 2016 08:44PM

Tai Wrote:

> The sun really speeds up the ripening process.

Tai, from the new ag info I've found today everything says that there is no way that the sun speeds up the ripening process of pineapples once they have been picked. However, there is at least one type of pineapple which is ripe when it's skin is still totally green. That kind has the distinguishing feature of having straight sided rather than a curved profile.

So far I have only had experience trying to ripen green pineapples with curved profiles. Were the totally green ones you had the straight sided ones?

Date: January 16, 2016 01:20AM

Why don't you just do an experiment to test out what can or can't happen?
It can't hurt.

Place the pineapple in a plastic bag with a pretty ripe banana. The ripe banana will continue to release high amounts of ethylene which is the gas responsible for ripening. This may trigger the green pineapple to also speed up its ripening process. The more ripe bananas you put in, the more ethylene they will collectively emit and the better chance the pineapple may have of ripening.

Don't use a paper bag because the plastic bag ( if you tie it ) is better at trapping the ethylene gas.

Put this plastic bag ( that has the ripening banana) out in the sun.

Observe what happens.

Give it a week ( or more).

If nothing happens...then, at least you had fun trying.

If something happens...you have a nice pineapple salad for lunch.

Nothing to lose.. and perhaps a little something to be gained.

No use theorizing if this or that won't work. Put it to the test and just try it out or deal with having a green pineapple as your mute and constant housemate.

Date: January 16, 2016 02:24AM

Forgot to mention. Plastic bag should be clear ( so sunlight can go through) rather than opaque. An obvious detail but ....

Date: January 16, 2016 02:37AM

la_veronique Wrote:
> Why don't you just do an experiment to test out
> what can or can't happen?
> It can't hurt.
>
>
>
>
> Place the pineapple in a plastic bag with a pretty
> ripe banana. The ripe banana will continue to
> release high amounts of ethylene which is the gas
> responsible for ripening. This may trigger the
> green pineapple to also speed up its ripening
> process. The more ripe bananas you put in, the
> more ethylene they will collectively emit and the
> better chance the pineapple may have of ripening.
>
>
> Don't use a paper bag because the plastic bag ( if
> you tie it ) is better at trapping the ethylene
> gas.
>
> Put this plastic bag ( that has the ripening
> banana) out in the sun.
>
> Observe what happens.
>
> Give it a week ( or more).
>
> If nothing happens...then, at least you had fun
> trying.
>
> If something happens...you have a nice pineapple
> salad for lunch.
>
> Nothing to lose.. and perhaps a little something
> to be gained.
>
> No use theorizing if this or that won't work. Put
> it to the test and just try it out or deal with
> having a green pineapple as your mute and constant
> housemate.

That was one of the many experiments I mentioned I tried - but with apples instead of a banana. Nope. No change in brix. Didn't work.

Tai, I found this video of a Whole Foods green pineapple with straight sides that the produce employee is featuring which may be the kind that is supposed to really be ripe when it's green. Did yours look like this one? I've never had one shaped like that but there's no way I'd buy that thing on purpose. It's flesh is obviously not ripe, IMO.

[www.wholefoodsmarket.com]

Re: How Do You Ripen A Totalowlly Dark Green Pineapple That Finds It's Way To Your Kitchen?
Date: January 16, 2016 05:48AM

SueZ
So far I have only had experience trying to ripen green pineapples with curved profiles. Were the totally green ones you had the straight sided ones?

Tai
I remember the pineapples to be wider at the base than at the top.

Yes, I have had sweet green pineapples, but I tend to cringe at the thought of opening a green pineapple, unless it is explicitly stated on the label to be very sweet. Otherwise I let them turn yellow. I have had enough experience eating green pineapples to not do that anymore. Also I share with a household. I don't eat whole ones by myself.

Re: How Do You Ripen A Totalowlly Dark Green Pineapple That Finds It's Way To Your Kitchen?
Date: January 16, 2016 12:25PM

Tai Wrote:
> SueZ
> So far I have only had experience trying to ripen
> green pineapples with curved profiles. Were the
> totally green ones you had the straight sided
> ones?
>
> Tai
> I remember the pineapples to be wider at the base
> than at the top.
>
> Yes, I have had sweet green pineapples, but I tend
> to cringe at the thought of opening a green
> pineapple, unless it is explicitly stated on the
> label to be very sweet. Otherwise I let them turn
> yellow. I have had enough experience eating green
> pineapples to not do that anymore. Also I share
> with a household. I don't eat whole ones by
> myself.

Thank you, Tai.

Now that I have found the Whole Foods video featuring the green straight sided variety of pineapple I'm interested to know if anyone has eaten one of those can report on whether that kind is any good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables