Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

aero garden
Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 17, 2009 01:51AM

Hi, just curious do any of you own an Aero Garden? If so which one and do you like it? It seems so interesting and such a smart idea for people with little room.

Judy

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: aero garden
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 17, 2009 04:50PM

during the winter im constantly dabbling in hydroponics, using small home made systems. i used to work in a greenhouse once upon a time so i have a bit of experience in that area smiling smiley i find aero garden and similar things a bit gimmicky but for certain if they introduce you to the interesting world of hydroponics and help you eat a bit more fresh food from your small space then im all for saying go for it smiling smiley

one of the first home made units was quite simple that i still use i have a large south facing window that i have a 6 foot long, 3 inch diameter plastic pipe capped at both ends, holds drilled in the top every 2 inches. i plant individual lettuces for each hole. a 5 gallon bucket and aquarium pump delivers the water smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 17, 2009 06:30PM

JOdi...do you have any pictures of your ingenious system? How big does your lettuce get, and what do you do to mineralize/supplement the water?

Date: July 17, 2009 06:58PM

i dont have a pic sorry i need to get a new camera smiling smiley

i have a few rotating worm bins going and i siphon off the worm castings tea from the bottom (and filter it through pantyhose then a coffee filter so no dirt gets in the system) and add that to the water as nutrients smiling smiley its loose leaf lettuce and gets as big as any bunch at the store so maybe 15-20 leaves? smiling smiley i have to confess i snip an awful lot of the time for baby lettuce greens tho lol smiling smiley

i'll see if i can borrow a camera to take a pic or find something similar on the net .. i know its hard to explain what it exactly looks like but basically its just a plastic tube running along my window sill and the bucket sits off to the side by the electrical plug which i just plug in the pump ..water ... then unplug .. ive thought about putting it on a cheapo timer .. maybe this winter smiling smiley

Date: July 17, 2009 07:09PM

ok it looks like pretty close to these tubes .... just a single one .. attatched to my window sill smiling smiley

[www.flickr.com]

also my holes are closer together , the plants are in small baskets, and the grow medium is coconut husk which i get alot of reuse out of smiling smiley

Date: July 18, 2009 12:33PM

Thank you for your reply. We were able to pick up a decent model for $35 so I thought it was for sure worth a try. Thanks again.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: July 18, 2009 08:07PM

Jodi--

Wow, that's such a great concept; I really haven't encountered it before. I live in a highrise apartment with no patio, and we have a huge picture window in our living room, so that would be ideal for me. Now.... to sell Jonathan on the idea; I'm sure he'll think it's a hassle. I'll have to work on him for awhile. ;-p

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 19, 2009 01:55AM

Just tell him you're doing it and that's final! Lol

Date: July 19, 2009 02:22AM

tealady thats cool i hope you really get into it gardening on any scale is really rewarding smiling smiley

hehe sharrhan thanks smiling smiley the tubes in the pic are quite large .. mine is just a length of plastic pipe 3's diameter with the holes drilled in the top smiling smiley you could make smaller ones .. hang em from chains from the top of the window sash .. etc smiling smiley mine attatch to the window sill i just put hooks at each end and looped a cord around the pipe to keep it in place , plus its easy to pop off take outside and hosedown if needed smiling smiley it doesnt provide me with ALL my greens for the winter but it helps fill in the budget smiling smiley in 6 ft of space i can get average 25 good full heads of lettuce out of 30 holes ..like i said i snip away at them for baby greens so a half dozen or so never make it to maturity tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2009 02:31AM by Jgunn.

Date: July 19, 2009 12:51PM

Jgunn,

Thanks, I am excited about it. It is a good starting place. I am amazed and a little ovewhelmed with all the new things I would like to experiment with as I explore this new lifestyle.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables