Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Farmers Market
Posted by: tealady ()
Date: July 18, 2009 12:50PM

Hello I am new into this lifestyle and would love some help from you experts. I am on my way to the farmers market this am and would like to know what your favorites are to purchase at your farmers markets,

Thanks for your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Farmers Market
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 18, 2009 02:50PM

My staples are:
Romaine
Dandelion greens
Celery
Carrots
Beets
Kale
Parsley

Watermelon
Cantaloupe
Pears
cherries
strawberries
blueberries

Vinny

Date: July 18, 2009 05:58PM

We just got back and found a very interesting weed called Purslane, Anyone heard of it?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 18, 2009 06:39PM

tealady,

Purslane was a common English salad herb in the 16, 17, & early 1800s. It is still used commonly in Middle Eastern green salads and in Indian fresh chutneys. It was considered a pick-me-up because of it's piquant flavor. I grew it one summer; grows like a weed in sandy soil so it's easy to grow at home. Tell us how you like it : )

Date: July 18, 2009 08:07PM

Tamukha,

Thanks I will for sure let you know how it works. We had it in our salad today and it was great. I am having trouble finding a place to purchase it though. Since it is a hardy little weed I might just replant some of the stuff I got at farmers market today.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: July 18, 2009 09:29PM

I "ditto" eaglefly for sure. Sounds like we shop at the same places. *LOL* =) Except I also add Onions, Radishes, Peaches, Nectarines, Plums, and Grapes to the list. I've been using primarily green grapes as the base for all my smoothies because of their water-content (helps with blending) and they are sweet, so I can load it up with lots of other things and the sweetness covers the more unpleasant tastes of some things.

Keep us posted on your shopping trip and have fun. You'll learn real quick that you will need to buy TONS more than you think you need in order to maintain a variety and ENOUGH quantity of food throughout the day / week.

eaglefly Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> My staples are:
> Romaine
> Dandelion greens
> Celery
> Carrots
> Beets
> Kale
> Parsley
>
> Watermelon
> Cantaloupe
> Pears
> cherries
> strawberries
> blueberries
>
> Vinny

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: July 19, 2009 04:01AM

Purslane. So easy to grow. If some of the seeds are black, toss them on the ground. Water them if you want. And just wait. I don't know how long before seeds come up. I've got a tiny garden where I've tossed purslane seeds. Don't know what's coming up though. Seeds that I tossed last month, or seeds that I tossed earlier this month. They sure seem to take a long time though. You might try going to vacant lots or other places where "weeds" grow. If you find purlsane, and there are some black seeds, pull them off. Then scatter them wherever is convenient for you. I wouldn't eat anything from a place I didn't know was clean though.

I think you'll need roots if you plan on growing the plant that you got from the farmer's market. I really doubt they'll regrow from cuttings. Try it though.

They grow about a foot around and about 6 inches tall at their tallest, generally. That's the way it is around here anyway. There are several varieties that I see. All taste about the same. They also work well in green smoothies, for me anyway. They help make it smoother, and that's for sure. That's because they have so much mucous.

Troy.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Posted by: veganreikiangel ()
Date: July 19, 2009 11:05PM

Purslane is also one of the only (maybe THE only) plant sources of EPA....
Your body does make EPA (an essential fat) but its good to get it from an outside source too...so eat up! I also bought some purslane today to throw in my juicer!

Date: July 20, 2009 12:40PM

Thanks for the advice. I will see if we can get some of the seeds of the clippings and maybe pluck a clipping in the ground to see what happens. Can't hurt huh! I was so surprised at how awesome it tasted and how great the research says it is for you. Have a great day.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 20, 2009 10:16PM

Spinach! Y'all forgot Spinach! I love to put this fine leafy green in my smoothies.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables