Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Celery Leaves
Posted by: boysenberry ()
Date: July 25, 2009 10:05PM

I just read on another forum that celery leaves are toxic. Is that true? I have been breaking off the top of the stalks first in my smoothies because I like the flavor so much.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Celery Leaves
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 25, 2009 11:38PM

got this link within the first two of a search. google is your friend!

[aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu]

Date: July 26, 2009 12:50AM

Thanks, so that is one for toxic - and one for you can eat them. Almost like the flip of a coin.

Date: July 26, 2009 01:39AM

i don't know, i think the sciency site outweighs the opinion. only one way to test it out though, eat some on an empty stomach and see how you feel later on. i eat them all the time and nothing bad happens to me...

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 26, 2009 02:26AM

I used to cut the Leaves off, but now just juice
them along with the Ribs. Here lately I've been having
Celery Juice with a few Carrots juiced in for flavor.....WY

Date: July 26, 2009 05:00AM

It was Doug Graham on the VegSource 80-10-10 message board who said they were toxic. Someone asked because they had been told at a Raw Food Seminar that they were toxic, and he said they weren't good for you, but probably wouldn't kill you - or something to that effect. The question caught my eye because I had just bought a big thing of celery at a farmer's market and was all excited by all the leaves. I tend to tear off the tops of all the stalks with the leaves and blend them first and later in the week go for the bottom leftover stalks.

Date: July 26, 2009 05:38AM

I haven't seen any evidence at all that they are toxic in any way. not even a scrap. if something turns up in a search i'm all ears though...

Date: July 26, 2009 03:01PM

I'm confused why they would be toxic anyway!? I juice them a lot- to no ill effect!

This 'toxic' stuff is getting a bit out of hand. The focus comes away from fresh food and everyone is left doubting their own common sense.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: July 26, 2009 06:13PM

i agree suspended, i think practically all plants probably have something in them that could be thought of as *toxic* plants have defence mechanisms just like anything else.

there are sodium balancing properties of celery, celery leaves and seeds that are helpfull for people with joint problems and gout.

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: July 26, 2009 06:21PM

victoria boutenko had a great article a while back about balancing the natural toxins in plants via eating a great variety of them. can't find the link now but perhaps someone remembers it? a voice of reason about this subject.

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: July 26, 2009 10:18PM

tastes like parsley- if u think parsley is toxic...

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 27, 2009 09:51PM

I wouldnt know what part of a plant wanted to be toxic and what part didnt.
Its all the same cells in every part of it.
So I dont think any part of a plant is any more "toxic" than another.

Vinny

Date: July 27, 2009 10:59PM

well don't go eating any rhubarb leaves to test out that theory or it's goodbye vinny for good!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: July 28, 2009 02:46PM

Ahhhh!
Ok.
Thanks.

Vinny

Posted by: shyamashivaya ()
Date: December 17, 2011 11:47PM

The first time I stumbled on the idea that celery was toxic was in a Natural Hygiene book by Herbert Sheldon in 1978, He was a scientist so he probably was accurate. We may one day find out that the toxin in celery has a health benefit. For now I take the leaves off.

Posted by: vermontnl ()
Date: December 21, 2011 10:44PM

As Jgunn says all plants have substances to protect themselves. The carrot/parsley family has some strong chemicals mostly in the 2nd year plant, since they are biennials, likely to keep animals and pests away so they can go to seed. Parsley bolting I stay away from! Same with parsnip. And celery is good strong medicine. I love it and consume it. Other plants in the carrot family to stay away from as they can cause skin irritation, paralysis or death, and tend to have ill smell or taste, are poison hemlock, fool's parsley, water hemlock, cow-parsnip, and others.

Posted by: coconutcream ()
Date: December 24, 2011 05:34AM

Dehydrated celery leaves smell nice, soupy smell.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables