Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

vitamin talk
Posted by: intrstelr ()
Date: October 08, 2016 04:40PM

What is your view on b12? Vegans can get it from some plants such as certain seaweeds, ive read. Main source that meateaters get it from appears to be manure. Especially since meat is always so full of fecal matter. Do you really trust all of the studies about it, or do you think theyre mostly done on meat eaters, with assumption that meat is needed, relying on their levels for what is "correct". Does anyone really know the absolute correct level needed. Also, is it just a bacteria, is it really an actual vitamin? What is the true need for this bacteria? Also would like to hear about vitamin d. It's from the sun. Is a majority of america d deficient? How do we know the levels needed are correct? And why do meat eaters believe they need d from lanolin, from sheep wool, and also fortify milk with d, claiming that you need milk for the d. When it was artificially added. Just asking an open question, because oftentimes, medical studies branch out due to one initial study, that wasn't correct to begin with. They can keep it going for years and years. I'm not saying which studies I believe are correct or incorrect. There are billions of differing theories though. Hard to know what's right or wrong, but I definitely believe that people do not need to eat animals.

I purchased some b12 spray and d spray from my kind organics, just in case. Neither of which contain any animal products, certified vegan. The d is made from lichen, a certain lichen plant that produces levels of d. I do not take storebought supplements though, as I'm afraid to, they have so many ingredients. Before I became vegan, I had longterm illness for over 6 yrs, so my body is very sensitive to what I ingest. There are too many weird ingredients in vites though. Chromium for instance, I believe is the name. Comes from a highly toxic parent chemical. Iron levels in some supplements, I've read are at overdose level. Not sure if that's true or not. I am wary also of levels of copper, bc of stuff like heavy metal poisoning. Too much will store in the body as toxic overload. I began to eat Redmond clay several months ago. Love eating it, and it contains enough iron, calcium,magnesium, etc. Do you have a trustworthy supplement? What's your opinion on all this?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: vitamin talk
Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 08, 2016 08:27PM

I don't think B12 is a vegan issue, it's an environmental issue. B12 is a living bacteria which originates in soil but due to modern-day agriculture and environmental pollution the levels that would normally occur naturally have rapidly declined. Even livestock is given B12 supplements which technically means that many meat-eaters are also supplementing with B12, just through another body. Personally, I prefer to take my own B12, but chlorella can also improve B12 levels.

www.phytopanacea.com

Posted by: intrstelr ()
Date: October 09, 2016 06:34AM

Interesting. Especially since its a soil bacteria, there's no need to have to eat an animal to get b12, I agree. Or vitamin d that is produced from the sun. And its true that animals are fed all sorts of supplements, and they get their other vitamins from the plants they eat. I think there's much confuaion about proper levels needed because modern american food is so often fortified and enriched with artificial vitamins. I am still confused about if any fortified food or special vitamina are really necessary though.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 14, 2016 09:15AM

How does chlorella improve B-12 levels ? jtprindl, do you have an article on that? Very fascinating.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: October 14, 2016 04:09PM

You need B-12. I buy my b12 from Gabriel Cousen's recommended source on his website. I have an account with that company and get the full range of Bs that are all natural, non synthetic.

vitamin D is now plentiful via mushrooms grown with artifical UV light.
I hear many people test low for Vit D. That's why D supplements are so commonplace. Overdosing on D is a very unpleasant experience. I have seen it happen to the elderly when the doctors give them concentrated pills. That's why the mushrooms or mushroom powder is safer.

I saw the test results in one raw vegan man who sunbathed (almost naked) regularly. he was low in D. Some people have a hard time converting the D from the sun to usable D. His response? He thought he should sunbathe even more! He was already spending more time than most in the sun.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 04:17PM by Tai.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 14, 2016 06:30PM

la_veronique
How does chlorella improve B-12 levels ? jtprindl, do you have an article on that? Very fascinating.

Ask and you shall receive smiling smiley

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov] - Nutritional Supplementation with Chlorella pyrenoidosa Lowers Serum Methylmalonic Acid in Vegans and Vegetarians with a Suspected Vitamin B12 Deficiency

www.phytopanacea.com

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: October 15, 2016 10:15AM

"Algae and mushrooms not a full alternative for vitamin B12 supplements"

In theory vegans don't need supplements to maintain their vitamin B12 levels. Vitamin B12 is found in foods such as nori seaweed and shiitake mushrooms. But theory and practice are not the same thing, German researchers discovered when they studied vegans' blood for eight months. They published their findings in Clinical Laboratory.

[ergo-log.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/15/2016 10:16AM by RawPracticalist.

Date: October 17, 2016 12:00AM

Has anyone figured out if summplementation for vegans is recommended? I wonder if maybe cravings could be b12 or D because I always crave soy milk or creamy things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables