Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

is eating yeast required?
Posted by: intrstelr ()
Date: October 08, 2016 05:08PM

Why does everyone put yeast in bread, and why do people seem to think its required? I went without eating any for like a year, started eating it again several months ago because I eat bread sometimes. I stopped eating it BC I have longterm health issues and read how certain kinds can cause serious health problems and even death. Some people say eating yeast will not exacerbate any health problems, BC the kind normally in food sacharro-something, is not the same kind that grows in the body and can cause heart attacks. but some say that it can. Including the kind in alcohol. So what do you think? There was a kind sometimes added to chocolate processing, for fermentation. can't think of the name, but I saw that it has put people in the hospital?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: is eating yeast required?
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: October 14, 2016 03:56PM

Since you are on a raw food forum, people are not going to recommend yeast here.

The exception is that many raw vegans do use nutritional yeast, because it's grown to have high amounts of b vitamins. However that yeast has been heated/pasteurized, so it's no longer active. The older versions of vegetarian support formulas were grown with synthetic b vitamins, so it was ridiculous to use that yeast (simpler to use a pill). Now some yeast is grown with only naturally occuring b vitamins. Brewers yeast has of course been boiled and I think even concentrated and is rich in certain vitamins.

Some "raw" vegan kale chip companies use nutritional yeast as a cheesy like coating on the dried kale. The side note is that the yeast is pasteurized.

Most people in the health food crowd avoid bread because of gluten sensitivity. If bread has been baked, the yeast has been killed.
As for looking at bread as bad or good...it depends where you are on your health journey. If you were in Germany in the winter, and were deciding between sausage, french fries, roasted nuts,and that really dense dark bread, then bread is a health food.
If you have access to fresh produce, then bread is not a health food
If you were durianrider and had to choose between a bowl of rice puffs and a half pound of sugar, then yes, bread is better than his liquid refined sugar. (he harped on Lou Corona and Brian Clement for having supplements like digestive enzymes, but it's better to use enzymes with whole food than pure refined sugar. his use of sugar is SO bad.)
If you are suffering from any kind of brain issue, gluten is inflammatory.

In America, the bread that's the least unhealthy is the manna bread sold in the freezer section. it's not raw but only lightly heated and it's made of sprouted wheat.
Ezekiel bread contains sprouted grains and legumes.
The next on the list would be sourdough because souring breaks down some of the gluten.

Some raw vegans use sprouted wheat to make flat breads in the dehydrator, but you have to mix it with vegetables because it's too chewey otherwise.

Some raw vegans on this forum are against eating any grains period. Those raw vegans live in places where they have good produce year round.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/14/2016 03:59PM by Tai.

Posted by: jtprindl ()
Date: October 14, 2016 07:14PM

[www.therawfoodworld.com]

This is a truly unfortified nutritional yeast... nothing else. I contacted them about its nutritional information and it's a good source of vitamin B6 (480%), selenium (32%), zinc (21%), niacin (75%) and protein (8 grams). This is per 3 TBS serving.

www.phytopanacea.com

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: October 18, 2016 06:39PM

Thank you for the info on where we can get unfortified yeast. I have a relative who takes regular yeast every day and I think he would change over if I told him where he can get the unfortified version.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables