Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Mixing foods question
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 03, 2009 08:06PM

I've only been eating raw for two days, but I started trying to educate myself about it for a couple of weeks before making the big change! I have purchased several books and trying to read them and reading articles on the internet. One thing I've noticed is that some authors suggest that you don't mix foods, while other authors spend no time talking about that. By mixing foods, I mean, for example, one author claims you should NEVER eat fresh fruit with anything else. I'd like to know if many of you pay attention to these don't mix certain foods with others rules or if you pretty much put your meals together and don't get concerned about whether you are eating the right combinations of foods.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Mixing foods question
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 03, 2009 08:19PM

I have read books that say never to eat fruit with anything else.
I have personally never had any discomfort from doing so,but I now only eat fruit alone as to follow the advice that it will ferment thereby disrupting absorbtion of nutriets in the stomach.
Also,meat and starches should never be combined due to different stomach acids required for digestion.BUT,none of us will be eating meat unless we want it raw.

Vinny

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 03, 2009 08:26PM

IMO here are a couple of factors to consider when thinking about food combining:
1) Opinions are like noses - everyone got one and there all different.
2) Everybody is different so whats right for one maybe wrong for another.
That adds up to some experimentation needed on your part to see what works for you. Here's a site I like:
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]
Check out lesson #22.

Date: August 03, 2009 09:30PM

On some days I will probably eat about 75% raw and eat some cooked fish. Not sure I will be 100% raw 100% of the time -- I don't want to set myself up to fail. Thanks for the reply.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2009 09:59PM

I STRONGLY feel that people should please LISTEN TO WHAT NATURE IS SAYING!!!!!

Is eating two bananas and two apples bad? No! It's absolutely optimal!!!! (even though I normally eat my bananas or apples altogether).

Is SPLICING and DICING and MIXING and DEHYDRATING and SEPARATING OIL OUT and MIXING again bad?

YESSSSS!!!! Because it's going crazy with it and saying "it's still raw so it's fine".

Now the latter is still good raw food, but a monomeal of lightly steamed potatoes or something might actually be better if you go TOO crazy (remember the Russian "raw" woman with her oils and how she looks).

It's fine to experiment, just don't go crazy with the concept of raw.

Personally I have always ate mono meals of fruit as they always felt natural to me.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 03, 2009 10:01PM

Molli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> On some days I will probably eat about 75% raw and
> eat some cooked fish. Not sure I will be 100% raw
> 100% of the time -- I don't want to set myself up
> to fail. Thanks for the reply.

Cooked fish??? You probably don't want to say that around here... given as this is the raw *VEGAN* forum.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 04, 2009 02:33AM

Well, she isn't advocating meat-eating; it was just an aside to mention what she eats. It's okay if not everyone is vegan here; it's just how they talk, the manner they speak about the non-vegan products and if it's respectful or in line with the guidelines or not.

I think 75% raw is a great start. smiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 04, 2009 02:54AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 2) Everybody is different so whats right for one
> maybe wrong for another.
It would be more correct to say Everyone is
the same (physically...more or less), it's our Diets that
are different. There is one 'perfect diet' that everyone
can thrive on. I'm zeroing in on it. What are you doing?....WY

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: August 04, 2009 01:10PM

In my experience, fruits mixed with greens in a smoothie is great, giving you a lot of nutrition and energy. They are compatible as far as digestion goes. You don't want to mix fruit with fats, proteins or grains (although I throw some ground flax in my smoothies as well). Veggies can be mixed with fats, proteins or grains, but you do not want to mix fats, proteins or grains with each other either, for optimum digestion and assimilation. Fresh and whole are optimal but can be a little boring for a newbie, so definitely have fun experimenting. As you learn about your body and raw foods and get more into it, you will probably simplify your regimen. Listen to your body and your intuition, and learn all you can -- there is a wealth of information out there. Good luck, and welcome to the forum!!!

Date: August 04, 2009 03:48PM

Thanks everyone for providing your opinions. I think I will read up some more about what what not to combine, etc. Today is my 3rd day and I started the day with juicing a head of romaine lettuce, 2 small cucumbers, 1 lemon, 2 kiwi fruits and 1 pear. Its really tasty! I'm trying to be 100% raw until dinner and then et myself have something cooked if I want to. Last nite I didn't feel as though I wanted something cooked so I ate raw instead.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 04, 2009 11:10PM

sounds like a great plan Molli smiling smiley good luck with your journey!

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 05, 2009 05:31AM

Actually, superinfinity, is eating bananas with apples listening to nature?

Do bananas generally grow in the same places as apples?

Anyhow - I do eat bananas with apples, sometimes, processed with dates and cinnamon a la Doug Graham - yummy - but just thought I'd raise the point :-)

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 05, 2009 05:33AM

Molli, the only thing I'd be wary of is combining fruit with nuts, or with starchy foods (eg sweet potato).

This can cause terrific wind, and even pain. This is because the heavier food takes longer to digest and/or needs a different stomach environment (in terms of acidity/alkalinity) to digest, and, while it is being digested, the fruit, which would like to exit quickly, is held up. Cue fermentation, gas, blow-up!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables