Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Getting Off Zolft
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 07, 2009 02:32AM

My kids moved in with me finally today.
I have a 16 year old boy and a 13 year old boy.
My 16 year old takes Zolft and I want him off of it.
Their diet at moms was SAD complete with meat and cooked garbage.
Here it will be all RAW.
Can I just break the pills in half and like wean him off of the Zolft?
Or should I just contact the doctor and just tell him I want him off of it?
My X claims my 13 year old has ADHD. Well here in a week or so shell be shocked at how much calmer he will be simply by getting off the processed garbage and soda,candy etc!
Also I told them there will be no more "meal times" like moms.
They will eat when hungry and RAW only.And that they will not just eat up everything in sight because theyre board!
They are very happy about it!
My 16 year olds BMI is 31!
Hes in the obese range!
He is 5 foot 10 and weighs 225!
Hes excited to lose weight I told him in a week hell see a big difference and he will because I sure did when I went RAW! Within a week my pants were loose!
This is very exciting!
They believe me now that by eating a head of romaine that it DOES fill you up!
Same with 2 to 5 bananas, very filling!
Only thing is they will have visitation at their moms and Im sure shell feed them junk.
But thats ok its only every other weekend.
She told them good luck eating your dads stupid diet, lol!
Dads diet is THE BEST!
No cooked or processed food only plant based 100% RAW!
Rob

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/07/2009 02:40AM by roadrunner.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Getting Off Zolft
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 07, 2009 02:47AM

roadrunner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dads diet is THE BEST!
> No cooked or processed food only plant based 100%
> RAW!
Good Luck. I'd rather have my set of problems
than yours.....WY

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 07, 2009 02:55AM

Ok cool WY

Posted by: mmmveg ()
Date: August 07, 2009 03:29AM

Hey Rob,
Your kids are so lucky to have a dad like you. You are my hero!
I'm wishing you and your boys the very very best.
I got my fill of my mothers critisism a couple of weeks ago. For giving my kids the very best nutrition that I know of?
But I digress.....ho hum
I'm sending you good vibes!

Jennifer

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:01PM

Rob,

This is awesome and I wish the best for you and your little family. Talk to the doctor about weaning your child off Zoloft, but I'd say wait a bit for the raw foods to start clearing his metabolism. He will likely become more sensitive to the Zoloft, and will not need the same dosage, especially as his weight drops. This will prompt the doctor to agree that he maybe needs less, and to change the prescription. This way, your son will be gradually weaned off the medication naturally, because the doctor notices changes to his overall health, and without your having to get into debates about the diet, if there's a potential for that. Less stress all around! Good luck!

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 07, 2009 01:09PM

Rob,
I fully believe the zoloft can go out the window when your son gets enough raw food under his belt,which should require alot less notches in a few months.
Best wishes.

Vinny

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: August 08, 2009 02:08PM

Rob:

That is an awsome story. My perspective on it is as follows: People, especially your children, tend to do what they see you do, not necessarily what you tell them to do. By eating 100% raw yourself and representing living proof of the benefits, you will influence them more than by what you say to them.

Regarding the whole "depression" and "chemical imbalance" theory: I was VERY sad, especially in the evenings most of my life. I remember looking for an explanation or solution when I was a teenager. I wish I knew back then what I know now. I have never taken anything like Zoloft, so I'm not sure how it may aggravate or otherwise influence the situation, but I made a transition from refined foods to 100% raw, and the sadness went away as a result of it, but it was not a smooth or gradual process: The first few days, there was very little improvement. After about a week or two, I definitely felt better, but still far from good. Over the next few months, the sadness occasionally came back, sometimes it was quite severe for a day or two. It was pretty much like a "detox symptom." Eventually I ended up much more content and "happier" than ever before. At that point, I started experimenting, and I am now very confident in my opinion that this type of sadness (possibly what one would call "depression"winking smiley is caused by foods (in other words, a "chemical imbalance"winking smiley: 100% raw for several months, I was content and happy. Then I stuffed myself with pizza. The next day, I was feeling really sad, for no apparent reason, but back to 100% raw. The following day, it started getting better, and within about 4 days, I was back to "normal," blissful. I repeated the same experiment a few times, and it worked out the same way each time. I realize this might be a placebo effect. It MIGHT. That or it MIGHT actually be an indication of the true cause of that "chemical imbalance" the drug industry uses to advertise some of their best selling products.

If it were my son I'm trying to wean off one of those mind altering substances, I would probably ask the doctor who prescribed it, what the problems might be if someone quits the drug. Chances are the only danger would be suicide. Talk to your son; make sure he fells that he can talk to you whenever he feels like it; make sure he will talk to you before taking any suicidal action. If you feel comfortable with the situation, there would really be no reason to let the specter of suicide scare you or your son into continuing the addiction.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/08/2009 02:13PM by kleinphi.

Posted by: joewood ()
Date: August 10, 2009 10:08AM

Hi Rob,

I am weaning myself off of paxil. I was taking 30mgs a day but am now at 15mgs. I'm 53 & have been taking it for 11yrs. The problem with most serotonin uptake drugs is that they have what is referred to as an 'afterlife'. That is... when one tries to discontinue use they have really bad reactions. The drug cos. have gotten alot of flack about this but we know how impotent the FDA is. I will be going to 10mgs in Oct. My experience may not be like what your son's will be. Just know that this may be something that will take a little time. I pray your son will have an easier time than me.

Joe

Love is patient, love is kind, it is not self-seeking, love ALWAYS protects,always endures. (1corinthians 13)

God IS love!! (1john4)
Jesus Christ...... The ONLY way to Heaven.
I am the Way, the Truth & the Life..(John 14:6)

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 10, 2009 11:56AM

Awesome roadrunner!

I think Tamukha has given good advice.

Also, congrats joewood!

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 10, 2009 07:04PM

It makes me sick when people allow their children to become obese. It should be considered by the law in all States as a form of child abuse. I'm glad you have found a way to start making a difference in your children's lives, Maybe when they visit their mother you could pack some fresh fruit in their luggage!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables