Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Tea
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 12, 2009 11:29PM

Are there any nutrients gained when hot tea is drunk?Eg green tea. Does the heat do any other damage to your body?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tea
Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 13, 2009 12:44AM

i think a purist would say that the heat destroys the food properties with the tea so somthing like sun tea would be in accordance with that view.

if its too hot it would burn your mouth ...so with that in mind i would guess heat is ok.

me personally i am not a purist and would have no problem with drinking a cup of hot tea.

jj

Date: August 13, 2009 01:05AM

Thanks, I had never heard of sun tea! I did a search for it and came up with the following article: [www.snopes.com]

I think I might try out the recipe for cold tea at the bottom of it.

Date: August 13, 2009 01:18AM

Remember though that the liquids in your stomach aren't room temperature! Your stomach will have to warm it up if it's colder than the liquid already there. So lukewarm seems pretty reasonable, in fact I have boiled water hours ago for some green tea. I don't think green tea is processed much...

Date: August 13, 2009 03:17AM

That's true, it's more work for the body. But does it do any harm to the nutrients or the body? As long as you're getting enough energy in your diet for your body to exert itself to do this.
I heard it was a trick of models who have to stay thin for their work that they always drank very cold water so that their body would burn more energy. Don't know if this is actually true

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 13, 2009 04:21AM

Personally, I think that tea is bad for the body.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 13, 2009 01:38PM

Factoid,

The polyphenols in tea must be activated by heat, so in that sense, brewed tea is good for you. If it is overprocessed it may have fewer viable polyphenols, and if it is overbrewed it will release toxic tannins, so in these senses, tea is not good for you. If you wish to drink it, buy a form that is organic, fair trade picked and minimally processed, and let it cool after brewing so it's not taxing on you tummy : )

Date: August 13, 2009 06:21PM

Thanks Tamukha!
What temperature does the tea have to be to get activated? Is it boiling as is straight from the kettle or less?
Do you know if heat on its own is at all harmful for the body? I sometimes drink hot water (not boiling but a bit hotter than lukewarm) and I wonder if it is the healthiest thing to do. I heard the US soccer team drank tea/ heated beverages at half time/ quarter time etc as it was absorbed by the body faster. Don't know if this is true or not.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 13, 2009 11:59PM

Factoid,

Generally: black tea at 212 degrees F, & green and white teas at 180 degrees F. A liquid ought to be warm for your body to absorb it, as all things you consume must be heated to internal body temp in order to be properly digested. That's why drinking an ice-cold beverage can sometimes make you feel queasy.

Date: August 14, 2009 10:27AM

Thanks Tamukha smiling smiley

Date: August 15, 2009 04:41PM

Found some information on tea in regards to a raw diet here: [www.triedtastedserved.com]

It seems waiting until boiled water is around room temp before adding to tea leaves is the key. Remember hearing this as the general traditional way of drinking green tea

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables