Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Lycopene
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 14, 2009 12:30PM

Is it better to cook tomatoes with oil(a healthy one) than eat them raw? The lycopene becomes more readily available when cooked over raw.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lycopene
Date: August 14, 2009 12:34PM

well maybe nature does not intend such a high amount of lycopene as can be had via cooking. and perhaps it comes in conjunction with other factors, nutrients, enzymes, that affect it's absorption and utilization in the body that are damaged if heated.

thinking that we can improve on nature's original design is a foolish pursuit, imho.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 14, 2009 01:19PM

In cooking school we were taught that rupturing the cell membranes of the tomato through blending, etc., releases bioavailable lycopene. Please remember that clinical research is almost never conducted out of scientific curiosity, but in order to derive a product or contrive a procedure. When investigating nutrients, studies isolate them because that is how they or their adjuncts will be synthesized--isolated from the nutritional matrix of the plant as a whole. The goal is to sell people a pill, not a tomato. Researchers studying things like lycopene think in isolates because their work must result in isolates. We think natural because our lifestyles must result in what is natural : )

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 14, 2009 02:52PM

Does the lycopene level change with sun dried tomatoes?

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:45PM

This subject has come up before. Other posters have said several things regarding this:

1. More is not necessarily better. The absorbable amount of lycopene in raw tomato may be just peachy! winking smiley

2. There are many other sources of lycopene in raw fruits and vegetables. I think someone said there is more lycopene in watermelon than in tomato. Don't if that's but point is you can increase lycopene intake without eating cooked if you prefer. I think pink grapefruit and cantalope are pretty good sources as well. Best.

Paul

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 14, 2009 03:49PM

Factoid,

What few posts you have on this forum have to do with cooked foods. Is there any way the forum can support you with your raw foods exploration?

Date: August 14, 2009 04:10PM

Bryan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Factoid,
>
> What few posts you have on this forum have to do
> with cooked foods. Is there any way the forum can
> support you with your raw foods exploration?

Yes, by providing information it has on my queries. I would like to know the raw stand point.

Date: August 15, 2009 12:15AM

Factoid that's bullcrap.

This place is for DISCUSSION OF RAW FOOD, not a place for mainly people who like raw food to hang out and answer questions from people who want to hear their "side" of an argument.

Factoid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bryan Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Factoid,
> >
> > What few posts you have on this forum have to
> do
> > with cooked foods. Is there any way the forum
> can
> > support you with your raw foods exploration?
>
>
> Yes, by providing information it has on my
> queries. I would like to know the raw stand point.

Date: August 15, 2009 12:15AM

the best way to prove a theory is to try (and fail) to disprove it. that's a scientific standard. it's a good question i think.

and Tamukha, since you went to cooking school where are your uncooking photos missing from the pictures thread? hmmm?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 15, 2009 02:01PM

coco,

It is an odd thing, but I don't make prepared raw foods anymore; I just eat whole fruits and blended greens. Perhaps it will go with me as it is going with you--I'll suddenly develop a passion for making gourmet raw. If that happens, I shall surely post some pics, though nothing so spectacular as yours : )

SuperInfinity,

Why must you assume dastardly intentions of people? Note the difference between Bryan's response to the OP and yours: Bryan asks how the forums can help direct this individual to a better understanding of Raw, whereas you taunt and belittle them. A good ambassador you are not, dude.

Date: August 15, 2009 04:39PM

I've got some great help from this forum - espec from Tamukha!
coco - I like rigorously checking things out too

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 15, 2009 06:31PM

question everything believe nothing smiling smiley

welcome to the site Factoid smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: August 16, 2009 07:06AM

Hi Factoid

Tomatoes and lycopene are discussed in my article here.

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Hope it's of help.

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 17, 2009 10:46PM

discussed in the second part of this video (by the blond woman)
[www.rawguru.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables