Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

dried chickpease
Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 17, 2009 01:35PM

I watced this vido on how to make raw hummus. Can you take dried beans soak them and them and then make raw hummus? this is something I never knew I thought you would have to sprout them with seeds.

[www.youtube.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: dried chickpease
Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 17, 2009 03:14PM

If you soak/sprout the chickpeas, they they will become soft and you can make
hummus from them, yes.

However, be careful because raw beans are toxic. Check it out here: [www.living-foods.com]

The worst ones are red kidney beans and all its relatives (i.e. pinto). My friend tried to make tacos with raw pinto beans and he threw it up later that night. Now, chickpeas aren't as bad but raw hummus is notorious for giving one terrible gas. I would say, if you want to make it just don't eat a lot all at once. Its not as toxic as others, but its still toxic so you want to be careful. Or, if you're not 100% raw then sprout the beans them cook them just enough to kill the toxins - they don't require as much cooking after they are sprouted since they are already soft.

Date: August 17, 2009 03:47PM

Thanks for the info-

I knew about kidney beans but had no idea that the others would be dangours or toxic. I will also be careful of the gas. that could be bad for me really with UC.

Posted by: marissalynn ()
Date: August 17, 2009 04:13PM

Wow! I can't believe I read this today! I was super sick last night, throwing up and all that, and guess what I ate last night? A dip made out of soaked red beans. sad smiley Don't do it!!!

Raw hummus is pretty good though

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 17, 2009 04:57PM

ah, Maria, I feel for you. My friend was throwing up so hard that he shot a blood vessel in his eye.

There's actually a study out there somewhere where various sets of rats are fed different kinds of raw beans. Toxicity is measured by level of growth in the rats. Rats fed no raw beans were the biggest, rats fed some smaller kinds of raw beans like chickpeas were smaller, and rats fed pinto/red beans shrunk in size... so yeah other types aren't as bad but stay away from red ones!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2009 05:04PM by eecho.

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: August 17, 2009 05:44PM

Wow! I had no idea!!! Here's a good article:

[davesgarden.com]

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: August 17, 2009 05:59PM

marissalynn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow! I can't believe I read this today! I was
> super sick last night, throwing up and all that,
> and guess what I ate last night? A dip made out of
> soaked red beans. sad smiley Don't do it!!!
>
> Raw hummus is pretty good though

Im not surprised!.
They are incredibly toxic!
Hope you are feeling ok now.
You do have to cook red beans. They contain
Phytohaemagglutnin (Kidney Bean Lectin)
You soak them for at least 6 hours, pour away the soak water then boil rapidly in fresh water for at least 20 mins to be safe.

If you wish to make raw hummus, harvest the sprouts as soon as you see the white shoot bud. If you let the buds shoot too much then the chick peas will make very bitter horrible hummus. Raw hummus is delicious. Enjoy
ffx

Date: August 17, 2009 06:21PM

Im so glad i asked this question- maybe that is why my colon has been hurting Ive eaten alot of hummus Ive gone over the top as usal. Lunch dinner I have been having sprouted beans last week.

The Fruit Faery that puppy is so sweet.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 17, 2009 06:57PM

In Eating Without Heating by the Boutenkos they have a hummus recipe and it has sprouted chickpeas and a lot of other vegetables - I haven't seen the recipe for awhile so I don't remember how long they said to sprout the beans. I think I remember that the recipe was at least half other vegetables like tomatoes and carrots and that it also had ground-up sesame seeds. In the book they said that Sergei ate that recipe "every day for a year and never got tired of it".

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 17, 2009 08:05PM

hi hellokitty

u may just want to scrap the idea of using garbanzo beans for hummus
and just go with sunflower seeds

if u have a coffee grinder or a champion juicer or something like that
that grinds nuts

u pulverize it to a powder
add a little hemp oil ( or whatever oil u choose)
a little lemon
water

and you are good to go

u can also make different varieties

for parsley hummus
just chop up some parsley and put it in there

for a red peppery hummus
just chop up some sundried tomatoes and add it in

it takes about 5 minutes to make
and there isn't any of that bloating and hurting that goes from going the bean route

have fun
good luck

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables