Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Athletes and Raw Food
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2009 08:53AM

Hi there,

My name is Emma. I am from London, England and stand 6ft tall and i'm 19 years of age.

I have started raw food this week (100%). Eating all fruit, green veg, nuts, seeds (especially flax and almonds)

I am a rower and train twice a day, 6 times a week. I was wondering if there were any other athletes on here who could give me some advice as to how to keep muscle.

I know amino acids are found in nearly every thing in the raw food diet, but is there anything you do especially after weight training or power training etc.

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Athletes and Raw Food
Posted by: jericho sunfire ()
Date: August 20, 2009 11:59AM

Without seeing you in the flesh, I will take a guess and say that what you think is muscle is problem excess water/fat, once you go 100% raw for while you will lose this and your real muscle will be revealed....you will appear to have lost weight/muscle but you have simply lost the exceess from the cooked foods.

As far as retaining your "muscle" some people will tell you to stuff your belly full of food "calories" but this will simply delay any progress/rebuilding. Personally I say keep training, let the body go through it's process, don't interfere, wait it out and you will rebuild/fill out naturaly. Either way do what resonates with you.

Hope that helped.

JS

JERICHO SUNFIRE-BASIC TRAINING
www.jerichosunfire.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 12:03PM by jericho sunfire.

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 20, 2009 01:12PM

You might be interested in reading 80/10/10 by Doug Graham. That's the popular raw athlete book. However, it only works if you actually do the training, which is really intense.

I agree with JS about calories, some people are obsessed with them and are really just too afraid and/or not yet educated enough to but in the intense work which is their potential. But, I've skimmed through Douggy's book and it seems like a good starting point. I don't know if its the ultimate way to go but there are many success stories with it.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: August 20, 2009 01:13PM

I'd say for a serious athlete making a quick transition to raw, particularly in the heat of August, fluid and elecrtolyte balance would be first on my list. I would track (i.e. on nutritiondata.com) my old electrolyte intakes and compare to the new levels. The body does not always like sudden changes in chemical balance, and sodium is not stored for more than a day or so.

blessings

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: August 20, 2009 01:14PM

P.S. I would also say definately check out the "Jericho Sunfire" website if you want some information that will drop kick you in the face. He's crazy and has some bizarre methods, but its insightful.

Date: August 20, 2009 03:42PM

I'll take that as a compliment eecho, I don't use the site at this moment but I have these vids on youtube that may wet the appetite.

[www.youtube.com]
[www.youtube.com]

To the original poster. The main thing here is to follow your own intuition, you will get many different replies to your question but only you can do what is best and most comfortable for you. As I said, there will be changes and many people unfamiliar with the cleansing process will tell you that those changes are negative but your success depends on how positively you deal and interpret those changes for yourself.

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 20, 2009 03:47PM

Jericho,

The OP asked if there was anything we do, especially after weight training or power training. Prior to going raw 2.5 weeks ago, I made sure that I drank a protein drink. I haven't used any of my protein powder after going raw. Do you have any recommendations here for after weight training or power training? Right now, if I'm hungry I eat something. If I'm not hungry I don't eat anything. Is their a special raw protein source that you consume after a hard workout?

Date: August 20, 2009 04:44PM

Molli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jericho,
>
> The OP asked if there was anything we do,
> especially after weight training or power
> training. Prior to going raw 2.5 weeks ago, I
> made sure that I drank a protein drink. I haven't
> used any of my protein powder after going raw. Do
> you have any recommendations here for after weight
> training or power training? Right now, if I'm
> hungry I eat something. If I'm not hungry I don't
> eat anything. Is their a special raw protein
> source that you consume after a hard workout?

Me personally not at all, never have done.....but I'm the wrong person to ask because I would tell you that I didn't/don't need anything....period.

Far as I'm concerrned your doing the right thing and following your intuition...there's really no right or wrong unless your grossly overeating or force feeding yourself on raw foods. There's no secrets or special methods/rocket science to learn like some guru's will have you think, it's really very simple, you train hard/get active as far as diet goes,you pick up a fruit and eat it when your hungry and stop when your content, you do this till you feel your body wants to progress to lighter things. It simply boils down to submitting to your bodies needs and messeges instead of dictating what and when it gets what you or some stranger "thinks" it needs.

Good luck to ya Mollie and OP.

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 04:50PM by jericho sunfire.

Date: August 21, 2009 11:58AM

I visited London as a student in 1977 and went down to the water's edge and put my hands in the water down into the mud and pulled out a few pieces of flint. Do they have beaches where you can swim on the Thames?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 12:05PM by loeve.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 21, 2009 04:46PM

i wouldnt consider myself an athlete lol but before i work out , i juice some sweet fruit ... i dont like to have food sitting in my stomach while i work out i find it kind of nauseating. i find the fruit gives me enery for the workout

afterwards i have a green smoothie with lots of dark leafy greens (spinach or kale or romaine) i find the smoothie satisfying after a work out and as vegetables are my source of protein it seems appropriate thats what i crave afterwards smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 25, 2009 11:06PM

The whole foods and smoothies approach at snacks and post workout meals sounds ideal. At football camp in August we always had whole foods (oranges) during workouts then standard western diet fare after. Smoothies or "total juicing" would have been better.

"Improved protein balance
"Exercise stimulates protein synthesis but it also increases the rate of protein breakdown. Researchers at Maastricht University (The Netherlands) examined protein balance in endurance athletes during six hours of cycling/running(2). When carbohydrate was consumed at 30-minute intervals throughout exercise, protein balance remained in a negative state throughout exercise and during four hours of post-exercise recovery. However, when a mix of carbohydrate and protein was consumed during the exercise, protein synthesis was increased and protein breakdown was decreased, resulting in a positive protein balance during and following exercise (see figure 2). This study suggests that even with adequate carbohydrate consumption, endurance training can create a catabolic state for the muscles if protein intake is not adequate. So, consuming some protein along with your carbohydrates during/following long endurance events can improve your protein balance."

[www.pponline.co.uk]

Btw, I answered my own question about beaches and swimming on the Thames thanks to a BBC article. Sandy beaches were constructed in the 30's in London and were popular but have since mostly washed away due to the swift current. There is a movement to replenish them.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 09, 2009 05:20PM

Hi there

I've been Raw for 4 months. I've lost a lot of weight and am starting to get worried. Is there a way of getting carbs into my diet? If so, how?

Greg

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: September 09, 2009 08:35PM

eecho Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You might be interested in reading 80/10/10 by
> Doug Graham. That's the popular raw athlete book.
> However, it only works if you actually do the
> training, which is really intense.
>

What makes you say that? have you actually seen people fail at it while doing a reasonable amount of exercise? In your next paragraph you said you only skimmed the book. I'm fairly sure it can work for people who aren't superathletes..

I do highly recommend the book.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables