Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Do you talk about your raw diet with others?
Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:31PM

I've been talking about my change to a raw diet to 3 people so far. One of them has decided to start eating more fresh fruit. The other one told me yesterday that she is going to purchase a juicer now -- she is already reading about how cooking destroys the nutrients in food.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Do you talk about your raw diet with others?
Posted by: kwan ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:37PM

Sure I do-- but I only keep talking about it if they seem really interested. The best advertisement for the raw diet, I've found, is to serve really delicious raw food at a party or get-together. People get the concept much better if they see and taste it, rather than just hear about it. :-)
None of my friends locally are raw, however, and it's starting to get to me. I see a lot of them getting sick and having major problems. One is in the hospital having pancreatic surgery; another has high blood pressure, diabetes and glaucoma; another is on psych meds, and so on. I do my best to tell them how much raw diet can help; it doesn't always translate into the result I'd like. People are just so programmed to eat cooked food.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:40PM

i hear ya SHarrhan , all my friends are hitting the 40+ range and their problems are starting to show, its frustrating when i get shot down just giving suggestions so i dont talk about it anymore unless someone asks smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 20, 2009 04:40PM

I agree on the interest part. I've had a few people ask me about it when I've told them that I've switched to a raw diet, so I've been sharing info with them. The friend who is going to purchase a juicer eats a lot of almonds -- I opened up the topic with her by suggesting that she read up on the benefits of soaking her nuts first!!

Posted by: jericho sunfire ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:55PM

Depends on the situation. I would save your energy, I wouldn't say a thing until your done transitioning/detoxing and your rebuilt and vibrant. Unless you have great/supportive/understanding friends because you don't need people blaming everything that they deem as negative on the raw diet.

People won't take your word on how great the raw lifestyle is if your looking like a crack addict and are weak and exhuasted from cleansing, etc.

But that's just me.

JS

JERICHO SUNFIRE-BASIC TRAINING
www.jerichosunfire.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 04:59PM by jericho sunfire.

Posted by: RawLibrarian ()
Date: August 20, 2009 04:58PM

I agree with Jericho. My friends are quite supportive, but I don't make the way I eat a major topic of discussion.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:04PM

Ha,ha yeah...I have certain "supportive" friends that will give out a huge cheer of relief if I sat down to sunday dinner with them, ha,ha!

It's crazy, they used to stress me out because I could feel their energy....

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/20/2009 05:05PM by jericho sunfire.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:05PM

Jericho,

Perhaps its too soon for me to feel weak and exhausted cause I feel totally energized. I didn't feel poorly when I started raw 2.5 weeks ago. I have always been really healthy, even eating a SAD diet. But I wanted to do something better for my body and turned to raw.

One of my friends has noticed that I'm always carrying around fruit and asked about it. Thus, the conversation about raw started, and now she has decided to eat more fruit during the day.

Date: August 20, 2009 05:07PM

Molli Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Jericho,
>
> Perhaps its too soon for me to feel weak and
> exhausted cause I feel totally energized. I
> didn't feel poorly when I started raw 2.5 weeks
> ago. I have always been really healthy, even
> eating a SAD diet. But I wanted to do something
> better for my body and turned to raw.
>
> One of my friends has noticed that I'm always
> carrying around fruit and asked about it. Thus,
> the conversation about raw started, and now she
> has decided to eat more fruit during the day.

Cool, don't worry about it, you'll be fine, if anything comes at you then deal with it accordingly, keep enjoying your journey.

Be good

JS

www.jerichosunfire.com

Posted by: Hellokitty ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:08PM

I talk about this diet of cours. Ive seen nothing but desease come through the SAD diet. Heart problmes, ibs, ibd, strokes. all sorts,

You made the right decison for your body. if your healthy already then you will stay that way. I wish i new about this when i was 23 years old.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 20, 2009 05:13PM

Molli,

Yes. Absolutely. I don't force it. It just comes up. Vegan some people understand. Raw vegan virtually noone in my social circle understands. Yet, interest is high. Maybe because of George Clooney and the perception of trendiness. On the other hand, for anyone who has truely looked at raw food practioners and compared them even to other vegans or plant-based diet practioners, there is something that sets us apart. Two authors used the phrase "glow" and I think it's apt. It's looking younger (much younger) than the norm. And also the energy. Anecdotes aside, you look at David Wolfe, Matt Monarch, Brian Clement... etc. The best evidence could well be the practioners themselves. The Tao Te Ching has a great line "not putting on a show, (s)he shines". When people make a personal observation, no validation is necessary. Raw on. winking smiley

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 20, 2009 06:27PM

Just try not to come off as "holier than thou" or condescending about it.

Date: August 20, 2009 06:45PM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
> Just try not to come off as "holier than thou" or
> condescending about it.

I feel as though I've seen that attitude on the boards now and then. I'm in the excited stage of discovering raw -- its fun to share it with someone who is interested.

Methinks that someone who develops "holier than thou" attitudes has developed them about many aspects of his or her life, not just about the raw diet. Its an attitude about where they are in the food chain compared to others -- that attitude is not one that is endearing to me at all.

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: August 20, 2009 07:19PM

Many of my colleges know and think that i have lost the plot!
They found out through others, not by my telling them first hand.

I was quite diplomatic at first, but these days i don't even bother getting anywhere near a debate with them.

Upon reflexion, i would probably have kept it to myself, but it was difficult in the early days, when i was struggling with staying raw.

I had this stupid idea that if they knew, then they might understand and stop questioning me all of the time.
I always refuse hot drinks, chocolate, alcohol and invitations to eat all manner of other rubbish that is distributed around the workplace.

People comment on my clear eyes good skin, gentle manner etc. If overheard someone will often chip in with a comment about my diet being responsible.

This simply is not true. Its my whole lifestyle that's responsible.
Raw vegan plays a huge part but so does having enough rest, exercising, my meditation practice, yoga, dog walking, spending time in nature and working to keep stress levels low.

I recently told someone that i ate mainly fruit when they commented on the content of my shopping trolley. They looked at me in amazement and said
WHAT NO MEAT?!!!!!!!

I agree with jericho, save your energy until you are done with transitioning/detoxing and you are rebuilt and vibrant because you don't need people's unsupportive comments if you hit a challenging period.
Look after yourself and conserve your energy.
ffx

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: August 20, 2009 07:35PM

Yeah, if it comes up in passing. Of course significant people in my life, I talk about food all the time to, regardless if I was omni, vegan, raw, whatever. Just because I love food. Also talk about concern for animals, because that's something I'm interested in.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 20, 2009 10:22PM

SuperInfinity Wrote:
> Just try not to come off as "holier than thou" or
> condescending about it.

Physician heal thyself.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 21, 2009 12:12AM

I talk about my diet if the topic arises,and the most asked question is...you got it........"where do you get your protein"

Vinny

Posted by: NeonBee ()
Date: August 21, 2009 01:58AM

I have learned over the years not to say anything to anyone but let the observant take notice. I am not a vegetarian, I am not a raw foodist, I am not a vegan, I simply do not lock myself into a “higher than thou” label which most people associate stereotypes with. Most people, if you inform them of our dietary ways, will immediately judge you as being ego saturated and more superior than those around you. The less they know the better. Plus if you label yourself and you are not a purist then you are a hypocrite, so why start a problem before one even exists. Yes our eating method is interesting but most people do not have the will power, confidence, or the commitment associated with our path. Smiles, humility, and an occasional wink…… that's how I approach the topic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 02:02AM by NeonBee.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 21, 2009 03:24AM

I talk about it if someone asks, or if the conversation has to do with a very closely related issue. Otherwise, I barely talk about it at all.

That's one reason I love this forum!

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: August 21, 2009 10:34AM

suncloud Wrote:
> I talk about it if someone asks, or if the
> conversation has to do with a very closely related
> issue. Otherwise, I barely talk about it at all.
>
>
> That's one reason I love this forum!

suncloud, that is me exactly. Personally, it has caused more problems over the years than anything else when trying to discuss it. i have found that most folks have a preconceived idea that healthy eaters are "nut cases", so I figure why beat myself up over it.

If someone is genuinely interested in the concept, I will gladly share my thoughts. Otherwise, forget it - I don't need the hassle anymore...

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 21, 2009 11:27AM

I think some people are not really interested in their health until they lose it.
Before that they are not interested and they remind me of a cartoon I saw once. It was a picture of some pigs wallowing in a mud bath and the caption said "never try to teach a pig to sing -- it wastes your time and it annoys the pig". When people are ready to improve their health they will seek out information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/21/2009 11:33AM by EZ rider.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables