Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Questions
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 27, 2009 07:24AM

Hello!

Im new here and have a few questions that im sure have been asked before.Any help would be very much appreciated. Raw bars they sell online- any good if so can you recommend a brand? Pure water- is filtered tap ok..if not what is considered pure? Saled dressing, can someone post a simple (you can get the ingredients at the grocery store recipe for me) And nuts.. are they all raw like salted sunflower seeds, would i have to soak them to be raw? I think thats all for now. Im excited to be here, looking forward to knowing you all better. Thanks, Maci!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Questions
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 27, 2009 02:42PM

Hi Maci,
Welcome.
Water:I believe distilled is the purest you can purchase.
Dressing:Olive oil and lemon juice (fresh)
Nuts: as far as I know almonds have to be pasturized,but all else are raw.

Hope that helps.

Vinny

Date: August 27, 2009 06:53PM

Thanks!

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 27, 2009 07:01PM

"Buyer Beware" when it comes to buying raw nuts. It the seller dosn't say they are raw they probably arn't. By law the processor can call anything raw they want to so be careful of labels. For example: "Pepsi Raw" is not really raw in the way a raw foodist thinks of raw. Many processors pasteurize nuts and call them raw.

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: August 27, 2009 08:01PM

Love Force bars-These are my favorites because they're so big and dense compared to the average bar that they're more a filling snack or small meal. recommended flavors: Granola Cacao, Goji Lemon, Fig Ginger.

Gopal's Brownies-also a good size, not a chocolate substitute but good.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: August 28, 2009 01:44AM

EZ rider Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Buyer Beware" when it comes to buying raw nuts.
> It the seller dosn't say they are raw they
> probably arn't. By law the processor can call
> anything raw they want to so be careful of labels.
> For example: "Pepsi Raw" is not really raw in the
> way a raw foodist thinks of raw. Many processors
> pasteurize nuts and call them raw.

Boy i have alot to learn!

Posted by: marissalynn ()
Date: August 28, 2009 02:43AM

I use tap water filtered in a brita, and that's fine for me, but a lot of people recommend using distilled water which I'm pretty sure you can buy at the supermarket.

As for raw bars, I've tried two different kinds from the health food store and I didn't like either of them so I haven't included them in my diet. I just don't feel like they are needed and I can get the nutrients from nuts and dried fruit that I get myself.

For nuts, my mom got me some brazil nuts from the health food store and I think they are raw but I'm not sure. They're good though!

Date: August 29, 2009 10:36PM

Thanks!

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 29, 2009 11:29PM

Brazil nuts, cashew nuts, and almonds are often labeled "raw" in health food store bins, when they're not.

Each of them can be obtained raw though with some extra effort.

Please correct me anybody if the following is not all accurate:

Brazil nuts are boiled to make them easier to remove from the shell. So, I'd suggest buying brazil nuts in the shell. Unshelled brazil nuts can be ordered online, but maybe do a small order at a time. If they're old or rancid, you can return them. Brazil nuts are old when there's a hollow opening inside the nut.

Cashew nuts are usually labeled "truly raw", if they really are truly raw. These are more expensive and usually come prepackaged. There will often be a special description on the label of the raw method of shelling the cashews.

Almonds are required to be "pasteurized", with a chemical if not organic, and by heating if organic. But truly raw almonds can be legally obtained direct from the farm at a roadside stand. I don't buy raw almonds so others may know of an easier way to get truly raw almonds. The last time I checked, truly raw organic almonds were available online from Spain.

For best nutrition, sesame seeds should be purchased with the hulls. In other words, the brown sesame seeds should be purchased rather than the white ones.

I don't think I've ever bought sunflower seeds with salt, since going raw. No need for all that salt. I think most of the salted ones are roasted anyway (but not sure). Sunflower seeds are available raw in health food store bins that are raw, organic, and unsalted.

Raw nuts and seeds are raw whether you soak them or not. I like them both ways. Some people claim that soaked seeds are more digestible. Neither way is particularly digestible for me if I'm not exercising. If I am exercising, then either way is fine for me. Each of us may be a little different depending on a lot of other factors as well. You may need to experiment a little to see what works best for you.

I suggest always buying organic nuts and seeds. Nonorganic nuts and seeds have made me extremely ill a couple of times.

I think (but not sure) that many - if not nearly all - "raw" bars contain some of the above nuts/seeds that aren't truly raw. Personally, I don't think those bars are necessary at all. I've never tried one, but I've read the labels. For a treat, I'd rather eat a very small portion of some kind of delicious dried fruit. If a person likes the combo of a dried fruit with some kind of nut, try putting a walnut half or macadamia nut inside of a fresh date. Much better than any kind of prepackaged bar, I'll bet!

Congratulations on going raw!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables