Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Roger Haeske ?? Who has the right ideas??
Posted by: amanda1382903 ()
Date: August 08, 2006 03:42AM

Roger Haeske's site requires money to join, he claims to have the answers for the BEST way to eat raw...his theorie (which he says are the best) include high fruit low fat. I've read from other so called experts just the opposite. I am new to raw foods, and am very serious about going 100% raw very soon, but the more research I do, the more conflicting opinions of apparent experts I get. Anyone know who's who in raw foods and in your opinion, is it high or low fruit intake that is best? Also, I thought that a balanced diet was akways supperior . a little of everything rather than mostly this or that...Thanks, Im confused and wanting to understand how I can eat raw and meet all my nutrient requirements. any pointers are welcome, thank you!
amanda

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roger Haeske ?? Who has the right ideas??
Posted by: jono ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:22AM

Yes, a balanced diet is optimal for most people, me included.

I dont know who Mr Haeske is or any of the other big names tossed about on this site and elsewhere... nor do feel the need to know who they are. And I've been eating raw for about 3 years. I just know that eating raw is right. There's plenty of scientific reasons to support a raw diet, but if you just stand back and realize that every single animal (not fed by humans) on earth eats a raw diet... the act of cooking just seems strange.

Meeting nutrient requirements is probably more simplified on a raw diet because you're not worrying about artificial vitamins, damage to nutrients, etc.

For the macros - protein, carbs, and fat, everybody has their own unique balance. I dont count my ratios, but I try to get a balanced dose of each. Some people shun fat like the devil and go heavy on the carbs. I did that once and actually became disgusted at the thought of another piece of fruit.

The one vitamin raw vegans worry about the most is B12 because its only available from animal sources (milk, eggs, meat, etc). But there is also debate about vegan sources of B12 such as sea veggies and intestinal/bowel microflora. I dont worry about B12 because I drink raw milk.

My diet is based on the following - fruits, veggies, nuts, some seeds, buckwheat sprouts, and raw milk. I get most of my greens in the form of green smoothies. I also supplement with fish oil.

Don't base your diet on people selling books, or making you pay for information. You just have to experiment with different foods and find what's right for you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:55AM

Roger's an alright dude (I've met him) but no need to spend money to hear what he has to say, he'll just give you the Natural Hygiene spiel, bananas in massive quantities are good, more than a tiny bit of fat is bad, green juice is bad, spicy is bad, etc.

There is no one right way for everyone. Talk to folks on this forum and others. See what works for you. David Wolfe's new Sunfood Diet Success book is very good. smiling smiley

Posted by: rosie ()
Date: August 08, 2006 07:59AM

eat what your body tells you to eat, you will hear it when you are relaxed, moving and honestly living your life through joy.
Ok, Ok break down the sentence...
live your llife

that is after all, what the body, anybody wants to do. live!!

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 08, 2006 04:11PM

Yes, he's ok but I'm not going to pay anyone to tell me how to eat. Also, I'm not a natural hygienist and there are more issues with natural hygiene and health than a raw foods diet and health so I would not use a natural hygienist as my mentor. Just my preference.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 08, 2006 09:49PM

I agree with all of the above. Everyone is different. I personally eat about 12 servings of fruit (about the size of a medium apple type serving) to make sure I am getting enough calories and so that I won't get a "sweet tooth" for junky foods. Then I eat plenty of greens and sea veggies for vital minerals. I eat a little amount of fats. I am fairly new to this too, and I found you learn as you go. I am always at the co-op because I get a craving for a certain fruit (even if I have enough fruit at home). My body is telling me what I need. It is a cool thing. So don't worry about it. People on here are so cool at giving advice, too.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: August 08, 2006 11:09PM

amanda,

For the most part, just eat what feels good to you. If you eat mostly fruits and vegetables, and a small amounts of fats, you'll be pretty healthy. You can use a nutritional calculator like fitday or nutridiary to see if you are getting enough calories, enough vitamins and minerals, and to make sure your fat percentages are reasonable (say under 20% calories from fat).

The only thing about the nutritional calculators are their protein requirements are too high and the necesssity for B12 and zinc are based on a meat eating population. If your calories are all coming from fruits and vegetables, you will have enough protein and fat. If you are eating a variety of fruits and vegetables and are getting enough B vitamins (outside of B12) and you are healthy, your body can produce its own B12.

Posted by: ThomasLantern ()
Date: August 09, 2006 11:26PM

I, on the other hand, have a very high opinion of Natural Hygiene, based on my exposure to it.

Posted by: Jen Rose ()
Date: August 14, 2006 07:28PM

Yeah, there are a alot of different opinions because of the billions of different genetic makeups...every one's diet cannot be exactly the same, it depends on your constitution.

Jen Rose

"You must first unlearn the lies, and then you will have room for the truth"

Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 08:10PM

If he's saying he's got the best diet and advocating tons of bananas - maybe he means that the best diet for HIM. It may not be the best diet for you.

Your right diet depends on your body type, metabolism, activity level, season, etc. I personally feel best on a diet high in vegetables and leafy greens - and not so much fruit unless I'm in the sun or running or something.

Don't expect to get it right, right away - you'll probably have to do some experimentation to figure out what works for YOU.

Good luck!

Posted by: amanda1382903 ()
Date: August 14, 2006 11:26PM

Thanks a lot everyone. I am cruising through the end of my first week 100% raw vegan. Thats amazing for me! Its not even hard, it just feels good. I have about 6-7 fruit servings (some consumed in green smoothie form with 6 kale leaves) a handful of nuts, half an avo, and a wopper green salad everyday. YUM. At the beggining of the week I felt confused, like I needed an answer. Now I just trust the process.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 15, 2006 12:19AM

Great Amanda, keep up the good work.

If you need help always consult multiple sources.

Actually, you already are, the net is great for that. smiling smiley

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 15, 2006 02:56AM

Good for you, Amanda!

Sounds like you've already got the deal figured out!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: August 15, 2006 03:01AM

You are doing the right thing by listening to your body!

Gosia

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: rawmark ()
Date: August 17, 2006 08:07PM

Amanda,

Did you just go from SAD to RAW? If so, don't get hard on yourself if you slip. It's a very difficult journey that many folks fail because it's so extreme. Don't misunderstand me. I'm not trying to throw out negative. I want you to succeed. However, when one of my friends ask me about my raw diet I steer them towards veganism so that they can get used to eating a plant based diet. This way, when they make the transition to raw I can speak with them about power blenders, dehydrators, and all the other fun tools we raw fooders use.

Peace,

Marcos

Go Vegan for your life, your health, the planet and, most importantly, the animals that we share this wonderful world with!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables