Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

unripe watermelon sad smiley
Posted by: morgenjune ()
Date: September 19, 2009 09:03PM

So I have the worst luck picking out watermelons... The last one I grabbed was a nice bright dark green with a yellow belly and had that hollow sound when 'nocked' upon. But, when I cut it open it was the palest pink! No smell or flavor so im guessing very under-ripe sad smiley What should/can I do with it? Its been cut open so can I leave it on the counter to ripen more is that not a good idea?? And does any one have fool proof watermelon picking guidelines? Im fine with all other melons, just have the worst luck with the gig green ones!

nomnomnomnom...!

Re: unripe watermelon sad smiley
Posted by: pampam ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:02AM

some stores will take it back and give you a ripe one.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:29PM

Yes. I CAN tell you that it's probably better to get the occasional under-ripe one (which is usually still edible) rather than a mealy, over-ripe or out-of-season one.

To get a ripe one, you are looking for a bright creamy yellow patch where it lay for a while in the sun. You will look for a more woody stem. You will use your palm to test for very firm skin....but not rock hard...or yielding/mushy. Any as Pampam said, try to buy from a store that will allow you to return a bad melon. Here in Florida, any of the Publix stores will do so - as will most of the smaller fruit stands and markets. Just my experiences.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Prism ()
Date: September 21, 2009 01:07AM

Oh..that fruit looks too yummy..I want some. You can juice the watermelon if you want and add it to smoothies as a base so you aren't using too much of it at any one time.

Also, if you look for those brown scratchy marks that bugs make on watermelon..lots of times the bugs know when it's perfect..and that is one you might buy along with the light yellow underside, a nice vibrational sound you get when you slap it or knock on it. A heavy one as it has lots of water so it's not too mealy or over ripe. And stick with the old fashioned seeded watermelons as they taste better.

Love,
Prism

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables