Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Strawberry Juice
Posted by: Tai ()
Date: May 13, 2018 07:55PM

Strawberry juice is medicinal. I just found this out for myself.

Normally I buy luciously sun-ripened organic strawberries at the farmer's market and I eat them in fruit salads or plain. They are heavenly sweet when fully ripened. I never juiced them before. REcently I noticed some were on sale at the store for really low prices but they were not fully ripened like at the farmers market. I bought them anyway and I juiced them in the Jack Lalaine juicer. What I found is that there is not much pulp left from the juicing process, so very little is wasted. Also all the seeds are removed.
(In order not to waste food, I actually intended to eat the pulp with something sweet like jackfruit but when I saw all the seeds collected into the pulp, i changed my mind. It's just compost.)

The result? Strawberry puree-juice. The juice is very thick like a puree.

I had very ripe banana mashed already which I stirred the juice into. The strawberry juice makes my lymph nodes activate. Every swallow is a spoonful of medicine.

This whole concept that fruit must be fully ripe to eat is only partly true. Unripe fruit has the potential to be medicinal. Look at unripe papaya. They extract enzymes and make Thai green papaya salad. My friend used to a make a liver medicine with unripe apricots and special Chinese vinegar.

For me, this is a keeper. I will be juicing unripe strawberries from the grocery store from now on. Of course, you can always try to ripen fruit at a windowsill like unripe tomatoes. I did put some strawberries at a windowsill and they got riper. But when I buy strawberries from the farmer's market, I plan on eating those.

Strawberries should only be eaten if certified organic. The conventional uses some of the worst pesticides.

If something is heavily sprayed, it's not worth eating. It will cost so much money to detox that poison out of the body. Why save money on conventional when it will cost so much more in the end to deal with the poison in the body?
best to just not eat fresh berries if they aren't organic. The same for leafy greens, unless you can peel the outer layers off to throw away like with cabbage or iceberg lettuce.

Kiwis are similar to unripe strawberries. THey both activate the lymph nodes. And you can at least peel kiwis, if you can't get organic.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/13/2018 08:28PM by Tai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Strawberry Juice
Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 15, 2018 12:28AM

>If something is heavily sprayed, it's not worth eating. It will cost so much money to detox that poison out of the body. Why save money on conventional when it will cost so much more in the end to deal with the poison in the body?
best to just not eat fresh berries if they aren't organic. The same for leafy greens, unless you can peel the outer layers off to throw away like with cabbage or iceberg lettuce.

True but...

I love berries so I do not usually wait for the organics.
I buy what is fresh.
Strange but to me fresh is more important than organic.
Organic will be better but It will take to much effort to find where to get them.

So I eat my non organic fresh berries and drink my organic micro green and wheatgrass juices. It works.

Posted by: Tai ()
Date: May 15, 2018 05:42PM

Hi Raw P. pesticides are so destructive to the body. They wreak havoc that is so hard to cure. Please remove pesticides before eating. If it's not certified organic, it is almost guaranteed to have pesticides. The same is true for leafy greens.

[foodrevolution.org]

Do you usually wash your produce by rinsing it under cold, running water? Most people do.

This method works well to remove some of the pesticide residues from some forms of produce.

Scientists at the Connecticut Agricultural Experiment Station found that washing produce with running water reduced the amount of pesticide residue for 9 of the 12 tested pesticides.

So, running water can work, but what about using products called “produce cleaners?” Should you use them? Research has shown that most commercial produce cleaners are no more effective than plain water.

But several liquids have been shown to be more effective than plain water. Those are salt water, vinegar water, or baking soda water.

Washing Produce with Salt Water
Salt water is one of the easiest and most cost-effective ways to remove certain pesticides.

In a study published in Food Control, researchers washed vegetables for 20 minutes in vinegar, a salt water solution, or plain water to eliminate the residue of four common pesticides – chlorpyrifos, DDT, cypermethrin, and chlorothalonil.

They discovered that a 10% salt water solution was the most effective, and far more so than washing with plain water.

Full-strength vinegar was found to be equally as effective. But using vinegar would get quite expensive and would leave foods with an unwelcome vinegary flavor, making it less than ideal for a daily vegetable wash.

The Best Way to Wash Fruits and Vegetables
What may be the best way to clean fruits and veggies comes from a new study published in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. This study compared the effectiveness of plain water, a Clorox bleach solution, and a baking soda and water solution.

Perhaps surprisingly, the baking soda solution was found to be most effective at removing pesticide residues both on the surface and beneath the skin of apples.

The baking soda solution used in the study was very weak – a mix of only one ounce of baking soda mixed with 100 ounces of water. And it took 12 to 15 minutes of soaking to completely remove the pesticides.

something interesting about the power of baking soda:

[en.wikipedia.org]

During the Manhattan Project to develop the nuclear bomb in the early 1940s the chemical toxicity of uranium was an issue. It was found that uranium oxides stick very well to cotton cloth, and did not wash out with soap or laundry detergent. However, the uranium would wash out with a 2% solution of sodium bicarbonate. Clothing can become contaminated with toxic dust of depleted uranium (DU), which is very dense, and hence used for counterweights in a civilian context, and in armour-piercing projectiles. DU is not removed by normal laundering; washing with about 6 ounces (170 g) of baking soda in 2 gallons (7.5 l) of water will help to wash it out.[62]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/15/2018 05:49PM by Tai.

Posted by: RawPracticalist ()
Date: May 17, 2018 03:21PM

Good points Tai

I do wash the veggies with running water but need to do more.

I like the idea of using baking soda and vinegar. Will try it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables