Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

do frozen fruits have live enzymes?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 28, 2009 09:00PM

Can anyone give me a "definitive" answer about organic frozen fruit (and unblanched) vegetables? I use frozen fruit in my smoothies when fresh is not available, and always thought I was getting live enzymes?

What is the verdict on frozen fruit? enzymes or no enzymes?

Thanks for any help!
Jilli

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: do frozen fruits have live enzymes?
Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: September 28, 2009 11:19PM

i'm also interested whether frozen fruits are just as good. i like to freeze fruit before blending em up in my smoothies cause i like the texture..

Posted by: Annie_pie ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:15AM

My husband looked searched out the answer and concluded that they were the same frozen as not frozen. I don't know where he got his answer but thats what he said.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: September 29, 2009 01:54AM

I have taken digestive enzymes in the past in which they preferred if you froze them if you were not using them. The company said the enzymes are preserved in the cold temperature, but the problem comes in when the enzymes hit moisture. They said make sure the lid is on tight.

I don't know if moisture activates them? Fruits naturally have water in them, so I don't know how that would work.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: September 29, 2009 03:07AM

I think there is some, but not total, nutrient loss, and I don't have a percentage for you. I do think that something chilled in the freezer for 8 hours is better than something that has been in there for 3 months.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 29, 2009 04:01AM

Doesn't matter, the enzymes in food don't affect our digestion. That theory has been disproven. What is important are nutrients and those are affected by freezing. It's not optimal, if you can have it fresh that's always best, but frozen is close.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 29, 2009 11:57PM

My own experience is that freezing is fine for those not concerned with eating 100% raw. There is little nutrient loss - but freezing does crystallize water and burst cell walls...degrading the quality of the food. If it works for you, go for it.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: October 02, 2009 09:54PM

Coco,

Could you post a link to a resource that disproves enzymes in food do not effect our digestion? I'm not doubting you, I'd just like to read more about it.

One of the main "battle cries" of the Raw Food Experts are about the enzymes and digestion... it would be a little disturbing if it's totally not true sad smiley

Thanks
Bill

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: October 05, 2009 04:34PM

I read recently somewhere that according to research that was done, frozen fruits and vegetables actually have a lot more nutritients (and presumably enzymes) than dried fruits and vegetables. Coco is right about enzymes, though: they aren't as big a deal as was previously thought.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: October 07, 2009 10:31AM

we did an enzyme exp in ourbio class once. we froze the enzymes, and the enzymes were alive, only inactive. take that for what you will.

Posted by: DustyII ()
Date: October 24, 2015 04:38PM

How did you come to the conclusion that the enzymes were inactive. If they are alive, that must show movement. Did you supply enzymes with some work to do for digestion?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables