Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Too much cauliflower??
Posted by: Juno77 ()
Date: October 27, 2009 07:30PM

I have never been one for raw cauliflower, but I found a recipe online I wanted to try that was a cauliflower salad with an orange vinaigrette. I was so happy that I liked the way it taste. I ate the whole salad in one sitting which was about half of a cauliflower. I was making it in a rush cuz i was hungry and was trying to be quiet so my napping toddler was not disturbed, so I forgot to wash it. It was organic, but of course I still always wash my produce. All afternoon after, I felt this heaviness in my belly and last night I started having sharp pain in my tummy while I was trying to sleep. Now today I feel extremely nauseous, still having mild tummy pains. Could it be that I ate too much of it at once? I don't know much about it. I am hating life right now and the thought of ever eating cauliflower again makes me want to ....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Too much cauliflower??
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 27, 2009 10:51PM

Juno,

That's a lot of cauliflower in one sitting. Hope it moves along and you pace yourself next time : )

Date: October 28, 2009 01:28AM

so I take it then I am correct and that is not a veggie you can eat a lot of at one time?? I mean, I eat tons of zucchini all the time and it never bothers me, so I assume it cauliflower is just a heavier veggie I suppose. Ugh...I am finally feeling a little better.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: October 28, 2009 02:06AM

Starch(cauliflower) and acid(vinaigrette) is a bad food combination, meaning that this combination will sit in your stomach a long time without digesting.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 28, 2009 04:49AM

I've noticed cauliflower quite often gives me uncomfortable 'wind'!

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 28, 2009 05:19AM

A local farmer told me brassicas, in the fall, go through a process that converts more of their starches to sugars than other times of the year, which makes them extra tasty. >8)

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 28, 2009 12:36PM

The starch content in cauliflower is quite low, even prior to ripeness, but maybe Bryan's right. Maybe eat a smaller serving without acids and see what happens? All cruciferi tend to be tough on the human gut, because of the insoluble fiber and sulfers. Maybe have the smaller serving finely minced? I feel like experimenting . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 12:38PM by Tamukha.

Date: October 28, 2009 02:31PM

thanks you all. It certainly felt like it was sitting in my stomach a long time. I have not felt so bad in a loooong time. The thought of eating cauliflower today does not bother me, but the thought of eating that exact salad again does, so I will assume Bryan was right...and that I ate too much of it. Trying to fine tune what works for me with Raw and what does not can be a challenge sometimes. I love the days where it all flows smoothly and I feel such energy and joy.

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 02:37PM

I never liked raw cauliflower, but always loved it cooked (back in my "cooked days"winking smiley. I, too, could eat a whole steamed head in one sitting, without any problems afterward. I wonder if that has to do with the starch content and/or other chemical make-up of the product? I currently rarely ever eat it on my RAW diet because I never cared for it raw, so I never even thought about it. Wow! Very interesting.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: October 28, 2009 07:20PM

I read that if you are having gall bladder troubles you should not eat anything from the brassica family... and maybe if you don't have severe gb problems... eating too much can cause problems... just a thought...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 28, 2009 10:25PM

Anyone ever try to juice cauliflower?

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 31, 2009 10:16PM

just too much cauliflower

Posted by: jamielor ()
Date: November 01, 2009 04:54AM

I love raw cauliflower (can't say the same for raw broccoli) but it is very very gassy! I also juice it in small amounts as it is growing in abundance this time of year

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 04, 2009 03:13AM

Hi, I'd love to try the recipe anyway! Could I have it please? Thanks!

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: November 08, 2009 03:51AM

I hope its not food poisoning!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: November 08, 2009 10:02PM

hello Brian,

I read your response to this post and it seems to be the most likeliest reason that have caused what i suffered in the passing day. Without noticing the bad combination i added apple cider to rice, thus creating a mess, which made my belly feel really blown up. Like that pain you experience when you try to swallow something when you have a soar throat, that's what i felt if tried to eat something. That i wanted to eat but can't because i feel so full ( and it has been at least 6 hours since lunch which was salad).
I got a similar feeling when eating dates and dehydrated prunes without acoompaniying them with water ( but now i already know it's because of the fibers)

My question is, when i do these nutritional mistakes, how do i correct it ? how do i contradict this swallen up feeling? so i can eat peacefully and not feel it's not appropriate. i am 25 1.72 tall and i weigh 55 kilos, the last thing i would want is to skip meals. Do i just have to wait it out? drink a lot of water ( doesn't help too much)?
I don't have the capabilty to make a green juice or smoothie, which may help, so it makes the situation more challenging.

Of course i would really appreciate anyone's answer and i welcome you to please help me with this issue that i am sure have bothered not only me.

Thanks ahead,

Eric

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 10, 2009 01:27AM

Eric,
You could try eating some raw okra.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables