Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bananas and Tingling
Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: November 12, 2009 02:03AM

I'm trying to figure out what's going on. I've had to make some changes to try to find out what's going on. I found out by accident that when I don't eat bananas or watermelons, I don't get the tingling sensation in my feet when I'm bent over at the waist or standing straight up while looking straight down at my feet. I tilt my head up level and the feeling goes away. I notice that my feet cramp up occasionally either around 4-5 in the morning or after 7-8 hours of sleep.

I haven't eaten them for about 3 weeks now, and I notice the tingling and cramping symptoms are gone. If I went back to eating bananas, the tingling would come back after eating dinner. I think it happens with grapes as well. Is this pesticide/chemical related?

Something else that doesn't happen but once a year is when I'm doing hand work like working at the bike shop, handling tools for extended periods, the muscle in the hands that let you move the thumb would cramp up and lock the thumb next to my index finger, and I would have to pull on my thumb to get the muscle to relax. It hasn't happened in many months. This used to happen every other day.

I even asked my doctor about these things two years ago, and he said the tingling sensation was normal(!), and that I might be short calcium (bloodwork doesn't show that to be the case).

Lately, I've eaten some grapes, but mainly apples, oranges, grapefruit, strawberries if I can find it on sale.

Anyone know what this is about?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bananas and Tingling
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 12, 2009 02:38AM

My guess is chemical sensitivity, probably to a pesticide. If you really wanted to find out, you could research what classes of toxins are used with banana and grape crops(the banana ones are pretty dangerous, I recall reading somewhere), and have your doc do an allergy test for those. Truly, your body should have a hysterical immune response to poison, soooo . . . .

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: November 12, 2009 02:59AM

As an allergy nurse, I can confirm that your allergist won't be too eager to try to define what chemicals are used with bananas and other produce. Your best bet would be to find out what chemicals are commonly used on those produce ingredients and then ask him to order a blood test specifically FOR those chemicals. The test would be called a RAST test or CAP FEIA test. If you take those test names to him, he is more likely to listen to you and agree that you really DO know what you're talking about. =) You might also look for a naturpathic doctor who would be willing to order those tests for you. Insurance coverage might be an issue and the tests are NOT cheap.

You can also ask an allergist to specifically test you for the actual products - bananas, grapes, melons, and other fruits in question. Some allergists will only use manufactured serums for the testing, however, the best results are gained from testing the skin with the ACTUAL PRODUCT. This can be done carefully at home under strictly controlled environments and requirements:

1. You MUST be free from all Antihistamines (prescription, OTC) for at least 5-7 days prior to the testing. This includes most cold medications and OTC sleeping medications as well as all GERD medications. (GERD meds can interrupt the body's histamine reaction.)

2. Keep a strong antihistamine handy (preferably Benadryl) in the event of a severe adverse reaction to the test - either rash or systemic (Anaphylactic Shock).

3. Sterilize forearm with alcohol

4. Apply tiny portions of each product at least 2 inches apart from each other directly onto the bare skin.

5. Gently scratch each product into the skin with a separate STERILE needle for each product.

6. Wait 15 minutes and gently wipe off products with alcohol.

If the testing site(s) formed a hive of 5mm size or larger, there is definitely an allergy to that product.

NEVER EVER EVER do this alone and ALWAYS KEEP BENADRYL HANDY for large hive reactions and/or systemic reactions like trouble breathing or full-blown anaphylactic shock.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: November 12, 2009 03:13PM

Another possible cause could be the body's sodium-potassium balance. Maybe when you eliminate the high potassium banana the balance becomes more favorable. An easy experiment to try would be to add some food like celery to your diet to increase the natural sodium and give a boost to that side of the sodium-potassium pump [www.youtube.com] [en.wikipedia.org] . Another food you could experiment with is the young coconut as that would nutritionally supply both sides of the pump. Then latter after the sodium reserves are built up continue the experiment by re-introducing bananas back into your diet while listening to your body signals for information. Good luck.

Posted by: Krista1987 ()
Date: November 13, 2009 08:13PM

If you have a B12 deficincy you can get tingling as B12 helps the nervous system. Make sure you have enough B12!

Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: November 13, 2009 11:10PM

deafdrummer
Ever tried shiatsu?
You are describing symptoms that may easily be balanced by a professional shiatsu practitioner.
ffx

Posted by: deafdrummer ()
Date: November 14, 2009 02:42PM

The other thing I forgot is that my feet would swell in the evening, and then go back to normal by morning.

Like I said, the tingling, cramping, and the swelling is gone. It hasn't happened for three weeks.

Stephanie

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables