Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

best food to eat before bed?
Posted by: Catalpa ()
Date: November 17, 2009 10:29PM

Hi, I get hungry frequently, and sometimes it'll be time for bed but I can't fall asleep because I'm hungry! Maybe it doesn't have to be a lot of food, but enough to fill me up enough so I can fall asleep. What are the healthiest choices? I know eating before bed is bad but sometimes I have to choose between not sleeping at all and eating something late at night. suggestions?

also: I'd ideally like something a little protein-y like almond milk, but I'm living in another country right now with no access to a blender or juicer or fancy raw foods (but lots of fresh produce!)

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: best food to eat before bed?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 17, 2009 10:51PM

Hmmm....maybe a piece of fruit, since it digests fastest of any food?

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: November 18, 2009 01:21AM

i like watermelon at bedtime ..probably as above state its fast to digest but satisfying at the moment smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: eecho ()
Date: November 18, 2009 12:57PM

None!
Next best: juice
Next best: smoothie
Next best: juicy fruit

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 18, 2009 11:02PM

If you are hungry before bedtime, it is likely you haven't eaten enough during the day. I'd say try eating more food while the sun's still up over a few days, and see how it goes.

Date: November 19, 2009 12:12AM

Thanks everyone.. I guess juicy fruit/ juice is a good consensus!

Tamukha, I would, except I'm trying to take off some weight. I know it's ideal, especially for weight loss, not to eat anything 3 hours before bedtime, but it doesn't help me much if I wind up not being able to sleep till 4 am, with a busy day ahead of me. tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: November 19, 2009 06:02AM

Catalpa, I'm going to suggest that you are not actually hungry frequently, but you are subject to stomach sensations that you are incorrectly interpreting as hunger.

Please see this article:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: November 19, 2009 06:14AM

I really relate Catalpa, water and air help. I am hungry now, (it is early am and I should be sleeping)it's amazing that if you go to bed hungry, you wake up feeling full. Anyone else experience this?
I am trying to shift weight and eating too late is not going to help that cause. Unless I am diabetic, I am not going to die if I don't eat tonight. Like someone else suggested, eat more food in the day and see if that helps with satiety.

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: November 19, 2009 03:23PM

I have that happen too, when I go bed thinking I'm starving and wake up fine until the next meal. I personally think it's related to something missing in my life. I used to have to eat something before I went to bed too in order to sleep. I found veggies did the trick nicely. Then I realized I was just kind of lonely and eating to fill that void.

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: November 19, 2009 06:56PM

You are better off not eating before bedtime and finding something at lunch that removes that craving. Intermittant fasting, staying away from food over 17hours has great mental benefits and physical benefits in terms of weight loss.

[www.livingthecrway.com]

[www.amazon.com]

night eating is a loser. Best off , drop the habit. Do what you need to to do it.

Kref

best bets are whole fruits and vegetables at lunch with small amounts of nuts and seeds. Should do the trick.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/19/2009 06:58PM by Krefcenz.

Date: November 19, 2009 07:02PM

I would much rather not eat at night, but sometimes I literally cannot fall asleep without having a little something. Whether it's real hunger or not, it keeps me awake, and waiting till 4 or 5 am (like last night) to fall asleep doesn't help me do all the things I need to do the following day. I hope to be able to train myself out of this, but until then I need to get some sleep! smiling smiley

Date: November 19, 2009 07:11PM

Have you always had troubles sleeping? Or just since going raw? That's awlful and I'm sorry for your trouble.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 19, 2009 08:34PM

Catalpa,

Please remember that on high fruit and veg raw,for some people even gourmet raw, you need not starve yourself of calories to lose weight. Especially at the beginning, limiting amounts of good, raw, whole foods can screw up your appetite and sabotage your efforts. Be careful.

Date: November 20, 2009 01:36AM

I guess I've always had problems getting to sleep (sometimes I seem too wound up, and sometimes this is due to an empty stomach, which is too uncomfortable to fall asleep with), but not all that often. Once a month at least, and once a week at most. Not the worst problem in the universe. Melatonin helps a little, but the next day I'm kind of groggy, which I don't like.

Thanks, Tamukha, starving myself and being too strict does always lead to poor results (i.e. me stuffing myself with bread and honey or something else bad). I'm not actually overweight, technically speaking, but I know I'd be more comfortable with 10-15 pounds gone, and look better, too. smiling smiley

Date: November 20, 2009 01:10PM

Maybe taking some quiet time before bed would help. To just sit with you thoughts, maybe write out your feelings in a journal or about your day and really re-play that before you lay down. To just relax and breath, it helps me.

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: December 04, 2009 01:33AM

If I'm hungry at night I find a ripe banana is the best thing for me to eat. Plus they contain melatonin which can help you sleep.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:09AM

Everything I have read indicates it does not matter when you eat. I eat raw crackers, raw bread ect we dehydrate at 105* and I will eat raw almond butter on it with some raw milk. Very satisfying and helps with sleep~

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:10AM

Is there anything in your room that emits blue light? I have a computer in my room and I have to shut it down every night because blue light is the most penetrating and messes with the melatonin.

How much exercise do you get in? If your exercising, try and do it earlier in the day.

david

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables