Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

South African rawfood family looking to relocate...
Posted by: mrsula ()
Date: November 17, 2009 11:24PM

Hi - I'm a rawmom from S.Africa. My family and I are looking at possible places to go live and create a "new home". We own a 200acre farm here in South Africa, but our future in this country is not a very positive one. My country is slowly heading the same route as our neighbor Zimbabwe and most people here are too blinded to see.
We've traveled to the USA several times, also discovered a town in Ecuador called the 'Valley of Longevity', which seems to be a magnet at the moment for like-minded people. Unfortunately, the place is already infiltrated with 'gringo's' - (the actual mentality). We basically want to grow our own food, have a good water source, and soil rich in minerals. We are open to all suggestions across the globe. I'm interested to hear from rawfood friends who can make some valid recommendations, based on a rawfood lifestyle. I'm not interested in starting a eco-communityor being part of one, thanks!
Peace and wellness to you all!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: South African rawfood family looking to relocate...
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: November 18, 2009 12:53PM

mrsula Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...also
> discovered a town in Ecuador called the 'Valley of
> Longevity', which seems to be a magnet at the
> moment for like-minded people. Unfortunately, the
> place is already infiltrated with 'gringo's' -
> (the actual mentality)...

Hi mrsula,

Did you travel to Ecuador or going by other's experiences there? I've heard the Ecuadorian people are friendly towards foreigners and that the term 'gringo' is not pejorative there... though maybe you are referring to 'land grabbing'? I had a roommate once who was from Ecuador and my nephew had a girlfriend from there and he lived on a ranch and worked in Quito in cut flower exports for a while, and so I have positive associations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2009 01:06PM by loeve.

Date: November 18, 2009 05:12PM

> Did you travel to Ecuador or going by other's
> experiences there? I've heard the Ecuadorian
> people are friendly towards foreigners and that
> the term 'gringo' is not pejorative there...
> though maybe you are referring to 'land grabbing'?
> I had a roommate once who was from Ecuador and my
> nephew had a girlfriend from there and he lived on
> a ranch and worked in Quito in cut flower exports
> for a while, and so I have positive associations.

Hi loeve

I stayed in Ecuador for 3 months and I love the Ecuadorian people. Some of my best friends are Ecuadorian locals. I was referring to 'land grabbing' yes. My associations with Ecuadorians are positive. My personal experience and observation with 'gringo mentalities' are negative. A gringo in Ecuador can be interpreted in many different ways. Often a greedy, selfish person is dubbed a gringo by peace-loving individuals. When you go and live in a community where 1st world bribes and greed are manifested, you too will feel sad!
Peace!

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 18, 2009 05:37PM

My husband and I emigrated from the US to New Zealand 10 years ago and absolutely love it here. The climate and culture were the two main reasons for our choice. We know several people who emigrated from South Africa to NZ. All have been here for many years.

Where I live in the Bay of Plenty on the North Island, the climate is very mild - never really hot (never in the 90's Farenheit) and never really cold (never snows). Nearness to the coast, altitude, latitude, etc. are factors that combine to create climatic regions and micro-climates. For example, the Otago region on the South Island gets much colder and much hotter than where I live on the North Island. You could investigate the Waikato region, the Hawkes Bay region, there are lots of different places/regions, but someone who knows more about the type of farming you were wanting to do could help you know where to look.

The soil lacks selenium, but Brazil nuts do the trick.

As to finding like-minded people here, you're more likely to find that near an urban centre. On different sites I have noticed that are raw fooders on Waiheke Island and in Christchurch, but I haven't met any near where I live. Also, although New Zealanders are accepting, they tend to think vegetarians are already pretty far out there.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: November 20, 2009 12:20PM

Thanks, mrsula for the reply. The expression 'gringo mentality' was new to me and so please forgive me if I sounded defensive. I can appreciate the many ways that the term 'gringo' may be used. Ecuador is famous for the Galapagos Islands and then there's the rain forest areas where some of the locals live and farm. I can see how there would be resentment towards outsiders coming in if they abuse the system and have a 'slash and burn' for profit mentality.

I live in the north where the growing season is short and winters long and rely on imports, and wish you the very best.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: November 21, 2009 08:57PM

I can suggest Andalusia in the South of Spain. The climate is very good, and there is still plenty of quiet valleys with low density of population.
We live there, in a valley near the sea, but far enough to keep away from the coast craziness (about 45 minutes drive in the mountain). This is not part of the industrial agriculture part of Spain. It remains a relatively poor and isolated part due to the mountains and the deep valleys.
Also, it's not a dry part of Spain, especially in this valley. All the region is on limestone land, except in this valley which is on green serpentine and retains water, even during the long drought that occurred in the past. And you have some small family size farms along the rivers.
But of course, it's not a tropical climate. Even if there is a small part of Andalusia nearby that has a tropical like climate where cherimoyas and mangoes grow well. Still we get avocados here, and occasional cherimoyas...

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: November 21, 2009 09:43PM

Dear friends,

Thank you for your kind replies to my post.

Loeve: Interesting that you mention you are located up north. We lived in VT, northeast for over 2 years and I know exactly what you mean by a short growing season.....those imports are not cheap. I did a lot of sprouting, and it helped me get through those dreadful grey days. The one good thing about South Africa is the cost of fresh goods, but the organic practices are somehow questionable. I source most of my produce directly from certified organic farmers.
To give you an idea of prices compared to the north at current exchange rate.
2 pounds organic apples: 4 ZAR (50 cents USD)
one avocado: 9 ZAR (1.20 USD)
2 pounds organic almonds: 65 ZAR (8.50 USD)
Now for the EXPENSIVE part - Vitamix latest: 988 USD, Ezidry dehydrator: 370 USD
Equipment, appliances are over the top expensive. I have to source my fruit, nuts, I grow most greens, veggies. Pure water sources are hard to find. I buy water or distill tap water. We grow indigenous medicinal herbs, country taxes it, and makes it a living hell to export.
I'm looking into sgc's suggestion for Andalusia. My husband's been talking about Spain / Portugal. Thank you for your suggestions.

Date: November 22, 2009 08:10AM

If you look into Andalusia, look for "valle del Genal", The Genal is a river, and its valley and direct surrounding are "water safer" than the rest of Spain.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: November 22, 2009 01:33PM

Oh wow, Vermont you say, our family vacations were on a lake in Hardwick. My aunt's family is in St. Johnsbury where they make maple syrup and my cousin's in Wheelock where they are organic farmers and work the farmer's market, also with pies and preserves.

I'm also into herbs and gather them almost daily. "The herbs shall be yours for food". I love them.

SGC, I've watched a couple of your youtube videos and admire the post and beam house you are building. And I didn't know learning to walk could be so much fun (the one with your lovely wife and child in the play pen). Thanks!

Date: November 22, 2009 06:39PM

loeve Wrote:
> SGC, I've watched a couple of your youtube videos
> and admire the post and beam house you are
> building. And I didn't know learning to walk
> could be so much fun (the one with your lovely
> wife and child in the play pen). Thanks!

Thanks
It's like everything is fun for our son Moya. He is laughing most of the time, maybe too much fruit ;-)

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: November 23, 2009 09:37AM

my parents live in costa rica. when i visit them it is AWESOME for raw foods!

places i have been to that are really awesome for food i have found are greece and cyprus. YUM!! =)

Date: November 23, 2009 03:12PM

sgc: THANK YOU! I love your place and your movies. Try to make them a little longer next time. I enjoy watching it.

loeve: VT is beautiful, but so cold. It is so GREEN. All the seasons are unique in their own smell, sight and sound. Every month there is like a new season!

ilovejen: Costa Rica - now you're talking! I love that place. We spent time there last year for 2 months. Mostly traveling the north and central parts between Arenal and Tamarindo. The problem with CR is it's very expensive to live there. It's one of those places already discovered by developers / resorts etc.... but it is an absolutely beautiful country you're right.

Posted by: VeganLife ()
Date: February 15, 2010 02:49PM

South Africa becoming like Zimbabwe? How is that possible? SO many strides in human rights have been made, I would think South Africa is becoming more and more of a "modern" country.

Posted by: EricJohannes ()
Date: February 15, 2010 10:11PM

VeganLife Wrote:
> South Africa becoming like Zimbabwe? How is that
> possible? SO many strides in human rights have
> been made, I would think South Africa is becoming
> more and more of a "modern" country.

Are you being sarcastic?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: March 29, 2010 06:07PM

This might help you, VeganLife, to believe that things really HAVE changed in South Africa. Whether you think it's better or worse, that is up to you to research & decide.

[blogs.reuters.com]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 12, 2010 12:12AM

I keep hearing about white owned farms in south Africa being burned and the farmers being murdered. Is this why you want to leave?

Date: April 12, 2010 08:54PM

costa rica- where i saw the biggest cherimoya i'll probably ever see in my life!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: April 13, 2010 07:12AM

funnily enough I was having this conversation with a friend yesterday - dreaming only though as my partner will never leave this blighted little isle.
She recommended Costa rica and Hawaii.
What about Thailand, Cambodia - places like that?

Posted by: tdquigley ()
Date: April 13, 2010 06:43PM

Maybe think about Australia? There is a large South African population in Australia and there are plenty of places (and space!) on the north eastern coast that would be perfect for a raw family; plenty of locally grown fruit and veg, lots of sun etc.
Alternatively, I hear Hawaii is great. I'ver never been but there is a large raw community there.

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: April 24, 2010 02:48AM

Hi mrsula,
I am thinking of moving to South Africa and am wondering why you are leaving? I was there 10 years ago and although it has its challenging aspects, I found it very beautiful and vibrant. I was not a raw foodie back then yet have fond memories of the abundance of fresh cheap food (I wasn't into organic then either). I was thinking of Cape Town or Jo'berg as a place to start. Can you give me any pointers there?
Bless

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables