Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamin D question?
Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: November 24, 2009 03:18PM

Hi everyone. I have a question about vitamin D. Now with how late it is in the year, its getting to cold to go outside here with bare skin. I was thinking I should sit in my large living room window with no shirt on, and let the sun hit my skin. I thought I remembered hearing the ultraviolet light doesn't pass through windows. I dont know if this is dumb question or not... though someone here probably knows.
Is it ultraviolet light that is required for vit-D

Does anyone know if the sunlight still makes vitamin d when it hits your bare skin after passing through a window
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin D question?
Posted by: ScubaSteve ()
Date: November 25, 2009 01:10PM

I am not 100% sure but if the window is low E glass or contains argon gas it is may be less likely to produce the benefits you are looking for.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: November 27, 2009 12:22AM

great question!! Not dumb at all.. I was just wondering that myself actually... I leave my water in glass jars on the windowsill in the sunshine, and I was just wondering how the glass would affect that.. in fact maybe I'll start a thread bout that... smiling smiley

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2009 05:09AM

Hello,
Debbietook provided a link on fat soluble vitamins which addressed this question.
[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

"Whereas the UVB rays enable our bodies to make vitamin D, UVA rays break down the D we've just formed. Glass blocks UVB, so if we come out of the summer sun, then spend time in a room (or in a car) where the sun's shining through a window rather than directly on us, we're getting lots of UVA, but not UVB. Net effect - reduction of vitamin D. "

Posted by: Helen ()
Date: November 27, 2009 08:27AM

I heard that almost everyone living north of Rome has some vitamin d deficiency. I am thinking of supplementing in the winter, because vitamin d is also important for losing weight. But I read that too much of this vitamin is harmful, too.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: November 27, 2009 10:08AM

'I heard that almost everyone living north of Rome has some vitamin d deficiency.'

Absolutely untrue - there is no problem with getting enough Vit d all the year round in the UK

Posted by: Ariel55 ()
Date: November 29, 2009 05:56PM

I'm am a bit suspicious that suddenly in recent times we needs 1000s of units of vitamin d supplement daily whereas we survived for millions of years before without. I think the whole idea of nutritional supplementation came from pharmaceutical companies too. Maybe some people do get deficient, but I'm suspicious.

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:43AM

I read that Washington state has the highest risk for both MS and skin cancer with individulas testing at very low levels for Vit D. My thoughts are that we simply dont work outdoors or even play outdoors like did years ago hence...the lack of Vit D

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: December 14, 2009 09:31PM

what about a minimal amount of tanning? strictly controlled

david

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 15, 2009 02:34AM

Yogi33,
I live in Bellingham, where do you live? I go for walks almost everyday. I haven't had my blood levels checked, but it would be interesting to see where they are. The outdoors is the best thing about Northern Washington, although sometimes its not always ideal for an outdoor experience for most people here. I am surprised at what a narrow range of conditions the locals need for going outdoors....

exactly: sun, 70 degrees (no more or no less)no wind at all, no rain,(and dried out) no snow, no fog, must be a weekend or holiday,

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables