Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: 42-year old Roger Haeske looks 20 on 80/10/10
Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: March 01, 2010 04:43AM

I actually came across a Facebook ad, I think it was, that said "42-year old looks 20!" and it was a link to someone selling something. The guy obviously doesn't look 20. He looks every bit of 42. He just looks GOOD for 42.

What I'd like to know, and I'm sure I already know the answer.... how long has he been on 80/10/10? I'm willing to bet he's a complete newbie (less than a few years) and hasn't run into the long-term problems yet. Or maybe he can defy them. Who knows. Didn't happen for me, but that's not to say the diet can't work long-term for someone else.

Best,
Mark

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 03, 2010 06:35PM

Human beings never cease to amaze me. It would appear that some raw vegans eat meat, they just prefer the flesh of human beings they've never met winking smiley

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 04, 2010 06:20AM

RawRonda, I can't be the only one that doesn't understand your post. Could you clarify what you mean? Thanks!

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 04, 2010 03:46PM

I'm assuming the reference is to people who make verbal attacks about people they don't know and haven't met.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2010 04:57PM

Yeah, what flipper said winking smiley

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 04, 2010 05:44PM

marksquire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I actually came across a Facebook ad, I think it
> was, that said "42-year old looks 20!" and it was
> a link to someone selling something. The guy
> obviously doesn't look 20. He looks every bit of
> 42. He just looks GOOD for 42.
>
> What I'd like to know, and I'm sure I already know
> the answer.... how long has he been on 80/10/10?
> I'm willing to bet he's a complete newbie (less
> than a few years) and hasn't run into the
> long-term problems yet. Or maybe he can defy
> them. Who knows. Didn't happen for me, but
> that's not to say the diet can't work long-term
> for someone else.

Hi Mark,
Roger Haeske may check in again and tell us a little more about himself, but in the mean time the OP's link leads to Haeske's story about how and when he got into raw foods--

"Eleven years later at 40 years of age (almost 41) I still don't have arthritis and I look more like I'm 20 than 40. I can do anything I was able to do as a teenager. Life is a miracle for me now."

[rogerhaeske.com]

He says he healed himself on 50% raw foods, and found more and more benefits till he reached 100%.

hope this helps

Oh, he does look "GOOD" at 40, for sure. I agree with you. If you read more you'll find he's open to B12 supplements and whatever it takes according to each individual.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 04, 2010 07:27PM

i think proper variation of food is probably critical for long term 100% raw or close to it. That way you will minimize chances of deficiencys causing hair loss etc.

he looks very fit for his age, just not 20 id say.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 04, 2010 08:30PM

powerlifer,

Are you speaking from your personal experience of being 100% raw, or is this just something you think is true? Are you currently 100% raw?

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 04, 2010 10:41PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> i think proper variation of food is probably
> critical for long term 100% raw or close to it.

I'm 100% raw foods, and I agree with this statement from powerlifer. It's certainly proven true in my own case.

Are there any people on this forum who eat 100% raw foods who don't eat a variety of raw foods? I'm not aware of any at this time.

I think it's fair to note that many people here have opinions, but they don't eat 100% raw foods.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 10:55PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 04, 2010 11:00PM

Who is to say what "20" looks like? It's so different for everyone.

Date: March 04, 2010 11:04PM

Just to clarify (since edit time has passed), I think everyone is entitled to an opinion, whether they are 100% raw foods or not. It's very possible that most people here are not 100% raw foods.

Prana, since you have asked me, and now you've asked powerlifer, how about you? How long have you been 100% raw without eating anything at all cooked? What variety of raw foods have you eaten during that time? Didn't you say that you occasionally eat "gourmet" raw foods?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 11:14PM by suncloud.

Date: March 05, 2010 02:20AM

I've been 100% raw vegan for over 8 years. I don't eat a lot of variety from day to day. But I eat seasonally, so that means what I eat now is not going to be what I eat in the summer or the fall.

I make zero effort to eat a variety. However, when I was eating cooked foods, I could eat the same meal 2 weeks in a row. I buy my foods in cases which means 38 to 40 pounds at a time of oranges or bananas. So I eat a lot of the same food. Over and over.

One thing though, which is a fruit will be in season for 4-6 weeks or so. That mean while I am enjoying navels right now, in a month I won't have the same option to enjoy them as they will either be expensive or not tasting good or not available.

And I eat some raw restaurant food when I am in the city, which most years I go 4 to 6 weekends a year to San Francisco (its a 4 hour drive for me). This year it was more, because I had more business down there. But I enjoy this food for its entertainment value, rather than trying to achieve any kind of variety. And I have fun with it.

I have never met anyone who had a problem with not getting enough variety. But I live in California, and it is easier to be raw here than in most parts of the world, perhaps even easier than in the tropics. Easier because we have great produce here, lots of organics, and there are more people doing raw here than in most places.

What if it were not about getting variety, but letting your body tell you what it wants? If you see a food that your body and stomach desires in the produce aisle, then go ahead and buy and eat it. Not because you have a rule to follow, which is that variety is necessary, but because the food in front of you was appealing and your body was asking for it.

I am not following the variety rule and I am 100% raw and I have excellent health. I don't follow a lot of the standard raw vegan "rules", like getting B12 supplementation or getting probiotics from sauerkraut or whatever. I eat what I want to eat when I want to eat it (no daylight rule for me), and I seem to be doing just fine. While I like organics, I have no rule about it, and I eat based on what tastes good to me and makes me feel good.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 05, 2010 03:39AM

Prana,
Its been a number of years, so I won't fault you if your memory on this isn't so great. Did I have lunch with you in SF? I had lunch with someone who reminds me so much of you. Our discussion at the meal was around science, and its faults, and how so many traditional cultures were not scientific, and that was a good thing. He was pursuing education at an alternative university. Was that you?

Date: March 05, 2010 04:03AM

Prana Wrote:
>
> What if it were not about getting variety, but
> letting your body tell you what it wants? If you
> see a food that your body and stomach desires in
> the produce aisle, then go ahead and buy and eat
> it. Not because you have a rule to follow, which
> is that variety is necessary, but because the food
> in front of you was appealing and your body was
> asking for it.

I agree completely.

To me, no rules means no restrictions, as long as the food is raw vegan and makes me feel good.

What kind of stuff do you eat at the raw restaurants? Do you drink hot tea?

Date: March 05, 2010 04:42AM

I usually get a salad, raw soup (I like cream of celery root), perhaps a nori wrap. I usually avoid the nut heavy entrees, though I will eat the raw desserts, which are nut heavy. My favorite raw dessert is a candy cap mushroom cheesecake. When I am in the city I notice I want denser foods to block out all the city energies.

Over the last 8 years, I have had a few teas (perhaps 1 or 2 a year average). I am not crazy about them, but if I'm at a cafe with friends, I'll order one.

Posted by: adrian ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:02AM

hi prana....it makes me feel better to know others feel that city energy too. when i'm eating cooked foods i don't even notice it. when raw, i find it very difficult living here, this was part of where i fell off of raw years ago...

Date: March 05, 2010 05:03AM

Thanks for the info. I think a lot of people like the denser raw foods occasionally, and I think that's fine.

Date: March 05, 2010 06:58AM

It sounds lovely to live in California

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 05, 2010 09:18AM

When we go raw we need to worry far less (if at all) about getting a 'variety' of foods.

My reasons explained in article here:

[debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com]

(BTW, having holidayed in Southern California...California is a paradise for the raw fooder. Anyone in California who doubts that - come to Reading, UK.)

Date: March 05, 2010 12:17PM

'
(BTW, having holidayed in Southern California...California is a paradise for the raw fooder. Anyone in California who doubts that - come to Reading, UK.)'

hear hear - or Devon UK!!

Date: March 05, 2010 07:58PM

debbietook Wrote:
> When we go raw we need to worry far less (if at
> all) about getting a 'variety' of foods.

I'm not sure how far we could go with that, since most people don't thrive on only one type of food.

But I do agree that there's no reason to worry.

It seems to me that people going raw often worry more about eating "forbidden" raw foods than about eating a "variety" of foods. For instance, some believe that "sweet" fruit should be a forbidden raw food (for everybody), or some believe that nuts and seeds should be a forbidden raw food (for everybody) or some believe that sprouted grains or seaweed should be a forbidden raw food (for everybody), etc.

I feel best when including at least a small amount of all the different raw food groups - though not necessarily everyday. And within those different food groups, it may not be necessary to have a huge variety.

For instance, I don't really have a huge variety of raw fruits, because I grow most of my fruits and eat (a lot of) what's in season.

Quantity of each food group may depend entirely on each individual's unique constitution, and their daily needs. Personally, I really don't feel that great when I regularly eat large quantities of greens. I eat greens once or twice a week, because they tend to tire me out. But I wouldn't say that's best for everyone. I don't think it's necessary to restrict anything as long as it's raw, vegan, and feels good. For me, how much I eat of whatever, depends on the quantity that makes me feel best.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2010 08:04PM by suncloud.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 11, 2010 04:54AM

Roger looks good doesn't he?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/2010 05:04AM by Mislu.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables