Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Killer Cravings!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 16, 2006 06:34PM

I have been about 90% raw for about 4 weeks now. I have felt great along the way, until only recently have I been experiencing the most intense cravings for cooked food that I have ever felt in my life! Warmth, aroma- suddenlly I am crazy for grease and even some meat sounds good- and I'm typically vegetarian!! Being around friends cooking drives me up the wall. It's not a craving for sweets, but more for the warmth, smell, and satiated feeling due to high calories. Perhaps I need a multi-vitamin? Maybe I need more calories to hold over the ravenous desires? Anyone have ideas, comments, suggestions? I want to continue to be raw, but I don't want to desire cooked food so badly!

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Killer Cravings!!
Posted by: sunshine79 ()
Date: August 16, 2006 06:50PM

Whenever I've felt that, I just went ahead and ate whatever it was I was craving. You may find that the food no longer tastes as good as it once did - that happened to me a few times.

Raw food isn't about deprivation, it's about feeling good. It's too hard to quit "normal" food cold turkey - I think it makes more sense to wean yourself off gradually. The social eating w/friends is the hardest to give up, imo. I have no definite plans to give that up, as a matter of fact. If it happens, cool - if not, well a couple cooked things now then won't kill me.

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 16, 2006 07:14PM

I definately agree with sunshine.

In my opinion, life isn't about a bunch of do's and do not's, you'll drive yourself up the wall. Just gradually change, unless it is for major health issues (such as myself with chronic acid reflux I once had). If you really don't want to eat something, just think of how it felt like after you were done eating something that wasn't optimal. That always seems to work for me. I see the once thought of as a yummy pizza, and I see my husband eating eat. I smell the aroma, and the only thing keeping me from eating it is I just imagine how I once felt afterward. I think of how I will feel if I eat something more optimal, especially when out to eat. I hope this helps. Eat and I say eat more greens in your diet. Your cravings will surprisingly one day diminish. I can definetly testify to that.

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: August 16, 2006 07:18PM

if you're craving fats/calories, try eating more avocado (MMMM), nuts, hemp seeds ..

i've had some cravings and major temptations (my mom held a going away party for me the other night and there were cookies, cakes etc which i love) but i always feel heavy/bloated after i eat these things, unlike the happy,light,healthy feelings i get after eating raw/living foods there are a lot of raw foods that are fatty and sweet that can do the same trick but won't make you feel the same way as processed foods.

of course there's nothing wrong with eating cooked foods but personally, every time i've gone back, it has only done me harm. i suppose the key here is balance!

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 16, 2006 09:22PM

My emotional take on it:

-The only way to defeat cravings is to be kind to yourself - and try to find something that is more emotionally fulfilling, inspiring, joyful and exciting....rather than (what YOU think) are poor food choices. The higher law supersedes and encompasses the lower.

-Ha! You want the REAL solution to eating a particular bad food? Try eating NOTHING BUT that food for a week straight and REALLY listen to what your body is telling you! If you listen good, you'll be good! LOL.

-David Mason

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 17, 2006 01:13AM

Giottaj,

Since you've already been 90% for a month, you're doing real good. I agree with Lilpaws about the nuts and seeds. Also, salads with raw wheat germ and a dressing of cold pressed olive oil and lemon juice have really helped me stay raw. I'm beginning to replace the raw wheat germ and olive oil with sprouted wheat and 1/4 of an avocado. But the raw wheat germ and olive oil definitely helped when I needed it, and I may go back to it if I start wanting cooked food again. Also, for that salty fix, I add raw dulse to the salad (that's the only salty thing I eat).

Also, just in case you feel you just have to eat something cooked, it's good to be prepared with some fresh or frozen veggies around that you can cook and add to your salads. It's much easier to recover from eating cooked peas, corn, broccoli, spinach, green beans, etc. than if you end up eating something real starchy like rice or bread or pasta.

Best wishes, Ally

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 17, 2006 03:45AM

What worked for me in the "early days" was that I let myself eat anything that I wanted in any amount that I wanted - as long as it was raw. I'd eat two or three dehydrated raw fruit bars at a time, or half a jar of nut butter or an entire package of raw cookies from the health food store.

For me, (not necessarily for everyone) the thing that I realized was that
IF I DON'T WANT TO CRAVE IT - DON'T EAT IT. Continuing to eat bread or baked potatoes or popcorn (the things I craved) would just keep the cravings going. I ate some pretty poor raw choices that I wouldn't consider acceptable now - but I got through the cravings pretty quickly.

Sometimes I would walk into the kitchen and my husband would be making toast and I could barely stand it - it smelled so good. Now, it just smells like someone is burning something in my kitchen!!!! Hang in there. And, pat yourself on the back for what you're doing. It's not easy. That's why we all need each other's support on these boards. Not easy - but sooooooooo worth it!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: rawblue ()
Date: August 17, 2006 05:12AM

For me, 4 weeks is a signficant period whenever I make a change in my life. It is long enough for the novelty to have worn off, but not soon enough to really feel like it is incorporated in my life.

Recently though, I have found it to be a wonderful turning point. The point where I really learn the most as it is kind of the "last round" of whatever test I have set up for myself. Be gentle on yourself, but also open yourself to whatever you can learn during this period. Whether it is something logistical like how to handle the cravings via substitution, or something deeper like really facing your food addictions--you will grow a lot during this time.

My best to you

Posted by: alive! ()
Date: August 17, 2006 04:27PM

I just re-read your post giottaj. Something came to mind that I had forgotten. I also went through a period (very short) of time where meat looked good to me and I've been a vegan for 15 years!!! It really unnerved me!!! I couldn't believe it. I love animals so much, see meat as something really dead and putrifying and I was grossed out at myself for even having those thoughts.

Later it was explained to me that when we go through the detoxing process, we will sometimes crave the substance (s) that we are detoxing.

Rawblue gave you some great insight. You are probably going through the most intense part of the cravings right now. Maybe try to stay away from others that are cooking right now. No, not forever, just right now. Be good to yoursef. If you get a chance, you might want to read Victoria Boutenko's book 12 steps to raw foods. She addresses our desire to eat cooked food as an addiction. I don't know that I agree with her totally - but she offers some great tips.

If cooked food IS an addiction, well you wouldn't go hang out at the bar to play pool if you were trying to recover from alcoholism. So, it's not so unreasonable to stay away from others that are cooking - if you can. I am actually in recovery from alcoholism (celebrated 7 yrs. last week - I'm happy and grateful to say) and something that I learned there is

IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL - KEEP GOING!!!!!

Hang in there, the rewards are so worth it!!!

Life Is Good!

alive!

Posted by: Arvydas ()
Date: August 17, 2006 04:33PM

I heard once that sudden cravings for such things is often because of the blood being flooded with old toxins (from the body cleansing itself on a deeper level). from the foods you're craving that you used to eat.

I've had awful cravings for stuff in the past and I just ignored them until they went away. I used to have huge cravings for cheese, but not anymore.

In my experience feeding the craving makes it worse, but everyone's different.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 17, 2006 06:48PM

you all are quite insightful, thanks so much! i will take all your advice!

Posted by: shep252 ()
Date: August 17, 2006 08:50PM

congratulations, alive! I applaud you.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: August 17, 2006 09:59PM

Alive,

I like that: "IF YOU'RE GOING THROUGH HELL, KEEP GOING!"

Congratulations on your 7 year anniversary!

Oh, and I just want to say that it's been my experience too that the longer I stay away from any kind of cooked food that I used to really like, the easier it is for me to forget about eating it. I begin to stop thinking of those things as really being food, even though my husband eats cooked food (vegan) everyday.

Best wishes, Ally

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2006 10:05PM by Ally.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables