Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: Why must I judge and criticize people eating 811?
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: March 02, 2010 11:29AM

> In Eat, Drink, & Be Healthy, Willett also
> advocates consuming more plant protein, and less
> animal protein. He also discourages dairy
> consumption. He's not vegan. But, supports a
> plant-based diet.

Thanks, Paul, I found a review of the book as well showing a "food pyramid" where animal foods are optional "THE HEALTHY EATING PYRAMID: EPIDEMIOLOGY SUPPORTS THE VEGAN DIET "--

[www.vegan.org.nz]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 11:31AM by loeve.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: March 02, 2010 02:36PM

> Thank you Loeve. The tsunami so far seems pretty
> mild. Hopefully everything will be fine.
>
> Yes, the video was kind of unnerving. I didn't
> know what cataplexy was either until I read your
> post.

I gather the surge from the tsunami was about 1 meter around Hawaii, enough to justify the evacuations and be eventful, but not enough to cause damage. I heard Chile suffered a large tsunami as a result of the quake, most getting to safety but not all. Am glad Hilo was spared.

Speaking of longevity, cataplexy, the nerve/muscle condition, I was reading, can cause the appearance of death, to the point where sufferers have been pronounced 'dead', taken to the morgue, and woken up there!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/02/2010 02:45PM by loeve.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 02, 2010 04:28PM

Loeve,

Thanks for the link to
"THE HEALTHY EATING PYRAMID: EPIDEMIOLOGY SUPPORTS THE VEGAN DIET "
[www.vegan.org.nz]

I liked the pyramid, but especially enjoyed reading the article accompanying it.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: March 02, 2010 06:19PM

kwan,
thank you for the support and encouragement.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 02, 2010 09:47PM

I'd like to change what I wrote above. The pyramid is a big improvement on the standard one for for the masses. It is a good direction for people who aren't vegetarian to move toward. However, even for those people, I don't like where plant oils are on the pyramid.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: March 03, 2010 07:03AM

Trive,
I don't like the mention of canola oil and soybean oil in the pyramid. Isn't the thought now that pressed unsaturated oils oxidize too fast, and are especially dangerous when used in cooking?

I didn't read the whole article, but I did read about the benefits of eating nuts. I have always loved nuts, and I eat them daily. I count it good fortune to like them, and that I don't have an allergy to them. That doesn't seem like good news for someone allergic to tree nuts. Does anyone have suggestions for an oil source for someone that is sensitive to them? I have heard that acorns used to be a staple for most of humanity early in human history. Another staple was supposed to be blueberries and related berries. Some have said that melons was a major source of food in some areas.

Date: March 03, 2010 05:34PM

Walter Willett's food pyramid gives nuts and legumes their own prominent place, increases veggies and turns the rest of the pyramid upside down making a statement that fats *can* be good and that complex carbs are second to *whole food* carbs. Exercise forms the new base of the pyramid. I think it's good for sparking debate but probably not meant by Willett to be taken as a final draft, the "oils" section in particular. I like to think he would do the same for proteins and fats as he did for carbs, and emphasize whole food sources across the board.

[search.aol.com]

Date: March 05, 2010 03:55AM

Loeve,
I like that he mentioned avoiding trans fats. I don't think that can be emphasized enough. I wish that was actually made completely illegal. The likes of a certain T.V. celebrity thinks thats the 'nanny state government' at work making choices for us. But I just think this ingredient is just too dangerous for the general public. Especially considering how uninformed most people are about it, how poorly industry lables it, and even how some products are labled 'trans fat free' when in fact hydrogenated oils can be a major ingredient. I feel that people will be much better off with natural sources of saturated fat. One can argue that those aren't safe in large amounts, but they are nothing compared to trans fats.

I don't like his plug for frying with corn oil, as there is evidence that is not a great oil to use for eating, cooking etc. There are better oils for cooking which are less prone to oxidation.

I think the best option for obtaining oils and fats in the diet is to use whole food sources as you mentioned. Such as avocados, nuts, seeds etc. If you must use a pressed oil, its best to be something like olive oil, macadamia nut oil, avocado oil, where the oil is largely monosaturated and not so prone to oxidation.

Date: March 05, 2010 12:08PM

Mislu,
I agree, Willett may have helped get trans fats on the label in the US. It's law here now, and banned in some local settings, I believe in New York city restaurants? How hydrogenated oils are not trans fats escapes me. Willett has said that coconut oil deserves further study though it is high in saturated fats. Right now it's lumped with saturated animal fats in most studies, like the Harvard Nurses study, but I'm sure he sees a distinction.

Did he recommend fried foods? Regarding the glycemic load he says scrambled eggs in corn oil is better than a bagel with jam. I think his point was pro glycemic load concepts rather than pro frying... Scramble eggs are fried at a relatively low temperature for a short duration, unlike fried potatoes which he would say has a high glycemic load.

""A relatively new concern is glycemic load, which results from carbohydrates that increase blood sugar levels. The USDA Food Pyramid promotes eating complex carbohydrates without differentiating among them, but there are major differences between carbohydrates.

"For example, the body breaks down glucose in a potato more rapidly than pure sugar, spiking glucose levels in the blood and increasing the risk of diabetes."

BTW, potato starch is pure glucose, the major determinant of glycemic load. He misses that point. Table sugar is pure sucrose, which is half glucose and half fructose. A minor quible.

In the pyramid Willet flips oils and complex carbs, I think on the basis of glycemic load. I'd personally add coconut oil to your suggestions as a good oil, also if one must use an oil, though keeping all visible oils under about 4 tbsps, like my favorite Kerala, India study indicates regarding hypertension risk factors.

Hopefully this all relates back to the intent of the OP.

Date: March 06, 2010 06:00AM

Loeve,
I agree with most of your comments about coconut oil, its not the same as other saturated fats. I am glad that hydrogenated oils are banned in some areas. A few communities have severely limited access to fast foods, pretty close to a complete ban.

That has attracted some negative press, and some positive press as far as I am concerned. Some are crying foul, that the government and 'liberals' are making choices for us. In a sense I guess it is restricting choice and assuming responsibility for others. Maybe that was a bit much for trying to reverse the trend in the U.S. towards more and more junk foods. If someone really wants to deep fry, let them use palm oil, or some other natural oil suited for high heat. I don't see how access to trans fat is a 'right'. I don't know what the limits are in government in protecting the health of its citizens, but it has responsibility for informing the public, and regulating ingredients.

So you think that government recommendations will always be subject to various special interest groups?

Pages: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables