Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Successful 80/10/10
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: February 26, 2010 09:23PM

Would anyone here care to respond who has been following 80/10/10 successfully (with no transgressions) for one year or more? In other words, up to 12% fat each day for one year or more.

I would like to know about your weight loss/gain and any other information you would care to share.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2010 09:29PM by suncloud.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Successful 80/10/10
Date: February 26, 2010 10:01PM

Thanks!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 26, 2010 10:26PM

id like to know if there is anyone 2 years+.

its a hard routine to stick to but we have some amazing people here, the short term effects seems to be great but i want to see the long term effects.

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: February 26, 2010 11:38PM

you might try making this query on 30BaD or Doug Graham's vegsource forum if you're truly interested in 80/10/10 success stories. There's quite a few in the book too, and on youtube.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:26AM

rawpreston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> you might try making this query on 30BaD or Doug
> Graham's vegsource forum if you're truly
> interested in 80/10/10 success stories.
Dr.D follows the vegsource forum very closely. He will
personally answer questions directed to him. The forum isn't user
friendly like this one, and you won't always agree with his answers,
but, like Prana here, he makes himself available. I've noticed he has
a strong following from my limited posting there.....WY

[www.vegsource.com]

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 27, 2010 12:34AM

30BaD is an abbreviation for [www.30bananasaday.com]

Date: February 27, 2010 01:16AM

Thank you for the suggestions.

I might visit those places too, but I'm also interested in the responses here. This is "the largest community on the internet dedicated to educating the world about the power of living and raw foods."

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 27, 2010 01:52AM

That banner has been up for many years. This place probably once was the biggest on the net, but the raw food movement has grown and now the banner is a nostalgic antique more than anything else.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 27, 2010 03:36AM

I find this site has many intelligent, thoughtful, rational and kind people who share their knowledge and experiences freely - that includes information on 80-10-10 as well as other raw vegan variations. In fact, I like that it is not solely 80-10-10. Also, I like how this site makes it easy to keep track of what you've read and what are new postings. For me, this is the most useful and user-friendly raw site, although I also peruse others now and then.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: February 27, 2010 04:39PM

I was VERY successful short-term on 80/10/10. In fact, my testimonial is featured in the 80/10/10 book. Unfortunately, the long-term benefits didn't match up with the short-term benefits.

I suggest 80/10/10 for short durations (Training for a competition, overcoming an illness, a true cleaning program, overcoming candida, etc), but then switching back to a more rounded, balanced approach afterwards. I believe it to be a highly cleansing diet, which fees up a TON of energy to heal & train like you never have before. But it just doesn't provide the nutrition to sustain you long-term. It's a deficient diet, IMO.

If I were training for an olympic event, or a MMA fight or something, I'd be 80/10/10 the entire time, and I'd be on top of my game. I'd go in there with max energy, max stamina, and max strength. But after the competition, no question, I'd switch things around a little.

Best,
Mark

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 27, 2010 04:52PM

"more rounded, balanced approach afterwards" - I find 80/10/10 (raw) to be balanced for me.

Date: February 27, 2010 05:03PM

Utopian Life, so did I, until my health started to deteriorate. I won't preach though... I just came on here to explain my story to people, and each of you are intelligent enough to make adjustments if and when you feel out of balance.

Best,
Mark

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 27, 2010 06:19PM

marksquire,

I find myself playing around with how much fat I include. A range of 10 to 20% seems good to me now.

What percentage fat and what percentage protein do you now eat? Are you still 100% raw or do you include cooked food in your diet now?

My favorite raw vegan

Date: February 27, 2010 07:39PM

marksquire Wrote:
> But it
> just doesn't provide the nutrition to sustain you
> long-term. It's a deficient diet, IMO.

Deficient in what exactly? I'm just curious.

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: February 27, 2010 07:40PM

We all have a different constitution. Some people shouldn't eat this way. Others thrive. Everyone must reassess his or her way of eating every so often and make the necessary adjustments.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 27, 2010 08:19PM

No mark your posts are appreciated as hiding the bad part is exactly whats wrong.

id be interested in what you were found to be deficient also, could be a wide array of nutrients though.

Date: February 27, 2010 08:50PM

Why would people hide the bad part? They have nothing to gain. Why would so many follow a diet if there were "bad parts"?

I can accept it's not a diet for everyone, but Mark you're saying it's not a diet for anyone?? I'm sorry but I find it hard to believe that you lost 45lbs of muscle unavoidably because you went raw, then gained it all back after leaving raw. No diet causes muscle to be lost or gained, as long as sufficient calories are eaten. How many years did it take you to gain 45lbs of muscle? Most people are happy if they can gain 1lb/month, on any diet. Are you 100% sure you were getting sufficient calories on raw? What was your body fat prior to raw? What is your body fat now? I assume your workouts were identical pre/post going raw, as well as after leaving raw?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2010 08:52PM by rawpreston.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:19PM

Brian Clement's program, at the Hippocrates Health Institute
in West Palm Beach, FL, heals people with little, or no, Fruit. He
is very vocal against the 80/10/10 diet of High Fruit.
Clement is a very strict believer in Raw Foods. So strict, in fact, that
many of his patients can't stay with the program. The Gerson Therapy has
a good track record, but allows some cooked food, making it easier for
their clients to 'transition'.
I'm thinking I need to give the 'Low-fruit, 100% Raw Vegan Diet' a chance.
It would include a daily serving of Wheatgrass Juice, Carrot Juice, Green
Smoothie, and Celery-Cucumber Juice....with Chlorella supplementation.....WY
P.S. I'll check back here in a month or so.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:32PM

WY,

A friend of the family who is fairly ascetic herself spends a few weeks a few times a year at Hippocrates, and in her opinion, it's that there aren't sufficient simple carbs in Brian Clement's regimen for people she's met who can't stick with it.

Sorry, suncloud, this isn't really pertinent to your query.

Date: February 27, 2010 09:39PM

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:

> Clement is a very strict believer in Raw Foods. So
> strict, in fact, that

Actually, he eats and recommends cooked foods, for healthy people. He just isn't upfront about it.

Date: February 27, 2010 10:00PM

I'm sorry but the notion that fruit causes or fuels cancer is ludicrous. Fruit is well-known to have amazing anti-cancer properties, along with vegetables. Yes cancer cells feed on glucose. --->So does every other cell in your body.<--- If you eat a lot of fat or protein and low-carbs, guess what they must be converted to carbs for your body to use them as fuel. I refuse to sit around and be paranoid of cancer and not fuel my active lifestyle with natural healthy fruit.

Keep in mind that Hippocrates gets a lot of people on their deathbed. The sick people they get have typically abused their bodies with SAD, chemicals, and drugs their whole life.. not people who've eaten a healthy raw unadulterated organic diet of nothing but fruits, greens, and vegetables. They never see those people. The diet their patients are fed is quite calorically restricted, and they rest and heal, a lot. It's not a sustainable diet, that's why Brian Clement eats and recommends cooked foods.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 27, 2010 10:03PM

Clements has always recommended 20% (as a percentage of volume) come from cooked foods. He believes that raw foods are the best, but the diet he recommends doesn't really work, by his own admission, eating at 100% raw.

When it comes a deficiency in a diet, this is all relative to the person claiming the deficiency. Relative, not absolute. An omnivore say a vegetarian diet is deficient because it doesn't have animal flesh. A vegetarian says a vegan diet is deficient because it doesn't have eggs or cheese. A vegan says a raw vegan diet is deficient because it doesn't have cooked starches or vegetables. A raw vegan says a fruitarian diet is deficient because it doesn't have raw vegetables. And so on.

All it takes is one person thriving on a particular diet to prove that it isn't deficient. But really what it means is that it isn't deficient for everyone. It doesn't mean, however, that it isn't deficient for you (or me, or whoever is worried about deficiency).

Also, there is way more to health than diet. I've seen people eat the exact diet as me, or even cleaner, and end up weighing only 80 pounds. Raw foods are powerful foods, and a large part of what creates good health for us is our minds and our mental state and our belief systems. There are some people who believe they are taking up too much space in this world. If you give they raw foods, they are going to manifest their belief system, and start to lose weight, to prove their beliefs. Strange as this sounds, I've seen it. There are others who simply don't want to live. So they manifest cancers on a clean non-toxic raw food diet. Is it the fault of the diet?

Date: February 28, 2010 12:18AM

Tamukha, as far as I'm concerned, your thoughtful input is always welcome!

Seems to me that the strict Hippocrates Program and the strict 80/10/10 program are about at opposite ends of the raw food spectrum. It's possible there could be a happy medium for many people somewhere in between.

Date: February 28, 2010 02:37AM

Mark Squire,
I was just reading your testimonial in the 80/10/10 book, and in it you claim to have gained 30lbs of muscle in the first year of 80/10/10, and 10lbs more the following year. This was after you did 3 years of high-fat raw foods lifting with nothing to show for it. Is this all true? Because here you've made it sound like you lost the muscle on 80/10/10 and raw, not gained it. Exactly where did 80/10/10 fail you? What is your diet now?
Thanks

Date: February 28, 2010 05:46AM

Rawpreston,

I can't figure out if you're just really curious, or if you're just trying to spark some kind of debate. I'm not interested in debating, friend. Just chatting with likeminded folks.

You asked a lot of questions -- I gained the most muscular weight when I switched to the 80-10-10 diet, you're correct. In fact, gaining muscle was a snap on that diet. Eating tons of nuts, seeds, avocados, nut butters, etc, caused me to LOSE weight, oddly enough. I feel like it drained the "living water" out of my body, and left me more dehydrated than anything else. Those foods are rough on the digestive system.

My diet now isn't all that much different than the standard 8-1-1 diet. Still lots of fruit, lots of smoothies, some superfoods & supplements, and some vegetable juices. I've bumped up my protein intake, because I feel more grounded with a higher protein intake. This, of course, is done through supplementation. I use 50% hemp protein (in my fridge right now), as well as Sun Warrior protein (on top of my fridge right now) in my smoothies.

Let's see... if I had to guess my dietary ratios right now, it'd probably be something like: 65% carbs, 25% protein, 10% fat. Maybe even 60/25/15.

I'm not vegan. I use some censored food in my diet, as a staple. Not abnormal amounts like some of the Vonderplanitz fanatics out there, but some, yes. I won't go into that much, because I don't want to offend anybody. I understand a lot of people came onto this diet for ethical reasons, so I'll respect them enough to not go into it anymore than I have.

Oh, and I don't eat bananas anymore, unless I can get my hands on red bananas, which I haven't seen in stores for way too long.

That's about it. 8 years into my raw journey, this is what I've evolved to.

Best,
Mark

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 05:58AM by marksquire.

Date: February 28, 2010 05:48AM

Oh, and I'm going to attend a Raw event this year, and I'd love to meet some of you. Especially those of you who I've been talking to for years now. What's the big one, and when is it? I've been kind of out of the loop.

Best,
Mark

Date: February 28, 2010 05:58AM

Wasn't trying to be rude but you left the impression in the other 80/10/10 thread that raw [and 80/10/10?] is what caused you to lose all the muscle, you seemed to agree that 80/10/10'ers look skinny, and you never mentioned the positives 80/10/10 gave you like the actual gaining back the 40lbs of muscle. I was just trying to get your story straight. You're claiming the 80/10/10 is deficient in something (?), and you don't recommend it for anyone, but uh, not everyone is a bodybuilder like you and maybe it could work for some, do you think? Although 40lbs of pure muscle in 2 years is insane and I'd love to hear more about how you did that on 80/10/10.

wait, so you gained 40lbs of muscle on 80/10/10, but I still haven't read what your actual problems were with the diet. Just the way you felt? Sorry you've probably posted them before but if you could mention it again that would be good, thanks. You also mentioned in the 80/10/10 book that you did 80/10/10 "with a little Squire mixed in", what kind of concessions were these if you wouldn't mind sharing?

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: February 28, 2010 04:11PM

>There are some people who believe they are taking up too much space in this world. If you give they raw foods, they are going to manifest their belief system, and start to lose weight, to prove their beliefs. Strange as this sounds, I've seen it. There are others who simply don't want to live. So they manifest cancers on a clean non-toxic raw food diet. Is it the fault of the diet?<

Bryan, your synopsis could be right, but it strikes me as perhaps too simplistic a way to explain away any problems with an 80-10-10 diet, or any other diet, for that matter. In effect, it says "If anything goes wrong, it HAS to be your fault."

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: February 28, 2010 06:49PM

Yes, I agree with Sharrhan.

I don't believe in the idea that eating all raw foods causes anyone to manifest emotions that make them take up less space on the planet.

Raw foods aren't magic! Every critter on the planet (except humans) eats all raw foods.

Telling someone they are too slim because of their emotions just lays an unfair guilt trip on the person - on top of whatever is physically wrong. For heaven's sake YES, it could be the fault of the diet!

There may be a better way for that person to eat and be healthy on all raw foods.

In regard to the original question, thank you Mark Squire for your response! Anyone else besides Mark Squire?

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 07:00PM by suncloud.

Date: February 28, 2010 06:57PM

kwan Wrote:

> Bryan, your synopsis could be right, but it
> strikes me as perhaps too simplistic a way to
> explain away any problems with an 80-10-10 diet,
> or any other diet, for that matter. In effect, it
> says "If anything goes wrong, it HAS to be your
> fault."

I think that's the gist of why people get offended when others claim 80/10/10 is the best diet. They feel if that's true then they must be wrong! I thought Bryan's post was spot-on. The truth is, a perfect health balance is not trivial at all to achieve, and there are MANY factors outside of diet. Look at the immense variety of diets out there, and how the vast majority of America is suffering and has no clue. In addition, different people have different definitions of perfect health, with vastly different goals. Who can say that their health and body is perfect in every way? We must constantly strive to improve or we lose our zest. Personally I choose a diet that keeps me energetic and clear-minded. SAD and high-fat raw weren't it.

The debate about "best diet for all" can go on forever, but I think it would be less heated if the non-811ers felt less threatened by the implication that it's the best diet, and the 811ers would feel less threatened if people didn't always claim that it was somehow deficient or even dangerous in some way, or that its male followers are all emaciated, etc.

As always, the people set in their ways end up "agreeing to disagree", and maybe some people read this who are on the fence about some stuff. To those people I suggest if you're interested, read the book, try it out for yourself. Who knows, you might like it; don't let misconceptions, preconceived notions, or judgment of others hold you back.

Don't fear the fruit!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 07:01PM by rawpreston.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables