Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Cooked quinoa
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 27, 2010 08:38PM

Hi,
I'm Aster, 25 year old male elf new to the forum. I just recently began a 100% raw diet.
Quinoa has been a primary staple for me (I have been veggie my whole life, and made friends with Quinoa a few years ago).
Just wanting to get some input on cooked quinoa vs. sprouted quinoa, and how cooked quinoa would integrate into an otherwise fully raw diet.. what do you feel?
Thanks!
Paz y luz
de Inti y Quilla

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cooked quinoa
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 27, 2010 09:28PM

Welcome, Aster!

I have not had much luck with sprouting quinoa; it tends to spoil for me. So if I want some, I eat it steamed. But I haven't had any in ages. It really is up to you whether you want to incorporate it into a raw regimen, but I'd recommend trying some sprouted quinoa to compare the two forms. Good luck : )

Date: February 28, 2010 01:58AM

We've recently discovered Quinoa and I love having it as a part of our raw diet. Personally, I like having a bit of grains in our diet, but we aren't 100% purists, yet. We enjoy it cooked, with a bit of lemon, pepper and peas.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 28, 2010 10:10PM

funny, I find quinoa one of the easiest to sprout. it only takes one or two days, them lil sprouts are bursting out! I think if I left it much longer than that it would spoil though. I like to add it to bread, (with sprouted wheat or something) gives it a nice white colour. apparently it's a member of the spinach family :-O

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: March 01, 2010 12:55AM

Family - Chenopodiaceae: spinach, beets, swiss chard, quinoa, amaranth (I think, might just be a cousin).

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 01, 2010 01:26AM

I love it.
I used to sprout it,but it would get funky real fast and ended up throwing it out many times.
Now I steam some to have on hand all the time.
I love it on salads.
And make a dish of steamed quinoa and pumpkin,with some soy butter and some ginger and cinnamon,and you will love it.
Its a great substitute for any dish that calls for rice.

Vinny

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: March 01, 2010 02:18PM

What kind of steamers do you use? I only have a application were I put it in a pot, but I got too big holes for quinoa.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 01, 2010 02:37PM

i just use a vegetable steamer there pretty cheap,

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 01, 2010 03:15PM

Oh,I just boil it in a pot.
1 cup water to 1/2 cup quinoa.
15 minutes.

Vinny

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 01, 2010 10:11PM

hee hee faeterri - maybe it's a 2nd cousin twice removed grinning smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Date: March 02, 2010 01:25AM

I have decided I will be keeping cooked quinoa in my diet! feels right for my body.

Thanks!

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: March 02, 2010 01:47AM

I've never had success with Quinoa -- either cooked or sprouted. I find it terribly irritating to my digestive tract. But, everyone's built differently. If it feels right for your body now, ride it out. I'm sure further along in your raw journey, you'll likely change your stance. It's certainly a much healthier food than what the majority of people are eating, so you're on the right track.

Best,
Mark

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 03, 2010 02:49PM

it doesn't sprout like other things for me. I just soak it over night and then use it like any other grain. Toss it in salad. EVEN if you are gonna cook quinoa, one should still soak it overnight. its the perfect raw grain to make tabouli with !!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:37PM

For me quinoa is a little tricky. It sprouts faster than other grains, so I have to time it depend what I want it for with my recipe. I have a recipe on this forum for golden kamut bread where I use germinated quinoa, just soaked not sprouted, that helps improve the overall consistency and appearance of the bread (little white flecks in golden bread). because it germinates so quickly, I soak it just as the kamut begins to sprout so that I can mill it in my food processor.

I used to love cooked quinoa. But to be honest, since I am trying to stay on the Fast Start program of Raw Food Revolution which is 100 percent raw for 21 days, I need to eliminate all cooked food for the duration. On top of that, I really like sprouted quinoa on salads. Makes a great addition.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables