Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone know anything about fasting and supplements?
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 28, 2010 06:44PM

I'm an experienced juice faster but this time I am considering taking some kind of supplement while on it. I know I should be getting all the nutrients from juice but I tend to slack on it some days and in the past have had signs of nutrient deficiency like hair starts falling out. Minerals and protein tend to be my problem.

I was considering these... Any recommendations or suggestions?

If I take a protein type powder will it really ruin the fasting processs?
[www.rawpower.com]

Or just something like this but then there's no protein:
[www.traceminerals.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 06:51PM by BackAgain.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone know anything about fasting and supplements?
Posted by: Prana ()
Date: February 28, 2010 08:18PM

The nutritional data on the first supplement said it had 114 calories in a serving. This is like water fasting, but eating a large banana. Which really isn't fasting, but a very low calorie diet.

So you if want the benefits that come when the digestive system is completely shut down, you might not want to take that supplement because of the 114 calories. But if that is the only calories you get in a day, the healing you get on that fast will still be better than eating your normal daily diet.

It really depends on what your goals are and what you want to accomplish with your fast.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2010 08:21PM

I have been eating mostly raw food for 5 years or so however I feel I have an advantage over 95% of raw foodists. My introduction to the whole process included an explanation of what creates nutrition - which in a word is - minerals - in the soil. There are so few farmers, nutritionists or anyone who understands this principle. Simply said, minerals create vitamins, enzymes, protein and bioavailable minerals in plants. Without minerals being replenished in the soil, getting these things is a hit or miss process. Raw food in itself is definitely a step in the right direction, but realistically it is only about 20 or 30% of the whole picture! Real food with minerals, if you've ever eaten it, is unmistakable! Rudolph Steiner's programs and colleges were based on this principle. Go to [remineralize.org] and hear how people are growing food on rocky soil, with added minerals, and getting vegetables twice the normal size, with all possible nutrition, and insect resistance as a side benefit!
I am scouring the web to find sources of minerally dense foods. So far, I have found (and absolutely verified) only two: [Lifeforce.com] and [avena-originals-nutrition.com]. Avena has the best supplements I've ever used, I have been using theirs for 12 years, with excellent results. Aside from the website above, here is a site about the doctor who formulates 90% of their products. I think you will be impressed! [squidoo.com]
Enjoy!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 01, 2010 01:36PM

mineral broths are a great aid whilst fasting. But if your hair is falling out it probably isnt a good idea to fast.

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: March 02, 2010 01:44AM

BackAgain, what's the purpose of your fast? If you rapidly experience deficiency symptoms, then it's probably not a good idea to fast in a weakened state. Are you very thin?

As a side note, you can do A LOT better than that Thor's Raw Power protein blend. Buy Nutiva's 50% Hemp Protein, and you have an even better formula than that Thor blend has. His protein blend is Brazil Nut Protein & Hemp Protein, mixed with a minute amount of superfoods. Hardly worth the inflated price tag.

I get my Nutiva 50% Hemp Protein for $13 for the same size container as the Raw Power blend. It's almost double the protein, much less gritty fiber, mixes better, has less fat, and is healthier.

Best,
Mark

Date: March 09, 2010 02:12PM

Prana Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The nutritional data on the first supplement said
> it had 114 calories in a serving. This is like
> water fasting, but eating a large banana. Which
> really isn't fasting, but a very low calorie
> diet.

I thought digestion had more to do with the fiber in the supplements than calories? I mean, a glass of carrot juice has at least 100 calories and that's OK on a fast..

Date: March 09, 2010 02:17PM

marksquire Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> BackAgain, what's the purpose of your fast? If
> you rapidly experience deficiency symptoms, then
> it's probably not a good idea to fast in a
> weakened state. Are you very thin?

Healing and weight loss. I caught some strong viral thing back in January and my body hasn't been right since, lots of "congestion" and mucus issues left over for it. Never had these kinds of problems before. Also gained about 30lbs so definitely not very thin and can lose some.

Thanks for the Hemp Protein info..I also like that better than the blend I originally posted.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables