Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fig Skin!
Date: March 01, 2010 07:21PM

Do you eat the skin on a fig? How nutritious is the skin on a fig?

I've always peeled my figs, as the skin always looks like it tastes furry! But if there are any arguments for eating the skin, I'd like to hear them smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fig Skin!
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: March 01, 2010 10:06PM

I always eat it, myself. I don't know about figs in particular, but I was under the impression that the skin of a fruit is often very high in nutrients (with exceptions of some fruit, such as some tropical fruits; their skin can be toxic).

if I eat too many though they can make my mouth and tongue feel funny smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: ILoveJen ()
Date: March 02, 2010 12:45AM

i love it, and do eat it. if i eat too much it makes my tongue and my lips burn. hot smiley

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 02, 2010 01:17AM

I've never had any problem eating a LIMITED amount of the skins if the figs are ripe. Too many will probably irritate your mouth/lips/gums - as will eating unripe ones. Just my experience.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 02, 2010 03:50AM

If you are eating tree ripened figs, the skins don't burn much (they do if you eat a lot), assuming you eat the very ripe and sweet figs that have a jelly like texture on the inside. But if you are lucky enough to find a fig tree like this, many times the figs will have been pecked at by birds. I don't mind this, I'll eat the bird pecked figs as they are the most ripe.

When you buy store bought figs, its hard to find good figs, and they also don't always ripen (so I end up throwing them away, or eating them and suffering the fig burn).

But if you are buying local figs in the height of the season, and the figs are going almost overripe in the store, this is the best time to get them.

Date: March 02, 2010 10:54AM

Thanks for the replies, guys! I will give the skin a try!

I have a small fig tree that bore some fruit last summer (it was a stick when I bought it!) but I missed out as I was in the process of moving and I'd left it at my dad's house. This year, I'm going to keep an eye on it and hopefully there will be more fruit!

I'm going to keep it in a mini greenhouse- if there's only a few figs on it, I don't want to risk having a wrestling match with the blackbirds and redwings! smiling smiley

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 02, 2010 04:43PM

I have a vivid childhood memory of a huge fig tree at my grandparents' house with a hundred mirrors on it. Well, that's an exaggeration, but someone had broken a big mirror and all of the hand-sized pieces of mirror had been strung from the branches of the tree. The mirrors would move and change reflections. Seeing their own reflection in a piece of mirror would scare birds away. More figs for us and a beautiful tree!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: March 03, 2010 09:21AM

Trive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a vivid childhood memory of a huge fig tree
> at my grandparents' house with a hundred mirrors
> on it. Well, that's an exaggeration, but someone
> had broken a big mirror and all of the hand-sized
> pieces of mirror had been strung from the branches
> of the tree. The mirrors would move and change
> reflections. Seeing their own reflection in a
> piece of mirror would scare birds away. More figs
> for us and a beautiful tree!

That sounds stunning!!! Like something from a fairytale smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables