Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

protein
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2010 04:40PM

I love to work out and my body needs protein. I am gluten intolerant, vegetarian, and only eat plain yoghurt from the dairy family.
I eat 5 tbsp shelled hemp hearts in my smoothie in the morning, almond milk throughout the day, and eat about 1/2 cup nut a day.
What can i eat that is raw, or vegan, that is high in protein for rebuilding muscle?

Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: protein
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 02, 2010 04:47PM

Spinach is 30% protein.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: March 02, 2010 06:15PM

Legumes are high in protein and gluten-free. You could try sprouted chickpeas or lentils.

Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 02, 2010 07:07PM

Our needs for protein are overblown, to benefit the meat/dairy and protein supplement industries. Even if you're trying to gain muscle. Too much protein is hard on the body.

Hopefully marksquire comes in and contributes, he has a testimonial in the 80/10/10 book where he said he gained 30lbs muscle in first year and 10 more in the 2nd year of 80/10/10.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: March 02, 2010 07:36PM

Fruits and vegetables.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 02, 2010 08:08PM

Rather than focusing on what you need to eat to build muscle, perhaps its better to focus on what muscle building activities you are going to do to build that muscle. And if you do the physical activity, your body will direct you to the foods it needs to build those muscles you desire.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 02, 2010 11:17PM

im not so sure i agree on that because if on an all sugar diet then you arent going to build much muscle at all. alot say its all in the training which 70% is, most train wrong they do 100 repetitions which does nothing more than localised endurance.

If you want to train endurance then train it sport specific if your a boxer hit the heavy bag, a sprinter then sprint, a long distance runner then run etc.

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 02, 2010 11:28PM

Powerlife, last I checked, sugar was a cooked processed food, made from sugar cane. Last I heard, not many on the raw vegan diet are including sugar as part of the program smiling smiley

To build muscle, one wants to do anaerobic exercises. Also what helps muscle grow is to get plenty of rest and sleep.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: March 03, 2010 12:09AM

I agree with Prana....and would also add that sprouts should also be an excellent source of live proteins.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 03, 2010 02:16AM

Sprouted quinoa is a great protein.
Complete too I hear.
But you have to eat it within a day or two of sprouting or it will turn on you.

Vinny

Date: March 03, 2010 11:44AM

i meant pretty much a large portion of raw diet it made up of carbohydrates/simple sugars from fruit/veg.

you dont need the horrific amount of protein often suggested by bodybuilders but you do need a fair bit more and excess calories if you want to build muscle.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 11:45AM by powerlifer.

Posted by: RAWLION ()
Date: March 03, 2010 02:46PM

Technically, if you are working out, then you should be consuming extra calories. Dr. Cousens says it would be nearly impossible to have too few proteins and amino acids if one consumed the proper amount of vegetables, seeds, nuts and spirulina or chlorella.
most vegetables are high in protein, this just wasn't one of the things they were trying to make us eat in the 80"s. they wanted to sell us meat, dairy, etc. its all a load of crap. honestly, focusing on the WORD protein is dangerous even. The body, I have found, prefers amino acids to protein. if you lived on greens, and lifted weights. you would become stronger than ever before. I have a MASSIVE frame. and i have found now that i have been raw, and living on mainly fruit and vegetables and a few nuts that my muscle grows WAY quicker and larger than on any amount of meat i used to eat. dairy cheese etc, just clogs up the system and slows us down. It is im possible to have a protein deficiency if we eat enough vegetables to fulfill our calorie intakes needs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Raw Lion 440 pounds to 225 pounds!

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: March 03, 2010 03:13PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i meant pretty much a large portion of raw diet it
> made up of carbohydrates/simple sugars from
> fruit/veg.
>
> you dont need the horrific amount of protein often
> suggested by bodybuilders but you do need a fair
> bit more and excess calories if you want to build
> muscle.

I dont agree with you.
I wouldld not say that you need I higher percentage of protein when trying to build muscle. What you need is heavy lifting,a little more food in general, adequite rest, and a properly functioning glandular system.

Pretty much all of the sports nutrition books I have read (besides 80/10/10) give ludacris recomendations for protein intake. Back in the day when I used to follow them, my health only deteriorated and I barely had the energy to drag my sorry ass to the workout, let alone build any muscle.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: March 03, 2010 03:30PM

I have been into bodybuilding for 30 yrs now,and I am as big, if not bigger,and healthier,than any time I was spending hundreds of dollars on,and consuming massive amounts of milk and protein powder.
Period.
I am sure saving alot of money now.

Vinny

Date: March 03, 2010 03:59PM

WorkoutMan Wrote:
> powerlifer Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > i meant pretty much a large portion of raw diet
> it
> > made up of carbohydrates/simple sugars from
> > fruit/veg.
> >
> > you dont need the horrific amount of protein
> often
> > suggested by bodybuilders but you do need a
> fair
> > bit more and excess calories if you want to
> build
> > muscle.
>
> I dont agree with you.
> I wouldld not say that you need I higher
> percentage of protein when trying to build muscle.
> What you need is heavy lifting,a little more food
> in general, adequite rest, and a properly
> functioning glandular system.
>
> Pretty much all of the sports nutrition books I
> have read (besides 80/10/10) give ludacris
> recomendations for protein intake. Back in the
> day when I used to follow them, my health only
> deteriorated and I barely had the energy to drag
> my sorry ass to the workout, let alone build any
> muscle.

i do agree on the ludracris recommendations for protein but ill stick with sport science in the meantime which has proven you need extra protein and well pretty much extra everything when training as an athlete.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 03, 2010 06:14PM

proteinlover Wrote:
> I love to work out and my body needs protein. I am
> gluten intolerant, vegetarian, and only eat plain
> yoghurt from the dairy family.
> I eat 5 tbsp shelled hemp hearts in my smoothie in
> the morning, almond milk throughout the day, and
> eat about 1/2 cup nut a day.
> What can i eat that is raw, or vegan, that is high
> in protein for rebuilding muscle?
>
> Thanks!

I would recommend consulting Brendan Brazier's "Thrive" Series of books. [www.brendanbrazier.com]. Brendan, a raw vegan, is also an competitor in the triathalon. He has some specific suggestion on being a competitive athelete and remaining raw vegan. Offhand, I would recommend adding a stable source of sprouted legumes to your daily regimen. Sprouted lentils are very easy to digest, and inexpensive even when organic. They have over 7 gram of protein per cup and only 70 calories. Beyond that, look to rice protein and hemp protein supplements. Both are raw and vegan using low temperature enzymatic activity to seperate the protein fraction of rice and hemp. Here are some links on each.

[www.vitaminshoppe.com]
[www.nutribiotic.com]
[www.manitobaharvest.com]

Brendan also talks about "pea protein" but I'ven't found the need for a 3rd source of vegan protein concentrate. I train in martial arts and so along with maca root for fast recovery, I do use these even though they are not whole foods. I think if you are just trying to increase your protein intake using whole foods without the concentrates I mention above (I personally have not had problems with these and add them to my smoothies daily), then agree with the advice above, more fruits and vegetables and particularly sprouted legumes, peas, lentils, soybeans (edameme) and mung beans. Best.

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 06:18PM by pborst.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 03, 2010 06:49PM

I cannot thank you enough. That was all so helpful and I will look into the links, Paul.

SL

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: May 17, 2010 04:28AM

Saw my name mentioned in this thread. Building muscle is pretty easy. Lift heavy weights and eat like a King. I think the whole protein debate has merit when you eat very little raw food, since cooking denatures protein.

I see a lot of VERY skinny guys on a raw food diet (or fat ones, who are still shedding lbs from a previous faulty lifestyle). I see a lot of these guys in gyms trying to bulk up. Then I see them lifting, doing 12 reps, doing cardio, doing kettlebells, doing pushups, etc. No good. No one who is skinny gets large muscles from doing pushups. You can get defined muscles doing pushups, but not bigger.

Do a powerlifting routine, and eat plenty of fruits & veg. Gains will be a cinch.

Best,
Mark

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 17, 2010 04:42AM

"or fat ones, who are still shedding lbs from a previous faulty lifestyle" - do you know me from somewhere ? smiling smiley

I lost around 30lb so far (from 230 to 200 lb), but now it goes slower - I have to work for every pound. I should get to 180 (6.0'), and I think it will take a few months, but I am not in a hurry, as I feel good. I will not do powerlifting, I hate weights. I like swimming, running, a little exercise (what is wrong with "pushups"?). There are a lot of things you cannot do if you build too much muscle, one of things going away is natural elasticity. In tennis you can see that - strong, bulky guys are rare, most of them are lanky (don't bring up Nadal, his arms are strong, but his body is still not bulky).

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: May 17, 2010 06:31AM

I wish I found sprouted lentils easy to digest - I don't find any sprouts easy to digest, so much so that I avoid them completely. Hmm another topic I think smiling smiley

Date: May 17, 2010 11:17AM

You will only gain muscle if your eating an excess of calories you could be doing the best powerlifting routine and still be skinny as if your not eating excess.

the vega supplements are a good raw vegan protein source, aswell as hemp protein powder. Ive heard pumpkin seed protein powder is great also.

Posted by: rawrnr ()
Date: May 17, 2010 10:36PM

Vega is NOT raw and loaded with sodium...
HEMP or SUN WARRIOR - RAW rice protein

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables