Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Palindromic rheumatism
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 02, 2010 10:29PM

At last I have a diagnosis. After an initial nasty episode last summer this disease seems to be lying low. My knees ache in the morning but that is probably because I insist on running (and my upper spine aches ) - my doctor is quite happy for me to do this. He is also quite happy for me to be vegan and raw - unusual. I do not take the really nasty drugs that I have been offered again with the doctors approval - I do take some anti inflammatories before a long run or a race though.

I suppose I am lucky in that my doctor has told me to try and work out what triggers an episode and isn't trying to push horrid drugs on me but he dismissed my questions about diet, possible deficiencies etc. and as I said just told me to see what sets it off for me. ( I think the truth is that he just doesn't know about that kind of stuff and hasn't got the time or inclination to look into it)

This is the second auto immune disease that I have now got - the first being a thyroid issue.

Does anyone have any experience of this kind of rheumatism or any ideas of what I can do to prevent future 'episodes' - supposing that i get any of course smiling smiley

No one seems to know why people get auto immune problems - has anyone got any links to anything pertaining to this?

thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Palindromic rheumatism
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 03, 2010 12:10AM

flipperjan,

Have you seen this blog?

[www.healthandlifestyle.co.nz]

Perhaps it'll have info or ideas that may interest you.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Prana ()
Date: March 03, 2010 01:59AM

It could be your knees ache because of some misalignment in your skeletal system, perhaps you have tight hips that cause your knees to rub harshly when you run.

But rheumatism in general is a sign of toxicity, not deficiency.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 03, 2010 02:09AM

my microbiology teacher believes some of the auto immune disease we see in the western world is from our obsessive cleanliness that prevents us from being exposed to germs. Consequently, our immune system gets bored and attacks our own body.

david

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 03, 2010 09:42AM

Thank you Trive - interesting about the vit D - I have started taking a supplement but don't know if I take enough - never like taking supplements but I feel this one is really necessary for me.

Prana - My knees ache because I keep running when the joints are slightly inflamed - the other joints that were affected in my flare up last year have for the most part settled down. I have read that rheumatism ic connected to deficiencies - still researching that one. Although 'rheumatism is an unbrella word for lots of problems with very different causes.

dvdai - I'm sure you are right in general but I was brought up on a farm where there was no time for much cleaning. We lived in jolly, grubby chaos - i've never been much of a cleaner - we live very much with/in mother earth smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 09:46AM by flipperjan.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 03, 2010 02:17PM

flipperjan,

It's great that you have a diagnosis; sorry that you are going through this, however. Your attitude is very inspiring and is no doubt helping you greatly.

A query: have you ever had an acute Epstein-Barr infection? It has been correlated with your disorder. I started to have joint problems around ten years after a serious EB/mystery virus infection, and I do believe that some sort of rheumatic disorder may have been on its way down the pike for me. Perhaps raw is staving it off: any diet that suppresses inflammation and supports the immune sustem is salutary with such a disorder.

You are on the right track, just don't run it too hard : )

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2010 02:17PM by Tamukha.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables