Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Water fasting
Posted by: cy ()
Date: March 04, 2010 12:21AM

Does anyone do water fasting regularlY? I do sometimes,and I have just done a 10 day water fasting.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Water fasting
Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 04, 2010 12:52AM

Wow, Hope you're feeling great cy!

I regularly water-fast on Friday (from Thursday night to Saturday morning). I find it's like a battery recharge. Exercise does something similar; but both, combined with a raw food diet, are very helpful for me.

How was your 10-day fast?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 12:53AM by suncloud.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 04, 2010 01:41AM

The last one I did was 14 days, but that was the summer before last. I'm due for another one. In fact, I was thinking of starting one now. Spring is almost here-- it's a good time to fast.

How did yours go, Cy?

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: March 04, 2010 03:33AM

Hi Suncloud,Hi Kwan,
wonderful that you like fasting too!
I always did 3 day fasting,and I did many 2 day dry fasting too (nothing,even water). This is my first time 10 day fasting and was amazing.I got some dificulties because I forgot I was on my month-period time,but everything went ok.
I had little headache and I am sure that was because I did a liver cleanse before and I had some stuff to detox.But I feel great. I am really thinking in doing another one soon.Next week I'll do my next liver cleanse and after that definitely I'll do another one.Maybe a 14 day like you Kwan? When are planning to start yours?

Question:How do you break your fasting? I had orange juice on the last day and gaspacho today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2010 03:34AM by cy.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 04, 2010 05:54AM

cy--
Hopefully---- hopefully!!-- I'll start tomorrow. My body seems to have a mind of its own, however, and doesn't always listen to me. ;-o

When I do a long fast I try to do diluted juice, then graduate to juice, then fruit. Generally, the slower you transition back to solid food after a thorough water fast, the better.

Writing about this just reminded me about Peace Pilgrim, who did a 40 day water fast while she was on the road walking all over the U.S. as a witness for peace. When I did my 14 day fast I was reading her book-- very inspirational.

:-)

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:27PM

Cy,

I do a water fast monthly for 3 days and twice a year for extended periods of time, say 10 days. It helps me recharge. I usually break it with vegetable juice and ripe fruit. Best.

Paul

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 04, 2010 02:57PM

i done a 10 day one not long back, but i prefer juice fasts with mineral broths.

Date: March 04, 2010 05:12PM

Thank you so much Kwan.I'll do the diluted juice next time,and I''ll look for
Peace Pilgrim's book too.Looks very interesting!
I'd love to do a 40 day fasting.This is really my goal.One day I'll do that.

Thank you Pborst.That's a great idea to do a every month 3 day fasting.I usualy do a day fasting every 2 week,and also I don't eat after 5 pm (like a night-fasting) until next day 9 am.

Powerlifer,maybe I'll do a 92 day juice fasting one day.What is a mineral broth?

Posted by: marksquire ()
Date: March 05, 2010 05:14AM

I love the feeling you get off of any sort of fast. The freedom from digestion gives you so much mental clarity. However, I have the kind of body type, where I lose weight RAPIDLY with any kind of fast -- even a juice fast.

The longest water fast I've ever done is a week, and I lost 16 lbs. Went from looking pretty good, to looking unhealthy. I felt great, but looked terrible.

I think fasts are great for people with a lot of excess weight, but not for people with relatively low, or very low bodyfat to begin with. My bodyfat, even when I was eating Pizza, McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc, was at most, 7%. When I was hardcore into 8-1-1, it got as low as 5%.

When I fast, I just burn up valuable muscle tissue.

Best,
Mark

Date: March 05, 2010 12:13PM

mineral broth can be explained here with a mock recipe. A while back it was one of the best things that brought my health back into line along with juicing of course. Then i got onto radical dietary changes.

[cleanse.net]

Date: March 06, 2010 05:50PM

Thank you so much powerlifer. I'll tell my mother too about this mineral broth.Very interesting.I'll definitely will do that.

Date: March 06, 2010 07:03PM

no probs man, thats obviously a veggie broth, all broths including chicken, fish heads have brilliant health benefits.

ill try find some of the other broth recipes. Theres a very good broth/soup recipe that heals the intestinal tract for IBS/leaky gut sufferers.

Date: March 06, 2010 10:30PM

powerlifer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> no probs man, thats obviously a veggie broth, all
> broths including chicken, fish heads have
> brilliant health benefits.

What was the health benefit to the chicken and fish?

Date: March 07, 2010 10:58AM

Im not sure what nutrients it leaves behind like the veggie broths do, but i think the chicken and fish ones have veggies in them also. Ill have to check.

but there well known for boosting the immune system and able to clear up colds/flu fast.

Date: March 07, 2010 11:59AM

I was being cheeky winking smiley

I meant, what health benefits did the broth have for the poor chicken and fish...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2010 12:02PM by suspendedindefinitely.

Date: March 07, 2010 01:29PM

haha ohh yes never read it rightsmiling smiley

Posted by: dns ()
Date: March 07, 2010 07:57PM

A few years ago I did a water only fast. The goal was for 30 days. I was working 10 to 12 hour days at the time and in the middle of a nasty divorce. I made it only 13 days before I almost passed out. I could not work. But during that time someone told me that water fasts leave the body with nothing to do but begin to eat muscle tissue away. In his opinion it would eat the heart muscle. Any truth to that?

Date: March 07, 2010 08:03PM

You'd die before long before even if the body was able to self digest the heart. Which cant happen to my knowledge.

water fasting can be beneficial but for those with adrenal fatigue, hypoglycemia, diabetes, anorexia/eating disorders it can be fatal, ive seen people with chronic fatigue syndrome which 9/1 is just adrenal fatigue and in advanced cases or even minor most suffer from hypoglycemia and you get uninformed "naturopaths" these are just detox symptoms they'll pass. When people are getting dizzy, near passing out its crazy.

water fasts should only be attempted when not stressed, and its better if your not working either.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: March 08, 2010 06:51AM

You also have to be careful if you are on any medication. I take some for my underactive thyroid and have read (Dr Fuhrman) that in situations like mine you shouldn't fast more than 3 days without medical supervision. Trouble is I can't get that supervision here so I don't quite know what to do. I would like to try fasting though - although I think it will be hard with people eating all around me!!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables